MacInTouch Amazon link...
Channels
Apple, Troubleshooting, Questions
Seeing another App Store update oddity. Just noticed a new most "recent" Update to Numbers is release date March 27, 2018.

Um, I Installed Numbers update version 5.0 (5576) on April 27. With no link to further info it's impossible to tell if the current "latest" has a slightly different versioning, unless I proceed with the "latest" update

;(

Last edited by a moderator:

SEG

I'm using Sierra, and always use Quicklook. My favorite macOS feature! It was working well on my Sierra install until either the upgrade of Safari to 11 or to 11.1 (I think it started with the .1 update).

Now, it seems all Quicklook works okay, except .webloc files! Used to be, I could Quicklook a webloc and see the web page contents. Now, all I get is a splash page with the file name and the option to open in Safari.

I've tried everything I can. I tried using another browser as default, but .webloc files are nowadays permanently linked to Safari, it seems. I can't change the "Open With" (it's grayed out), and, of course, can't preview pages.

Anybody ever see this? I can't find discussion on it. Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm using Sierra, and always use Quicklook. My favorite macOS feature! It was working well on my Sierra install until either the upgrade of Safari to 11 or to 11.1 (I think it started with the .1 update).
Here, in High Sierra and with Safari 11.1, Quicklook in .webloc files works fine. Also "Open with" on .webloc files shows all my installed browsers.

Here, in High Sierra and with Safari 11.1, Quicklook in .webloc files works fine. Also "Open with" on .webloc files shows all my installed browsers.
This is just to supply an additional data point. Here, using Sierra 10.12.6 (so not High Sierra like Ronald), Safari 11.1, I get a mix of the results previously cited. While I too can "Open with..." any and all installed browsers using the contextual menu, my Quicklook results in seeing only what SEG sees. I only see the splash page with number of bytes listed, date of last modification, the icon and "Open in Safari" button, not any web page contents.

Additional data point: using Sierra 10.12.6, default web browser set to Firefox (I also tried it set to Safari with the same result), Safari 11.1 installed, with Quicklook I only see the splash page with number of bytes listed.

I've tried everything I can. I tried using another browser as default, but .webloc files are nowadays permanently linked to Safari, it seems. I can't change the "Open With" (it's grayed out), and, of course, can't preview pages.
FYI you can now change the default Open With (for web browsers) via Apple menu > System preferences > General > Default Web Browser pop-up menu.

I'm using Sierra, and always use Quicklook... Now, it seems all Quicklook works okay, except .webloc files!
Same here - and it is also broken in Mail.app. There I used it often via the keyboard command <ctrl>-<cmd>-d to preview links included in the text of a message. It was very convenient. It still works in Safari, where I also often use this shortcut to look at a link instead of having to fully replace the contents of the current page (and then having to go back) or open a new full size tab or window.

This is on Sierra 10.12.6, Safari 11.1 (12605.1.33.1.4), and Mail 10.3 (3273).

I am seeing the same in El Cap with Safari 11.1 so it must be related to the Safari update.
There I used it often via the keyboard command <ctrl>-<cmd>-d to preview links included in the text of a message. It was very convenient. It still works in Safari, where I also often use this shortcut to look at a link instead of having to fully replace the contents of the current page (and then having to go back) or open a new full size tab or window.
Great tip. I never knew this. It works the same in El Cap.

Now, it seems all Quicklook works okay, except .webloc files! Used to be, I could Quicklook a webloc and see the web page contents. Now, all I get is a splash page with the file name and the option to open in Safari.

Anybody ever see this? I can't find discussion on it. Any ideas? Thanks!
Some more data points: Quicklook (.webloc) works fine on 2 Macs running High Sierra and Safari 11.1. However on 2 Macs running El Capitan and 11.1 I just get the generic splash page as you do.

Some more data points: Quicklook (.webloc) works fine on 2 Macs running High Sierra and Safari 11.1. However on 2 Macs running El Capitan and 11.1 I just get the generic splash page as you do.
Also seeing the same lack of Quicklook access to .webloc files on El Capitan with Safari version 11.1 (11605.1.33.1.3).

With Safari 11.1 running under El Cap, the App Store still indicates a Safari 11.1 update is available. My first thought was it must be a glitch of some kind, but further investigation indicates not. Have other El Cap users received two version 11.1 updates?

Does anyone know what has been changed / added in the newer version? It seems the Quicklook function on .webloc files was broken by the first version and not fixed by the later version on Sierra at least per Markus's post. Both versions point to the same page for info on security content at https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

I run with the “Download newly available updates in the background” setting in the App Store prefs and routinely grab and archive the installer bundles before applying them. Comparing the earlier Safari 11.1 (dated April 3 on my system) to the newer yet to be installed Safari 11.1 (dated April 24) they are definitely different. Below are snippets from the XML files that ride along with the installer package. (Differences marked in red.)

