MacInTouch Amazon link...

apfs

1. R

APFS / file systems

I'm going to start this new thread to cover Apple's new APFS file system (Apple File System) and related topics, because it's extremely important. Why? Because everything you do on your computer depends on the file system! If that's buggy, it's very bad news. If it's slow, you suffer. If it...
  2. M

migration/updates and compatibility

In the past I've restored hard drives by (SuperDuper!) cloning, but for setting up new machines I've always set them up from scratch and then copied data over. This is a lot of work. I have a 2013 iMac with macOS Sierra, and will soon receive a new iMac. I'm thinking of cloning the 2013 iMac...
  3. S

Finder issues, alternatives & performance

In spite of a few issues, I rather like Path Finder, which was mentioned once or twice earlier in this thread. I have not tried the 8.0 paid upgrade yet and am curious to hear any first impressions. TIA
  4. J

FileVault issues

I repurposed a purchased corporate MacBook Pro for my wife. I created a flash drive High Sierra installer, booted from it, formatted the Mac’s SSD drive as APFS (encrypted) with a passphrase, mounted it, and installed High Sierra. After the install and migration from her old Mac completed...
  5. K

startup & shutdown issues

Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac16,2 Processor Name: Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz 10.13.4 "upgrade" Startup stalls at about 40% on the progress bar most of the time now, not always. Do a hard restart and then it starts, although it does have a "pause-blink" as I would call...
  6. D

Disk Utility/alternatives/formatting etc.

Alsoft has posted an update to its DiskWarrior app that supports the new APFS and High Sierra 10.13.x https://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/highsierraapfs.html Hopefully it will be as useful and reliable as the older DiskWarrior has been!
  7. L

backup

I installed the new CCC 5.1 (Carbon Copy Cloner) version and allowed it to create APFS snapshots in my macOS 10.13.4 iMac’s internal SSD and on an external SSD that also is an APFS volume. It is happening quite unnoticed. Good so far.
  8. D

system imaging

Here is a thread with an actual question. Has there been any update on if/when Disk Utility will support disk imaging for APFS volumes or helping the process for using existing images. For almost my entire career in Mac work I have used disk images as a way to start with a clean install of the...

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.