MacInTouch Amazon link...

Apple photo software/alternatives

Channels
Apple, Troubleshooting, Products, Questions
I do most of my Photos app work on my iPad Pro, but some features are missing that are available on the Mac version of Photos. In particular, changing dates and locations of photos ... and manually ID'ing heads in photographs.

So I thought: why not VNC into my home office Mac from my living room iPad via my WIFI LAN and run Mac Photos? Changing dates and locations works fine, but apparently there is no screensharing-based remote app that can move or resize the circle that you have to put around a face to manually name a person in Mac Photos. It is seemingly a bug in Screen Sharing or in Photos.

Does anyone have an iOS app that can (remotely) move and resize that naming circle? Can Astropad do this? Thanks!

Update: I signed up for the 7-day trial of Astropad Studio ... and can confirm that it can move and resize the “name circle” in Mac Photos. A cheaper, less baroque alternative would be preferred, though. It is far more program than I need for my purpose.

[Re Apple quality problems] I have reluctantly been using Apple Photos, despite the poorly designed Interface.

However, I seem to have discovered a serious bug. I have been Importing my pictures (to miss confusion with the word "Photos"), and they move into the areas I wanted them to. However, today I added a couple more to the input foder and found several months' pictures still there.

So, to clean up, I deleted the pictures in the input folder, and lo and behold, they disappeared from the main Photos folder. Luckily, I checked the deleted pictures folder (which appears when something has been deleted). I found my pictures and returned them to the main Photos folder.

This is a serious bug.

[Re Apple quality problems] I have reluctantly been using Apple Photos, despite the poorly designed Interface.

However, I seem to have discovered a serious bug. I have been Importing my pictures (to miss confusion with the word "Photos"), and they move into the areas I wanted them to. However, today I added a couple more to the input foder and found several months' pictures still there.

So, to clean up, I deleted the pictures in the input folder, and lo and behold, they disappeared from the main Photos folder. Luckily, I checked the deleted pictures folder (which appears when something has been deleted). I found my pictures and returned them to the main Photos folder.

This is a serious bug.
This is somewhat speculation, since I still use iPhoto, not Photos, but in iPhoto there is an option to import the photos into the iPhoto library. If this is not checked (Preferences:Advanced), it leaves the photos in their original location. I suspect that the option to copy into the library is unchecked, which means that Photos is using the image files from their location on your drive. When you deleted the photos from the "input folder", you are actually deleting the originals.

And, as Apple would say, this is a "feature, not a bug". This is one reason that I copy into the library. And, after doing so, delete the originals on the drive. The other thing that must be emphasized is to have backups so, when something unexpected pops up, you can revert easily.

I have a Photos library in my Pictures folder, some 28 GB, about the same as my iPhoto library, as I still maintain iPhoto. I am assuming if Photos was using my originals (in separate folders in the Pictures folder) there would not be a Photos Library file. I have only had this problem since the latest upgrade to 10.13.5

I did notice some preferences in other applications were changed with the upgrade, especially mail spelling prefs. Without digging into Time Machine, I will not know if the Photos prefs were changed.

Checking today, the prefs did not say to move the photos into the Photos Library, I have updated it. As I mentioned, this is the first time that the Import folder was not emptied automatically that I noticed. Checking the iPhoto prefs, it was still set to import to iPhoto Library. Since Apple is not supporting iPhoto, I assume they did not change the prefs.

Just spoke with Apple Support (2nd level). Since High Sierra, this behavior is a "documented feature" and is a change from Sierra.

Now the Imports "folder" (it is actually a linked list; it used to be Recent Imports) will contain all the imports. Very poor, since it has no history to go further back than High Sierra. Obviously Apple has programmers with nothing more useful to do than make poorly-designed, unnecessary changes.

I see that Apple has some related support articles (actually, a confusing collection of them), including...
What they do not say is that, if like before, I clean up my import folder by deleting the already-imported pictures, Photos deletes the imported pictures, too!!

Now the Imports and Photos tags are one file (obviously to save space for IOS and maintain compatability). Would have been so easy to add a note when you open imports to say, if you delete files from here, they are deleted from your Photos library. There is no valid reason for an imports folder now, as you can drag a picture or group directly into the Photos folder.