“APRIL 3” VERSION (77,839,774 bytes):
<key>PostDate</key>
<date>2018-03-29T23:06:04Z</date>
<key>ServerMetadataURL</key>
<string>http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/48/35/091-53908/de9c21etfdr2he3jggs0tftin2twci5xpe/Safari11.1ElCapitan.smd</string>

<pkg-ref id="SafariElCapitan" installKBytes="223166" version="1.0.0.0.1.1521667997">

if (system.compareVersions(plistKeyValue, '11605.1.33.1.3') &gt; 0) {
return false;

APRIL 24 VERSION (77,835,668 bytes):
<key>PostDate</key>
<date>2018-04-24T17:00:30Z</date>
<key>ServerMetadataURL</key>
<string>http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/58/50/091-79625/vbyg13c5jzegte5alg0dx9k5xvhgdu4ye5/Safari11.1ElCapitan.smd</string>

<pkg-ref id="SafariElCapitan" installKBytes="223166" version="1.0.0.0.1.1523670148">

if (system.compareVersions(plistKeyValue, '11605.1.33.1.4') &gt; 0) {
return false;

App Store is showing me on June 1 that Safari 11.1.1 is Available. This is a Security Update per the link to Apple's "Security Updates" page. Clicking the "update" button in App store returns the following: "The update has been deleted since being downloaded from the Apple Software Update server.(301)." No mention of this update's supposed deletion at the Security info site.

Also mentioned on the Security page is a June 1 Security Update 2018-003 for macOS (I'm on Sierra, to which this applies), which did not appear at all as an available item on the App Store updates page.

App Store is showing me on June 1 that Safari 11.1.1 is Available. This is a Security Update per the link to Apple's "Security Updates" page. Clicking the "update" button in App store returns the following: "The update has been deleted since being downloaded from the Apple Software Update server.(301)." No mention of this update's supposed deletion at the Security info site.
One of the computers I monitor for relatives (running Sierra, like yours) shows Safari 11.1.1 as having been installed twice. Perhaps there were two versions of the update, both labeled 11.1.1, and your computer is "stuck" on the first one. You might want to boot into Safe Mode to clear caches and then boot normally and see if that resolves the problem.

I just applied the 11.1.1 Safari update and the Security update to Sierra, and I was surprised by the way the Mac rebooted after the update completed. I have four user accounts on my MacBook Pro. Typically, when I reboot my computer intentionally, or when it reboots while idle (because of some glitch in my main user account that I've never been able to exorcise), it reboots to the login screen that allows me to choose among the four accounts. However, when the current updates finished installing, the reboot was to the login screen of my admin account where I'd been working, and the several applications that had been open before the reboot required by the Software Update activity were opened to their previous locations, including a private window in Safari.

My understanding of "Private" windows is that the URLs loaded are not stored when the window is closed. Interestingly, even though the private window reloaded at boot, when I tried typing its URL in the address bar, the domain name did not autocomplete, suggesting that this peculiar restart did not actually violate the "don't record this page in history" principle.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
Typically, when I reboot my computer intentionally, or when it reboots while idle (because of some glitch in my main user account that I've never been able to exorcise), it reboots to the login screen that allows me to choose among the four accounts. However, when the current updates finished installing, the reboot was to the login screen of my admin account where I'd been working....
This bizarre login-to-admin-account behavior is "normal" for Apple's software updates. In my case, the macOS 10.12 Sierra update logged into my admin account and started up the App Store automatically, throwing up Apple's obnoxious ad/hype page, which I had to quit out of. The automatic re-launch of Safari into a private page is weird but probably par for the course with today's Apple. Thanks for the heads-up on that.

By the way, I do not choose the preference to re-open windows/apps on restart - I specifically chose not to do that - but Apple does it anyway after a software update.

For those who are looking for the latest round of updates just released for your Macintosh, you may have a bit of a problem locating them if you are not careful. This is because Apple used the wrong date stamp when the files were posted. From the latest delta and combo updaters for 10.13.5 to the latest security updates for Sierra and El Capitan, each has been given a date stamp of Mar 29, 2018. The result mixes them in with the last batch of major updates released at the time of 10.13.4 on the same date.

https://support.apple.com/downloads

More quality control issues from the folks in Cupertino.

The App Store is offering me an update called "Command Line Tools (macOS High Sierra version 10.13) beta 1 for Xcode-10.0". I don't even have Xcode 10.0. Should I install this anyway?

The App Store is offering me an update called "Command Line Tools (macOS High Sierra version 10.13) beta 1 for Xcode-10.0". I don't even have Xcode 10.0. Should I install this anyway?
I'd hold off until you install Xcode 10. If you installed Xcode 9 check to see if it auto-updated to 10.

