Is it possible that the auto update was on and downloaded a prior version before you thought you were downloading from Apple fresh? I always tell my clients to go into the applications folder and delete any installer in that folder first. Then download fresh and this does not occur in my experience.Yesterday's experience with Apple security updates wasn't great:
- Boot into High Sierra (on 2017 iMac 5K), download Mojave installer via Mac App Store.
- Run installer — it takes a long time and appears to be successful.
- macOS 10.14.6 update needs to be installed.
- Update ends with iMac powered on but screen blank.
- Leave overnight. Same situation in the morning.
- Power off, then back on, using power button.
- Checking System Information:
- macOS 10.14.6 (18G87)
Boot ROM Version: 184.108.40.206.0
SMC Version (system): 2.41f1
- macOS 10.14.6 Update is listed twice under Installations (5 minutes apart); macOS installs are not listed
- Checking SilentKnight, MRT needs an update and CompatibilityNotificationData_10_14-1.0.6 is listed as pending
- Have SilentKnight Install All Updates; it then reports:
Latest updates installed:
XProtect 2019-05-02 01:53:46 +0000 : 2103
Gatekeeper 2019-08-01 01:25:08 +0000 : 175
MRT 2019-08-09 12:15:22 +0000 : 1.47