So, to clean up, I deleted the pictures in the input folder, and lo and behold, they disappeared from the main Photos folder. Luckily, I checked the deleted pictures folder (which appears when something has been deleted). I found my pictures and returned them to the main Photos folder. This is a serious bug.
Report to Apple then. There is their "Radar" thing [if you have an Apple Developer account], where you can report bugs and missing features, and these bug reports are then "within the system". They are read, and understood, and many times fixed. Also, when Apple provides a fix, you (the creator of the Radar report) will be notified.

[Re Apple quality problems] I have reluctantly been using Apple Photos, despite the poorly designed Interface. However, I seem to have discovered a serious bug. I have been Importing my pictures (to miss confusion with the word "Photos"), and they move into the areas I wanted them to. However, today I added a couple more to the input foder and found several months' pictures still there.

So, to clean up, I deleted the pictures in the input folder, and lo and behold, they disappeared from the main Photos folder. Luckily, I checked the deleted pictures folder (which appears when something has been deleted). I found my pictures and returned them to the main Photos folder. This is a serious bug.
I don't see this as a bug. I see it as expected behavior of a Smart album, which "Imports" is. In this, it is no different than "Videos" or "Favorites" or "People" or a Smart album I create.

If I hit Delete in an album I have created, the photo is deleted from that album but not from the Library. If I try that in a Smart album (like Imports), I get an alert tone, and nothing deletes. If I hit Command-Delete in any album or Smart album, the photo is deleted from the Library and hence the album. (As you discovered it doesn't permanently delete the photo but just transfers it to the "Recently Deleted" album.)

For me, the Imports album is a way of sorting my photos based not on their date but when I actually imported them. No extra space is used on your hard drive.

I just realized it's a possibility you are confusing "Imports" with a temporary folder that shows up when you browse to a folder in Finder that you want to "Review For Import". That folder disappears when you complete the import.

Does the Apple TV find the photos imported by Image Capture like it does iPhoto & Photos?
The principle of Image Capture is to get the photos easily imported to your computer's main storage, you then choosing what you want to do with the images. This also gives you the opportunity to make a backup/archive of these images in their native format/original versions before anything has been done to them. You can then import them into your photo manager of choice e.g. iPhoto/Photos. For example, my workflow is based on this:
  1. Take photos on iOS device
  2. Create a folder on the Mac computer's Desktop e.g. "2018_06_26 Photos from Prague" (Name the folder however you want, but if you use reverse dates first and quality text/words, the folders will be sortable by date order and easy to search/find via Spotlight.)
  3. Open Image Capture on the Mac.
  4. Connect the iOS device to the Mac and unlock it.
  5. Select the iOS device under the Devices list on the left (note that once you do this, in the bottom left there are options for automatically opening a specific application, or none, when you connect that particular iOS device and also to automatically delete images from the iOS device after they have been imported).
  6. In Image Capture, select the folder you just created on the Mac Desktop as the "Import To:" location using the 'Other' option from the pop-up menu.
  7. Import all the images to that new folder.
  8. Disconnect your iOS Device and Quit Image Capture.
  9. Backup/archive the newly populated image folder, e.g. "2018_06_26 Photos from Prague" - i.e. run Time Machine, copy the folder to another storage device/up to the cloud, etc.
  10. Open your photo manager of choice e.g. iPhoto/Photos.
  11. Import the newly populated image folder e.g. "2018_06_26 Photos from Prague" (This can usually be done via a simple drag and drop from the Desktop - at least this works for Apple's Photos.) The photos should now be available to an Apple TV in the normal way.
  12. Delete (you did backup/archive the new folder in step 9 didn't you?) or store/file the image folder on your Mac's primary storage.

It's not a bug. All photos imported into a Photos library go into the Imports and Photos windows (which will include Collections and Years view). Those [are] Photos-created albums, and any photo deleted from any of those "smart albums" will be deleted from the library. Even if you drag a folder of photos into an album for importing, they also go into those previously mentioned smart albums. The following may help:

Deleting Photos from a Photos Library

1. Regardless of where you are in the library, i.e. Moments, Collections, albums, smart albums or projects, select the photo(s) you want to delete and use the key combination of Command+Delete to move the photos to the Recently Deleted smart album.

2. Click on the Recently Deleted smart albums in the sidebar.

Note 1: If you're using Photos 1.2 or earlier use the File ➙ Show Recently Deleted menu option.

3. In the Recently Deleted album you can opt to let the photo automatically delete after the 30-day waiting period is up, delete them immediately, or restore them to the library.