If you're a registered Apple Developer, you can turn off beta software in the App Store's Preferences. To turn betas back on you'll have to download and run the macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.

I'd hold off until you install Xcode 10. If you installed Xcode 9 check to see if it auto-updated to 10.

If you're a registered Apple Developer, you can turn off beta software in the App Store's Preferences. To turn betas back on you'll have to download and run the macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.
I don't have beta access enabled in the App Store, and my Xcode is still at 9.4. I put my MacBook to sleep before I left my home this morning, and when I got home I found the Command Line Tools update had been installed automatically. I tried out the command line in iTerm, and it seems to still be working OK, so far.

I don't have beta access enabled in the App Store, and my Xcode is still at 9.4. I put my MacBook to sleep before I left my home this morning, and when I got home I found the Command Line Tools update had been installed automatically. I tried out the command line in iTerm, and it seems to still be working OK, so far.
The tools that get installed are extras, so the built-in basic commands should work as before.

Apple really needs to fix the App Store app, it's far too buggy. I turned on betas yesterday to download Mojave. As soon as the download finished I turned betas off. Yet after a reboot the App Store reverted to betas on.

I really detest how the App Store keeps nagging me to turn on auto-updates. How many times do I have to say no before Apple accepts that I don't want auto-updating?

One of the computers I monitor for relatives (running Sierra, like yours) shows Safari 11.1.1 as having been installed twice. Perhaps there were two versions of the update, both labeled 11.1.1, and your computer is "stuck" on the first one. You might want to boot into Safe Mode to clear caches and then boot normally and see if that resolves the problem.
Update to my post... App Store showed Safari 11.1.1 as Installed (once for each time I had clicked the button), even though Safari Info said it was still at 11.1. App Store also still said Safari Update needed, and no appearance of the Security Update. Then, on June 3, both the Safari 11.1.1 and the Security 003 update appeared in App Store. Held my breath and clicked the Update button. Safari is updated, the Security Update applied.

I updated yesterday to the 10.13.5 update, and ran into an ongoing—and infuriating—issue I have with the OS updates on my iMac: Every time I install an Apple OS or security update, Messages stops working. I can sign in and out of my iCloud account inside Messages until I'm blue in the face (and language), but I cannot send or receive messages.

I end up having to go through a crazy, convoluted process to get it connected again, which often involves me having to sign out of my iCloud account in System Preferences (with its associated deletion of things like my keychain etc.), reboots, and so forth until it starts working again. I can't really tell which step actually fixes it, but it eventually gets reconnected properly.

I can't find any similar reports online anywhere, but I know that I'll need to go through 45 minutes to an hour of logging in and out of accounts repeatedly before it starts working again. Is anyone else having this sort of problem?

Every time I install an Apple OS or security update, Messages stops working. [...] I know that I'll need to go through 45 minutes to an hour of logging in and out of accounts repeatedly before it starts working again.
Rick, have you tried letting things simmer undisturbed for the first hour or so? There is the possibility that your efforts aren't the solution, rather your system and/or Apple's servers need time to get things sorted in the background. If 10.13.6 comes down the pike you could plan to do something enjoyable during that post update period to test this.

Rick, have you tried letting things simmer undisturbed for the first hour or so? There is the possibility that your efforts aren't the solution, rather your system and/or Apple's servers need time to get things sorted in the background. If 10.13.6 comes down the pike you could plan to do something enjoyable during that post update period to test this.
In a past update, yes, I did wonder if it was just a time-to-update thing, and left it for a while (knowing I could use Messages on my phone), but it never got synced back.

On my MacBook Pro, once I log in after an update, Messages works fine.

It's baffling (and infuriating) to me, but there must be something in my iMac setup that is contributing to it. I just can't seem to figure out what.

In a past update, yes, I did wonder if it was just a time-to-update thing, and left it for a while (knowing I could use Messages on my phone), but it never got synced back.

On my MacBook Pro, once I log in after an update, Messages works fine.

It's baffling (and infuriating) to me, but there must be something in my iMac setup that is contributing to it. I just can't seem to figure out what.
Rick, I know what you mean. I run two iMacs — a 2014 and a 2017. On one, Messages stopped sending texts after I updated to 10.13.5, and unlock with my Apple Watch no longer worked. They started functioning after I logged out of and back into iCloud. But both features continued to work on my other iMac.

I'm at the point where I expect flakiness with every update. In addition to these two iMacs, I maintain another iMac and two laptops. The update process itself is different on all of them, with a variable number of black screens that sometimes make it seem as if nothing is happening, progress bars that advance and recede, and time estimates that rise and fall. Occasionally, I've had the process begin, only to take me to the login screen with no update performed.

Is this better than the "old days," when it took hours to download Mac updates over slow modem connections and we then had to spend hours sorting out extension incompatibilities (thank goodness for Conflict Catcher!)? Maybe, but I'd have hoped for better by now.

Seem I didn’t learn last time. I accidentally hit the “update” button in the App Store and now my system is dead.

Mac Pro 5,1. Same as last time. It goes through the boot process with the gray apple logo and status bar. At the end, just a gray screen with some random pixels.

I booted into recovery mode and, like last time, Disk Utiliiy would not scan the disk. Something was mounted which blocked DU from working.

I decided to skip all the little stuff and jump right to the previous solution. Internet Recovery Mode, reformat boot disc, reinstall system and restore from Time Machine.

Not a good idea.

During that startup, it asked me to connect a mouse. My trackpad was working fine a minute ago. Now, it won’t connect at all to the Mac Pro. It will pair fine with my laptop. Wired keyboard works fine. The Mac Pro is useless without a mouse. Recovery mode apparently requires a mouse.

Any ideas for working around this? Can’t find any wired mice locally. Ordering from Amazon takes two days at best. I can't afford that much down time.

I'm sorry for your problem Joe. As a backup, I always have a wired Apple mouse around, even though I use a wired Kensington Expert Mouse Pro. I do have the Mighty Mouse and Trackpad 1 bluetooth devices paired with my Mac Pro. Just love to keep options open.

I haven't experienced Joe's problem, but then I hate the App Store so much I try to stay off it. I do keep a generic wired mouse and an aluminum Apple keyboard around. (Similar to the idea that I keep a plain old dial telephone. Will work in many emergency situations.) I've been through so many systems and peripherals over the years that this doesn't require much effort. Recommend this "preparedness" to everyone.

…Recovery mode apparently requires a mouse.

Any ideas for working around this? Can’t find any wired mice locally. Ordering from Amazon takes two days at best. I can't afford that much down time.
Just in case it wasn't thought of: grocery stores, drug stores, maybe even gas stations and convenience stores have computer supplies these days.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I completely forgot about Staples. Never thought about a dollar store. I thought about the Microsoft store but was worried they would only have an expensive one that might need drivers. Like others, I used to have a wired mouse or two laying around. They all disappeared as I was the one who lent them to others for their emergencies. :)

Turns out that my local BestBuy had an $8 wired mouse that was up to the task (despite their website claiming the local store didn't carry that item). My biggest concern was the need for drivers. Luckily, this cheap one works right out of the box.

Sorry if it was a bit of a rant, but I hope it was a warning to others. I still cannot believe that with Apple no longer selling wired mice, they make it impossible to set up a machine when the wireless connection goes wrong.

Another thing to keep on hand is a fast flash drive, preferably with an OS installed. I had to install and boot from a flash drive, and it was a test of patience working with a slow stick (the only one I had available at the moment).

There's definitely something odd happening here. I had the same exact problem in March with the system update.

Also strange that my trackpad got messed up when booting via Internet Recovery (which I'm not convinced was working properly for me). After my restore, it still wasn't working. It was listed as a Bluetooth device in System Preferences but would not connect. I removed it from the list, and then it connected right away. Odd.

Another strange thing... before it let me install the OS on my newly reformatted drive (internal SSD), it performed a firmware update. The same thing happened in March when the OS update trashed my system.

I have a sticky on my monitor now - "No system updates via the App Store!"

... $8 wired mouse that was up to the task (despite their website claiming the local store didn't carry that item). My biggest concern was the need for drivers. Luckily, this cheap one works right out of the box.
It's the cheap ones that work best. If your mouse only has basic features (left button, right button and a wheel), then Apple has built-in support via its generic USB driver.

You only need software for mice that have extra things like configurable resolutions, mutli-axis wheels, extra buttons, etc. - in other words, for the expensive gaming/special-purpose mice.

For what it's worth, I gave up on mouse drivers many years ago. I have found that even fancy mice with numerous buttons in odd places work just fine — you just “lose” the manufacturer’s macro software, generally. I’m sure there are exceptions. As for me, I’m using a Dell mouse now, of all things. It’s nicely shaped, cheap, laser-based, and wired.

Since I have intermittent irregularities with dropping Bluetooth connections of both my Apple Magic Mouse v.1 (AA batteries + El Capitan) on both my 2010 Mac Minis, I keep a wired USB mouse near each, and have to use it more than I care to admit. I use Apple wired USB aluminum keyboards with a USB port on each side, and the mouse connects every time.

I recommend the Amazon Basics wired USB El Cheapo mouse .... 3-button with scroll wheel... $6.95, works flawlessly, no drivers required, free shipping with Prime. The really long USB cable is a little flimsy, so use gently. Be sure and use Ric's MacInTouch Amazon link as always.

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts