MacInTouch Amazon link...

compatibility

1. R

synchronization

OK, I'm looking to develop a very robust workflow for coordinating two Macs, such that either one can be used at different times and places (e.g. a desktop and a laptop system), both are kept up to date, and neither one gets back-leveled by the changes. This seems nightmarish with two different...
  2. R

macOS 10.15 Catalina

I guess it's time to start a macOS 10.15 Catalina topic. Here's some news about Apple iOSifying iTunes (which became the company's worst Mac app after Apple bought the software from its original developers) - Apple will now convert iTunes into a collection of iOS-based apps for macOS 10.15.
  3. J

accounting/bookkeeping

I was surprised to get an email today describing the features of a new Mac version of QuickBooks Desktop (US only). I had been under the strong impression that the 2016 edition was the final version for the Mac, driven in part by communications with Intuit staff. Has anyone given the 2019...
  4. S

USB, FireWire & Thunderbolt

5. R

storage systems

Akitio announced an upcoming bundle of its Thunderbolt 3 PCIe enclosure with Intel's unique Optane storage media, with pre-ordering due to start next month:
  6. M

migration/updates and compatibility

In the past I've restored hard drives by (SuperDuper!) cloning, but for setting up new machines I've always set them up from scratch and then copied data over. This is a lot of work. I have a 2013 iMac with macOS Sierra, and will soon receive a new iMac. I'm thinking of cloning the 2013 iMac...
  7. K

photo software

Speaking of software that can be obtained directly from the developer: DxO has released their first package of Nik effects, which were ransomed to DxO after their mysterious exile on Planet Google. They require Sierra, and can be used with Photoshop, Elements, and Lightroom. The best news, to...
  8. M

PDFs, Preview & alternatives

I came across a strange PDF problem. Certain PDFs (they are American Express downloaded statements) don't allow me to delete pages in Preview as I do with most PDFs. From an old online comment, I discovered that if I export it as a PDF, I can then delete pages. I can't see what makes these PDFs...
  9. J

Safari, Firefox & other web browsers

I posted previously about new versions of Google Chrome actually working fine in Mavericks even though they claim they won't. I've now discovered that it's even more convoluted than I thought (and also, for the moment at least, more convenient). MacInTouch is today reporting that Google Chrome...
  10. C

macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I decided to try upgrading a MacBook Pro 15" 2012 to High Sierra. I'd upgraded a 2013 MacBook Pro, 2011 Mac Mini, and 2017 MacBook Pro 15" without issues, but the 2012 with a replaced internal hard disk drive to SSD upgrade hadn't been successful back when High Sierra was first released, so I had just...
  11. J

app vs. OS compatibility

On my Mavericks Mac, Google Chrome wouldn't update itself from version 65.0.3325.181 to the current version, 66.0.3359.139. It kept falsely claiming that the app was up-to-date. However, acting on a tip from another website, I downloaded the version 66.x installer file (.dmg) anyway, from...
  12. R

GPUs, eGPUs & graphics

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.