Note 2: Deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with the Delete key only deletes the photo from that item. There is no key combination that will delete a photo from a project and move it directly to the Recently Deleted smart album.

Note 3: Deleting a photo from a Moment or Collection (the Photos window) or the All Photos window deletes all occurences of that photo in the library.

I do have one comment about the app "Photos". For the life of me, I can't figure out where Apple came up with the group that did the programming for Photos. It seems they went out of their way to create an application that does everything to make working with files difficult. One of the reasons I have used Apple computers was the ease that it took in arriving at solutions, etc. I have had very little need to use the app Photos, until I made the jump from a flip phone to an iPhone. My good fortune is I don't use my iPhone for photography, very often, so I have had little opportunity to experience the transfer of photographs from my iPhone to my iMac.

... Photos. It seems they went out of their way to create an application that does everything to make working with files difficult. ... My good fortune is I don't use my iPhone for photography, very often, so I have had little opportunity to experience the transfer of photographs from my iPhone to my iMac.
Two comments.

The first is that when you work with Photos (and iPhoto before it), you aren't expected to know the location on your hard drive of the image files. And you don't have to. You can drag/drop images from the app to a folder if you need to copy them somewhere. You can also copy images from the app and paste them into another app. There are also "export" commands that let you make copies of the version you're viewing or the original (pre-editing) version, with or without transcoding to a different resolution/format.

Second is that if you don't like Photos, you don't have to use it to transfer pictures from your iPhone. You can use Image Capture to copy the files to a folder of your choosing. You can then do what you like with those files.

You can (using preferences in Image Capture) select what app gets launched when you plug in a phone. You can select any Apple photo app that's installed on the Mac (Photos, iPhoto, Aperture or Image Capture), or none. I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that you can select any arbitrary app as well, but it won't be useful if the app doesn't have the ability to transfer photos from your device.

So here is my summary of three reasonable ways to go:

1) Go whole hog into the Apple Cloud environment. Rent enough storage on iCloud to host your whole Photo Library and whatever other iCloud services you use. Enable iCloud Photo Library, so that your pictures become available through Apple Photos whenever the Photos app has sufficient Internet access, and never use any Import options for transfers between Apple devices. Or:

2) Like 1), but substitute Dropbox, Google Photos, or any other 'complete' camera-to-computer solution for iCloud. Or:

3) Put each device in its own island. Use Image Capture to transfer photos to a user-specified location on the computer. After perhaps some editing via single-purpose apps, use the import function of your favorite photo app to import the photos from the computer file system into whatever organizational scheme the app supports. Alternatively, use a photo app that works directly with the computer's file system.
I think any one of these three solutions is reasonable; trying to mix them results in disaster or heavy redundancy. For many years, I used Alternative 3 (using a variety of cameras) and using successively Graphic Converter, Photoshop Elements, and Aperture as my photo software); I now use Alternative 1.

The helper apps I used when using Alternative 3 were EXIF Renamer to change file names of the imported photo files from sequenced number-based names to the EXIF Date and Time taken, and an app (initially Houdah Geo and then GPS4cam) to merge GPS data into the photo metadata. I still use these when adding photos from non-IOS sources to my photo collection.

I use Adobe Lightroom CC to catalog and make initial changes to overall image characteristics. More complex changes and printing are done in Photoshop.

Images are stored on external hard drives, with multiple copies managed with Carbon Copy Cloner. iCloud storage is not economical, considering the large number of photographic files that are generated.

Camera files have unique names - allows for tracking of possible camera hardware problems - similar to what I did with film Leicas; in that case, each camera's film gate had its own notch to identify the camera.

Years ago I attempted briefly to like iPhoto, out of curiosity rather than need, and couldn’t. It felt like putting on oven mitts and trying to play piano. When I got my first iPad, I bought Photo Transfer App, and have used it ever since to transfer images from my iPhones and iPads to my Macs. It just works. I have my own system for organizing images, using the plain old Finder. I know where everything is.

For dSLR images, I also use the Finder to transfer from my card (in a card reader) to my Mac. Those images are organized by camera, within which images are organized in folders named by date (year-month-day) plus info about location or subject. This keeps them listed chronologically. Since I have several cameras, I use NameMangler to append a camera-identifying prefix to each image. NameMangler is another “just works” app.

I use Bridge and DxO to process and review the images, with occasional experiments with a couple of other apps that I would like to like eventually. My preferred image editor is still Photoshop.

Earlier this year I had a brief fling with iCloud Photo Library which I foolishly enabled on all my devices: iMac, iPhone, iPad, three Apple TVs. I imported about 50K photos from an external drive and enabled "Keep Folder Organization".

I strongly disliked the way this worked, so I turned everything off, deleted "Photos Library.photoslibrary" and started over. This time I enabled iCloud Photo Library only on the iMac and enabled My Photo Stream on my other devices. This pretty much does what I want.

Trouble is, all the devices except the iMac are left with about 400 completely empty folders on each, including the Apple TVs. I can't figure out any way to delete these except one-by-one on each device.

Anyone have a better idea as to how to get rid of these empty folders?

I have uploaded a brief iPad screen capture video showing what I'm dealing with:
http://www.mgnewman.com/blogger/phantom_photos_folders.mp4
(If you're using Safari you need to click on the tiny preview image to get the video to play.)

You can (using preferences in Image Capture) select what app gets launched when you plug in a phone. You can select any Apple photo app that's installed on the Mac (Photos, iPhoto, Aperture or Image Capture), or none. I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that you can select any arbitrary app as well, but it won't be useful if the app doesn't have the ability to transfer photos from your device.
Yes, but... what if your preferred app for downloading camera images is Nikon Transfer 2.x (a nested app of the free Nikon View suite provided with Nikon cameras), which is quite capable, if quirky.

Even when Nikon Transfer is installed, the Mac will still try to coax you to use Photos to download the first time. So when Image Capture opens to do just that, you have to click the + icon in the lower left corner under the "Open with... " submenu and click in to your choice of alternate app, in my case, Nikon Transfer 2. You will need to do this with every camera and every standalone formatted photo SD memory card. Thankfully, it only needs to be done once, and Image Capture will remember your preference....

I use GraphicConverter 10.6.x as my sorter, cataloguer, and initial editor, and Affinity Photo for retouching, and occasionally I revert to Photoshop CS5 - all of which utilize the Nik Software plugin bundle. No need of Aperture or Lightroom because of that. I do cheat by using Preview for drivebys, though.

By the way, near as I know, Nikon Transfer 2 is available as freeware from Nikon if you don't own Nikon gear (check me on that, please), and NT2 conveniently also works to download photos and videos from my iPod Touch mini-tablet, by following the above setup. I presume it would work as well with a full fledged iPhone, because the Touch is basically an iPhone without the phone circuits. Both OSX and iOS are at least compliant enough to let a 3rd-party app take over gracefully.

Years ago I attempted briefly to like iPhoto, out of curiosity rather than need, and couldn’t.
For those, like Kathryn, who either haven't used Photos in a while or those who have not used it at all I would like to recommend Graham Roger's weekly blog: Extensions.

http://www.extensions.in.th/amitiae/2018/6_2018/workflow1.html

Graham writes about many topics related to Apple, cameras, photography and more. His comments on the evolution of Photos may be of interest to some of MacInTouch's readers & posters. The link above is to his most recent posting about Photos.

I find Graham's comments insightful, realistic, honest and enjoyable to read. Many of the photos that he posts are a pleasure to see!

Yes, but... what if your preferred app for downloading camera images is Nikon Transfer 2.x (a nested app of the free Nikon View suite provided with Nikon cameras), which is quite capable, if quirky.

Even when Nikon Transfer is installed, the Mac will still try to coax you to use Photos to download the first time. So when Image Capture opens to do just that, you have to click the + icon in the lower left corner under the "Open with... " submenu and click in to your choice of alternate app, in my case, Nikon Transfer 2. You will need to do this with every camera and every standalone formatted photo SD memory card. Thankfully, it only needs to be done once, and Image Capture will remember your preference....
To avoid the above, I have resorted to simply disabling Image Capture on my main system drive, which is where I do nearly all of my work with images. I zip Image Capture to keep it around in case of emergency and then delete the application.

When I got my first iPad, I bought Photo Transfer App, and have used it ever since to transfer images from my iPhones and iPads to my Macs. It just works.
A thank-you to Kathryn Jenkins for the recommendation of Photo Transfer App. It certainly looks interesting!

I'd like to hear what makes it superior to Image Capture for your workflow. Does it have any features designed to avoid duplicate downloads, for example? Image Capture has no memory from one session to the next, which can lead to a mess if one is not careful.

