MacInTouch Amazon link...

security

1. R

Apple Card and alternatives

Here's a new thread for Apple's new credit card, starting with some related links: Apple: Apple Card press release Apple Card (website) How to apply for Apple Card How to use Apple Card Request and use your titanium Apple Card Manage your Apple Card account See your Apple Card spending history...
  2. R

drive security and recycling

I'm working with a client's old iMac with a very bad and very old internal drive, which has all their data and files on it. The drive is not accessible in the closed iMac design, but I can get some access via FireWire Target Disk Mode... while the thing is working, which is off and on. They...
  3. J

Linux

Hi Folks, I followed some posts here and elsewhere regarding creating an Ubuntu boot drive with Etcher and a new USB thumb drive. It worked, and I now can run Ubuntu 18.10 from that USB drive. But somehow in the installation, with my effort to place the entire Ubuntu setup only on the thumb...
  4. S

Internet of Things (IoT) security issues

I won't be buying a TappLock... The “world’s worst” smart padlock – it’s EVEN WORSE than we thought This fingerprint-verified padlock is extremely easy to hack
  5. C

Microsoft Office, security, and alternatives

I finally took the plunge and upgraded to 2016, since security updates stopped for 2011 some months ago. But ironically, I can't update 2016. Microsoft AutoUpdate freezes while loading. Nice. A support link...
  6. M

migration/updates and compatibility

In the past I've restored hard drives by (SuperDuper!) cloning, but for setting up new machines I've always set them up from scratch and then copied data over. This is a lot of work. I have a 2013 iMac with macOS Sierra, and will soon receive a new iMac. I'm thinking of cloning the 2013 iMac...
  7. G

anti-virus software

I have run mostly the web protection module portion of this sprawling app, Sophos Endpoint, for years without problems. However, recently I began to have very slow page loads with certain sites, including (especially) Facebook. Sometimes the loads would stall for moments and then load; sometimes...
  8. R

remote access and control

Greetings Colleen; There is a way of remote viewing another's iOS device but one won't have control of the other party's iOS device. It's slow, but it works. *It involves both parties to have Macs. Method: 1. Do a Screen Share of the other's Mac. 2. Have the other person plug their iOS...
  9. R

SSD, Fusion and flash drives

I've been watching the price of 4TB Samsung SSDs, which have been a little too pricy for me and still are, but Amazon has one today for much less than I'd seen before: Samsung 860 EVO 4TB 2.5 Inch SATA III $1,099.99 I don't know if this is a special or if there has been a big drop that I...
  10. C

Twitter

Twitter is recommending all 338 million users of their service change their password. Twitter users reacted to CTO Parag Agrawal's tweet about the situation, which he later clarified.
  11. R

AirPort issues/alternatives

Engadget got a statement from Apple confirming that it's abandoning its AirPort products
  12. F

Adobe (and Flash) security issues

I'm required to use a web application called GlobalMeet to participate in teleconferences for my work. The app currently requires Adobe Flash, which I removed from all my Macs years ago because of its security issues. (An HTML 5 version is apparently on the way but hasn't been released yet.) The...
  13. R

Facebook issues

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.