... Image Capture has no memory from one session to the next, which can lead to a mess if one is not careful.
Image Capture does have a memory from one session to the next, as long as you are importing photos to the same folder. Photos that have already been imported to the current folder are indicated with a green check mark. If you switch to a different folder, then there is no indication of what has already been imported.

Image Capture does have a memory from one session to the next, as long as you are importing photos to the same folder.
I did notice the green checks that appear after an import, but on my system, (OS X 10.10.5), if I quit Image Capture and relaunch it, there are no more green checks, even though I have not changed folders.

Maybe mine is malfunctioning?

A thank-you to Kathryn Jenkins for the recommendation of Photo Transfer App. It certainly looks interesting! I'd like to hear what makes it superior to Image Capture for your workflow. Does it have any features designed to avoid duplicate downloads, for example? Image Capture has no memory from one session to the next, which can lead to a mess if one is not careful.
It allows you to transfer to and from an iPhone or iPad. Seems to me that when I got the app in 2012, syncing photos off my first iPad was a fairly clunky process that I wanted to avoid. I can’t compare it to Image Capture, because I can’t recall using it for anything on a regular basis.

Photo Transfer App must be installed on each device that you want to transfer to or from. It offers you a resizable browser and allows you to select and transfer whichever images you choose, to whatever location you choose on your destination device. I have folders set up on my main Mac for images from each device, within which are folders for the year: iPhone 6/2015/ and so forth. I use NameMangler to add a prefix to batches of images, identifying the source device: ip6_IMG1234.jpg — and so on. I generally go through them and add some sort of subject info to the file names. I really would like to be able to sometimes add subject info to images using the Photos app on my iPhone, but it doesn’t seem to be possible.

One really nice thing about Photo Transfer App is that the older version of it that is installed on my Snow Leopard drive still just works with the later versions installed on my iPhone. One really unfortunate thing is that it is only available through the stinking App Store, so you can’t get older versions of the app for use with older OS versions.

Seems like the right place for a little heads up. DxO, having purchased Nik from Google, has issued the entire Nik suite for under US$50. They say it's "new" but actually as I discovered to my chagrin, all of the apps/plugins have the same version as numbers as the free Google versions. If you have the free Google versions, you do not need the DxO ones. Also, DxO Labs is in bankruptcy administration. Unlike me in this instance, do your homework.

For those, like Kathryn, who either haven't used Photos in a while or those who have not used it at all I would like to recommend Graham Roger's weekly blog: Extensions.
http://www.extensions.in.th/amitiae/2018/6_2018/workflow1.html
Thanks for that link. On it, I found mention of Photo Investigator for iOS, which I hoped might solve the problem of not being able to view a photo's title (not the file name). Alas, no luck. I know the title is available somewhere in iOS Photos, since I can search for titles. The problem is, if I am viewing a photo, there is no way to see the title in Photos or any add-on app I have looked at.

Seems like the right place for a little heads up. DxO, having purchased Nik from Google, has issued the entire Nik suite for under US$50. They say it's "new" but actually as I discovered to my chagrin, all of the apps/plugins have the same version as numbers as the free Google versions. If you have the free Google versions, you do not need the DxO ones. Also, DxO Labs is in bankruptcy administration. Unlike me in this instance, do your homework.
That is such depressing news. I really like their RAW processing capability. I hope they can survive.

If you have iPhoto installed, you should be able to use its preferences to disable any application from launching when any camera-like device is attached. According to people on Stack Exchange, this should still work even today.

According to a post on Super User, the following preference should also disable all auto-launching when devices are attached:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES

...According to a post on Super User, the following preference should also disable all auto-launching when devices are attached:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES
This must be for an earlier version of the OS. When I tried:
Bash:
defaults read com.apple.ImageCapture
High Sierra replied, "Domain com.apple.ImageCapture does not exist."

High Sierra replied, "Domain com.apple.ImageCapture does not exist."
The "defaults" tool doesn't have that much brains. The "domain" corresponds to a .plist file in either ~/Library/Preferences or /Library/Preferences. My guess is that you don't have any file named ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.ImageCapture.plist.

Looking at my own (ElCap) system, it appears that it has been renamed at some point. The file in my ~/Library/Preferences folder is com.apple.Image_Capture.plist (with an underscore). Try this:
Bash:
defaults write com.apple.Image_Capture disableHotPlug -bool YES
(You may need to log out/in, or maybe even reboot in order to make the changes take effect, since this preference impacts that auto-launch of apps)

No guarantees here, but worth a try. Either the OS still supports the preference or it doesn't. If it doesn't, you won't hurt anything - it will just be adding a preference that the code ignores.

My daughter activated iCloud Photo Library, primarily as a way of dealing with the fact that her phone (a 2-year-old iPhone SE) doesn't have enough storage to hold all the photos she takes. So as she takes photos, they all go to iCloud, and the phone only caches the ones she's actually looking at.

But now she wants a local archive, in case something happens to the iCloud storage. And she'd like to purge images from the phone in order to make room for other content. I don't think it's possible to delete images from the phone without also deleting them from iCloud, which is clearly not acceptable.

Is there a good way to download her iCloud photo library to local storage (probably into a non-cloud Photos library on a Mac)? And do it in a way that they pictures are not tied to iCloud, so they won't get deleted from local storage if/when they are later deleted from iCloud?

I first considered just enabling iCloud Photo Library on her Photos library, but that will cause Photos to upload all of her old pictures to the cloud. This will force us into a larger storage subscription and will take a lot of time. It will also bind the two libraries together so deletion from the cloud will wipe the local copies. Neither of these options are desirable.

I'm thinking that it might work if I create a new (empty) Photos library and, with that open, enable iCloud Photo Library. But I have a lot of questions about that approach. Will that just download what's in the cloud without uploading anything? Is the iCloud Photo Library setting bound to the app or to the library? If I use it on one library to download everything from iCloud and then switch back to the original library, will it try to sync that one as well? If I download everything and then disable iCloud Photo Library, will it purge my local library of the images? Or will they remain stored locally, so I can move them (export/import or maybe with a script of some kind) into the original library?

What do the experts here think? And is there an easier approach (maybe a way to just download the iCloud Photo Library without actually binding Photos to it)?

I'm thinking that it might work if I create a new (empty) Photos library and, with that open, enable iCloud Photo Library. ...
Since I'm impatient, I decided to try this without waiting for a response.

Fortunately, my fears (of forcibly uploading everything) were unfounded. As it turns out, Photos can only sync iCloud to one library - the one declared the "system" library. So I created a new blank library and declared it "system" (via a button in the app preferences), at which point I enabled iCloud Photo Library, and it downloaded everything.

After that finished downloading, I launched Photos with the original library and did a drag/drop of the "Masters" folder (in the library now synced with iCloud) in order to import them into the non-iCloud-sync'ed library. It's taking a while to complete (since there's about 7 GB of content), but it seems to be working without incident.

And Photos did its usual bit detecting duplicates - I told it to not import duplicates and checked the box to apply that to all duplicates. Since the images were never edited (and not organized into albums, etc.), there's no custom metadata to worry about losing.

After the import completes, I will re-launch Photos with the iCloud-sync'ed library and turn off iCloud Photo Library. If it ends up wiping the local copy, I won't care, because everything has been copied into the main (non-sync'ed) library. And if it doesn't, that's fine too, since I'll be deleting that library once I no longer need it anyway.

It is still frustrating to have to do this. Windows users, ironically, have a simple app to just bulk-download an iCloud Photo Library, but Mac users have to go through Photos or iPhoto, it seems.

Actually, you should do your homework. They are not the same. Yes, the suite is identical, but there is one big difference: with High Sierra, now, they work the way they are supposed to work and the way they originally worked.

The NIK plugins had stopped working after High Sierra killed them. I actually created a partition running an older OS, just in case I needed to use them with Photoshop CC. NIK did post some workaround, but it would not apply the effect to a different layer, which is something that many of us who use the plugins needed. This was the original functionality. I had moved to MacPhun's suite, but they had destructive editing, as well - ie: you could not apply the effect onto its own layer.

When DxO bought it, they made that one crucial fix and restored the functionality that had been broken. For people who work with photos all day, this was critical and well worth the $49.

I hope DxO doesn't cease operations but, for the moment, the NIK plugins again work the way they originally did.

You shouldn't need to delete any photos from the phone to save space. iOS can do that for you automatically. In iOS 11, go to Settings->Photos and select Optimize iPhone Storage.

The description for that setting is "If your iPhone is low on space, full-resolution photos and videos are automatically replaced with optimized versions. Full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud."

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts