MacInTouch Amazon link...

Apple TV, apps & alternatives

Channels
Apple, Troubleshooting
I decided to catch up on some Walking Dead via Apple iTunes on my AppleTv (4gen). HDTV is on, AppleTV lit, and soundbar is on. Screen shows last show I watched the night before. So, I menu back and screen stalls...then goes, then stalls. No artifacts. Just a blanking (black) every 5 seconds. I power TV off/on...same thing. I get to ATV settings and select updates (none avail) and then choose to restart it.

It never comes back up (LED on, TV input sees no input). I pull powercord on the ATV. Wait 30 secs.
Power back up. Still, HDTV doesn't recognize it. I pulled all cables off the ATV (ethernet, HDMI and power). Then put it all back. ATV is finally recognized and I can now navigate, download and finish the season of Walking Dead without issues (other than...very disappointed in the show).

So...what happened to the ATV? Did it hang with networking? I doubt it. Did it hang on HDMI output? I suspect this. I will keep an eye on this, but I wonder if anyone else has had a hang that power cycling alone didn't resolve.

Anyone else with 4th gen ATV notice how slow it is to come on? I worry that with each "iOS" update, it is forcing us to upgrade because of hardware limitations they no longer care about (code is better on the A10x than the A8 processor)...?

Last edited by a moderator:

I have had a somewhat similar (but possibly unrelated) experience with my 4th Gen AppleTV. In my case, it will on occasion simply refuse to display a picture, even though the light is on and it appears to be responding to button presses on a remote (the light blinks in response to pushing a button, that is, which I've noticed it doesn't the couple of times ATV is simply hung).

In my case the problem appears to be with my home theater receiver, not the AppleTV, since the only thing that will restore picture is power-cycling the home theater receiver. Turn it off and back on, and everything comes up immediately. Since it's still doing something I'm not sure whether the problem is an internal hang or some sort of problem with the HDMI handshake.

Personally, I've noticed my 4th gen getting better with each update--a lot of the UI glitches and short hangs seem to have been resolved over progressive updates.

In my case the problem appears to be with my home theater receiver
I have problems between my receiver and the television where the HDMI handshake fails and I get no picture, and the solution is to turn everything off and and restart. If that doesn't work then I start the TV first, then start the receiver and choose the input source on each manually. All this is with ROKU and over the air TV, but the symptoms sound the same as with your ATV. Maybe new receivers do better; mine is one HDCP version behind.

I've seen HDMI handshake problems in the past. You can do what you're doing, which might be the most convenient if you have suitable remote controls for everything.

In the past, I have found that manually disconnecting and reconnecting one of the HDMI cables will work, but that can be a real pain since you have to walk over to the TV and deal with what may well be a rats-nest of cables.

At the time, I also used an HDMI switch (since my TV only had one HDMI input). This switch had a remote control. I found that I could fix most HDMI timing problems by telling the switch-box to change sources and then change back. Effectively the same as pulling cables but without needing to reach around the back of my equipment.

About 25% of the time the screen has a pink cast when my Vizio TV first powers up. When I navigate to another screen the pink usually goes away but may or may not come back. disconnecting/reconnecting the HDMI cable fixes it.

My other problem is that the screen blanks out for fractions of a second to a few seconds when I go from menu to menu or from watching a program to the "other episodes" screen. I'm fairly sure that the Apple TV is changing resolutions on the fly.

A new thing lately, with 3G Apple TV and Vizio receiver: switching input to HDMI (Apple TV) now frequently shows me a "No Signal" screen. I've had to either power-cycle the AppleTV, or disconnect/reconnect the HDMI cable at one end or the other. I have not been prompted to run any ATV updates in many months, unless they've slipped in a stealth one.

A new thing lately, with 3G Apple TV and Vizio receiver: switching input to HDMI (Apple TV) now frequently shows me a "No Signal" screen. I've had to either power-cycle the AppleTV, or disconnect/reconnect the HDMI cable at one end or the other. I have not been prompted to run any ATV updates in many months, unless they've slipped in a stealth one.
On my setup, changing the HDMI from TV to Apple TV 3G does not wake up the Apple TV 3G, and I see the same message as you. Pressing the remote button-like menu does wake up the Apple TV, and the message goes away.

By now everyone seems to want to stream their best content. You have Netflex, Hulu, Amazon, CBS, HBO, etc. If you want only one or two programs from these services, the cost runs up-$10-$40 per month each. So is cable a better deal?

By now everyone seems to want to stream their best content. You have Netflex, Hulu, Amazon, CBS, HBO, etc. If you want only one or two programs from these services, the cost runs up-$10-$40 per month each. So is cable a better deal?
Not for me, but then again, I have little interest in watching a ton of network or cable TV. I have Amazon Prime, so I take advantage of the content there, as well as Netflix. And, about once a year, I'll turn on a month of HBO Go to catch up (binge) on some of the stuff there.

I was happy to see the Amazon Prime addition to the Apple TV UI, but the Amazon implementation isn't great, unfortunately. It does work, though, which is better than nothing. And it keeps the Apple TV as an essential part of my network.

My biggest concern isn't about subscriptions; it's the unavailability of many older movies for streaming. I keep thinking about going back to Netflix's DVD service, solely for that reason, but I don't watch enough movies to justify it.

Khoi Vinh had a thoughtful piece today on Subtraction about why he keeps using Netflix's DVD service, and talks about the diminishing number of titles available on physical media (and not on streaming services).
Automating the End of Movies on Physical Discs
The real shame will happen when movies stop coming out on DVDs and Blu-Rays altogether. That’s not because they were such a lovable way to package films (they have their pluses and minuses); it’s because with the loss of each media format, we also lose some titles forever. The list of movies that never made it from VHS to DVD is not insignificant. Usually these “lost” titles are somewhat obscure, but even a major film like “Air Force One” can get lost in the shuffle. As this Collider story recounts, even though that movie is available in a recently pressed Blu-Ray edition, it isn’t available to stream—not just from subscription services like Netflix and Hulu, but it’s not available to rent from iTunes or Amazon, either. It’s hard to say how many more titles we’ll lose when you can only watch movies online, but it’s something to think about as we so eagerly embrace that future.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
Amazon has announced a competitor for Apple TV 4K, due out on June 21:
Amazon said:
Fire TV Cube | Hands-Free with Alexa and 4K Ultra HD | Streaming Media Player • $119.99
  • Alexa hands-free voice control
  • far-field voice recognition - 8 mics and "beamforming" tech
  • built-in speaker
  • 4K Ultra HD up to 60 fps, HDR-10, and Dolby Atmos
  • 1.5 GHz quad-core CPU, 16 GB storage
  • 802.11ac dual-band MIMO Wi-Fi and Ethernet
  • Alexa Voice Remote
  • infrared
  • Video: HDR-10. H.265, H.264, Audio: AAC-LC, AC3, eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis, Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC), Photo: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP
  • "tens of thousands of channels, apps, and Alexa skills. Get over 500,000 movies and TV"
  • Silk and Firefox browsers
  • control compatible TVs, sound bars, cable and satellite boxes, and A/V receivers
  • control playback of content (play, pause, resume)
  • view camera feeds and control lights, thermostats, and other smart home devices
  • sleep timers later this year

Not for me, but then again, I have little interest in watching a ton of network or cable TV.
My biggest concern isn't about subscriptions; it's the unavailability of many older movies for streaming. I keep thinking about going back to Netflix's DVD service, solely for that reason, but I don't watch enough movies to justify it.
If you miss the old classic movies, then consider signing into the fabulous Criterion Collection library. It was on Hulu till mid-2016, and now resides at a stream service called FilmStruck. I know nothing about that service except that it gets good reviews and costs $6.99/month. It can be found at www.filmstruck.com/us

And I just came across this: a service that allows you to access 30,000 movies—including Criterion— using your public library card.

Same old remote on the Fire TV Cube ... no volume control or source switcher. I recently purchased an Nvidia Shield to play retro video games (it plays almost everything made up until the 2000's). It is an Android TV box, it is fast and there are tons of apps for it. Way faster than a Fire Stick and than my TV's built-in Android TV. Streamers for every service made plus some sketchy ones, but streaming is only a bonus.

I will add that I bought the cheaper version (at $200), which has a small amount of internal storage (you can add more via a thumb drive or external hard drive). They have one with a built-in hard drive.

... My biggest concern isn't about subscriptions; it's the unavailability of many older movies for streaming. I keep thinking about going back to Netflix's DVD service, solely for that reason, but I don't watch enough movies to justify it.
As Dewey noted above, try FilmStruck, a collaboration of The Criterion Collection and Turner Classic Movies. $99 per year, with an app available for Apple TV 4 and 4K, but not Apple TV 3.

I fully agree. Filmstruck is an incredible resource for viewing great older movies, many never appeaing on TCM. They also stream select movies that are probably the best of TCM. It also has foreign films, French, Italian, Czech, etc. FilmStruck isn’t on everybody’s radar, but it should be. Highly recommend it. By the way, it streams via iPad Airplay Mirroring and there’s a Roku app. No Apple TV3 app but Apple TV 4.

Mik

I’ve been a Criterion fan for many, many years, and paid Hulu, and then Filmstruck, for access. I quit Filmstruck when I banished Flash from my system.

Has the Flash requirement changed yet?

I need some MacInTouch Community help, please. I was flying home from Europe and fired up the TV app on my 12.9" iPad Pro, which had been powered down for 2 weeks. The screen came up completely blank except for tabs at the bottom for "Watch Now, Sports, Library, Store, and Search." I exited and restarted the app several times and even let it sit for 10 minutes... and still nothing. I finally paid for in-air Internet on my iPad, and after I used a browser to display the Google home page, I started the TV app again, and after about 30 seconds, all of my local content (my Library) showed up.

I am now thinking that the TV app needs to reach out to an Apple server even to show my local content, and I am looking for anyone else who has seen or can reproduce the issue.

Thanks!

I need some MacInTouch Community help, please. I was flying home from Europe and fired up the TV app on my 12.9" iPad Pro, which had been powered down for 2 weeks. The screen came up completely blank except for tabs at the bottom for "Watch Now, Sports, Library, Store, and Search." I exited and restarted the app several times and even let it sit for 10 minutes... and still nothing. I finally paid for in-air Internet on my iPad, and after I used a browser to display the Google home page, I started the TV app again, and after about 30 seconds, all of my local content (my Library) showed up. I am now thinking that the TV app needs to reach out to an Apple server even to show my local content, and I am looking for anyone else who has seen or can reproduce the issue.
It does. Same for me at home. I have my directing reels on my iPhone and when I need to show it, I have to wait for the app to phone home, and then local content shows up.

I need some MacInTouch Community help, please. I was flying home from Europe and fired up the TV app on my 12.9" iPad Pro, which had been powered down for 2 weeks. The screen came up completely blank except for tabs at the bottom for "Watch Now, Sports, Library, Store, and Search." I exited and restarted the app several times and even let it sit for 10 minutes... and still nothing. I finally paid for in-air Internet on my iPad, and after I used a browser to display the Google home page, I started the TV app again, and after about 30 seconds, all of my local content (my Library) showed up. I am now thinking that the TV app needs to reach out to an Apple server even to show my local content, and I am looking for anyone else who has seen or can reproduce the issue. Thanks!
I frequently use my iPad to watch downloaded movies and haven't had this experience, though I haven't used it in over a month. I just put my iPad in full Airplane mode (no WiFi, cellular, or Bluetooth). "Library" showed my downloaded movies immediately. All other tabs told me I am offline.

Did you discard the TV app saved state? Is that what you mean by "I exited and restarted the app"? If that hadn't worked, I would have shut down and restarted the iPad.

I installed TVMobili on it and am using it as a media server to my Roku devices.
This looks like a really nice product, but I have one question that maybe you can answer.

The product page says that it integrates with iTunes, presenting your entire library. Can it stream DRM-protected content (e.g. purchased videos and older FairPlay-wrapped music)?

If the server is decoding the media with the local (Mac) APIs and streaming the decoded content, then it should work fine. If it's streaming the file (expecting the receiver to decode it), then it probably won't work.

I frequently use my iPad to watch downloaded movies and haven't had this experience, though I haven't used it in over a month. I just put my iPad in full Airplane mode (no WiFi, cellular, or Bluetooth). "Library" showed my downloaded movies immediately. All other tabs told me I am offline. Did you discard the TV app saved state? Is that what you mean by "I exited and restarted the app"? If that hadn't worked, I would have shut down and restarted the iPad.
So your iPad was offline for a month, or did you take it offline then start the app? To close the TV app, I went to the app switcher and swiped up. I also restarted the iPad. Neither worked.

So your iPad was offline for a month, or did you take it offline then start the app? To close the TV app, I went to the app switcher and swiped up. I also restarted the iPad. Neither worked.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I haven't used it to watch a video in over a month.

I'm at a loss as to why this is happening to you. Since I only watch iPad movies when I'm on an airplane with no internet, and mine works fine, the only thing I could figure out is that yours needed the proverbial dope slap restart, but you did that. Have you been able to reproduce the problem?

This looks like a really nice product, but I have one question that maybe you can answer. The product page says that it integrates with iTunes, presenting your entire library. Can it stream DRM-protected content (e.g. purchased videos and older FairPlay-wrapped music)? If the server is decoding the media with the local (Mac) APIs and streaming the decoded content, then it should work fine. If it's streaming the file (expecting the receiver to decode it), then it probably won't work.
I have no first-hand knowledge of TVMobili streaming DRM'd content, but I doubt it. I believe it only uses the particular folders you choose, so, if you select the proper iTunes folder where your media is stored, not only will iTunes organize things that you drop into the iTunes window or download, but TVMobili will be aware of changes to that folder and, likewise, will update its own organization. TVMobili's user interface is your web browser; I have my TVMobili "page" bookmarked on my other Macs so I may configure/maintain things on the old white MacBook from any other machine on my local network.

I'm not sure whether the TVMobili folks have ever updated their Support page (it showed nothing of interest the last time I looked). I email them for support, and they respond fairly quickly.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I haven't used it to watch a video in over a month. I'm at a loss as to why this is happening to you. Since I only watch iPad movies when I'm on an airplane with no internet, and mine works fine, the only thing I could figure out is that yours needed the proverbial dope slap restart, but you did that. Have you been able to reproduce the problem?
I just turned off Wi-Fi and will let it sit powered down for a couple weeks and see what happens.

Just in case I may have provided a wrong impression about TVMobili, the Roku USB Media Player app (which also sees DLNA players on the local network) does the playing of the media. Most media may be fast-forwarded (not AVI, if I recall correctly).

I use MP4Tools to re-wrap MKVs and Handbrake to transcode to MP4 (if the video stream needs it).

I see how the cost of TVMobili has increased to $65, but, considering the complexity of Plex and other allegedly free/cheap DLNA servers, I figured my time was worth some money, so the licensing cost (per server, not per client) was worth it. The old white MacBook (TVMobili server) works with both my Rokus simultaneously.

tvOS update of my appleTV 4K went well, but that is really wonky now. Viewing my own home videos and photos shared by iTunes/Photos fails repeatedly. Videos start briefly, then cut out. Some photos are displayed, but then I get an error message about "no library available" or something like that - can't really read, because the video output cuts out, screen blanks and flickers, and I'm back either at home screen or the appleTV's root menu of the shared "computer". I've not seen such bad behavior before.
The remote app from iOS to tvOS is more or less dysfunctional, especially concerning the keyboard (to enter the sharing password to fix the above errors - to no avail). The remote app often only discovers a subset of appleTV and iTunes libraries available in the network.
I suspect something screwed up during your install of tvOS. If it were me, I would bite the bullet and wipe and restore to factory settings. If you still have trouble connecting to your photo library or having the iOS remote app work as it should, you might have a hardware issue with the Apple TV, but it's unlikely.

I suspect something screwed up during your install of tvOS. If it were me, I would bite the bullet and wipe and restore to factory settings. If you still have trouble connecting to your photo library or having the iOS remote app work as it should, you might have a hardware issue with the Apple TV, but it's unlikely.
Doesn't seem to be a installation bug. See link below; not only does this match my experience exactly, he explains it better as well:
Thomas Hawk said:
Very frustrating, since I use the Apple TV almost exclusively to watch photos and home videos in 4K, because finally the display is sharper than my eyesight, so I don't get frustrated over limited resolution or artifacts. But only if it works in the first place!

Doesn't seem to be a installation bug. See link below; not only does this match my experience exactly, he explains it better as well:
Very frustrating, since I use the Apple TV almost exclusively to watch photos and home videos in 4K, because finally the display is sharper than my eyesight, so I don't get frustrated over limited resolution or artifacts. But only if it works in the first place!
Not that it solves your (or the person's you linked to) specific problem, but have you tried to use screen sharing to your Apple TV 4K from your Mac or iOS device as a work-around? Or, if you use iCloud Photos, does the Photos app on Apple TV play your albums/photos (rather than trying to access iTunes photos via the "Computer" app)?

If you haven't done so yet you should report the problem at
https://bugreport.apple.com/

... tvOS update of my appleTV 4K went well, but that is really wonky now. Viewing my own home videos and photos shared by iTunes/Photos fails repeatedly. Videos start briefly, then cut out. Some photos are displayed, but then I get an error message about "no library available" or something like that - can't really read, because the video output cuts out, screen blanks and flickers, and I'm back either at home screen or the appleTV's root menu of the shared "computer". I've not seen such bad behavior before.

The remote app from iOS to tvOS is more or less dysfunctional, especially concerning the keyboard (to enter the sharing password to fix the above errors - to no avail). The remote app often only discovers a subset of appleTV and iTunes libraries available in the network.
I had something similar happen to my AppleTV when I was running the tvOS beta. Logging out of iCloud, restarting the device (fully, by pulling power), and then logging back in resolved that for me.

I need some MacInTouch Community help, please. I was flying home from Europe and fired up the TV app on my 12.9" iPad Pro, which had been powered down for 2 weeks. The screen came up completely blank except for tabs at the bottom for "Watch Now, Sports, Library, Store, and Search." I exited and restarted the app several times and even let it sit for 10 minutes... and still nothing. I finally paid for in-air Internet on my iPad, and after I used a browser to display the Google home page, I started the TV app again, and after about 30 seconds, all of my local content (my Library) showed up. I am now thinking that the TV app needs to reach out to an Apple server even to show my local content, and I am looking for anyone else who has seen or can reproduce the issue.
I have seen this on my daughter’s car iPhone 6, which doesn’t have a cell plan attached. Sometimes it doesn’t show the local files - this happened under both iOS 11 and 12. Usually, either quitting the app or restarting the phone will resolve it. I realize that’s not a lot of help, but it does rule out that it’s just you....

Has anyone else seen a hot pink screen on your Apple TV when you power on the TV? It happens randomly about once a week on my Vizio 4K and pulling and reinserting the HDMI cable fixes it.

Has anyone else seen a hot pink screen on your Apple TV when you power on the TV? It happens randomly about once a week on my Vizio 4K and pulling and reinserting the HDMI cable fixes it.
Sounds like one of the three TMDS channels (specifically, the green one) is dropping out. Maybe because of some kind of sync error.

It could be a software/firmware bug (either in the TV or the AppleTV), or it could be a cable issue.

Depending on how much this bothers you, you might want to try getting a new cable. If you are trying to display 4K at 30Hz refresh, then you need a cable that can handle HDMI 1.3/1.4 frequencies (up to 3.4GHz per channel). If you are trying to display 4K at 60Hz refresh, then you need a cable that can handle HDMI 2.0 frequencies (up to 6 GHz per channel).

Cables certified as "high speed" promise to support the HDMI 1.3/1.4 frequencies. Cables certified as "premium high speed" promise to support HDMI 2.0 frequencies. Cables without the necessary level of certification may or may not work or may work intermittently (as seems to be the case in your situation).

In general, shorter cables and cables with larger conductors (smaller numbered AWG) will have a better chance of being able to pass the high frequencies required for 4K video (although any certified cable should work for its certified range of frequencies, regardless of length and gauge - those that are too long or too thin won't pass the certification tests).

Additionally, a damaged cable (even a bend sharp enough to kink the internal conductors) can degrade the signal enough to cause problems like the ones you are seeing. If your cable is old or appears damaged or was at some time bent at a sharp angle, you may want to replace it even if it is certified for the bandwidth you require.

I periodically get the pink screen on my Mac Mini connected via HDMI to a Philips monitor - always after the Mini has been asleep and I'm waking it up.

I switch off the monitor, restart it, and the problem goes away every time.

Probably once a week at most.

Sounds like one of the three TMDS channels (specifically, the green one) is dropping out. Maybe because of some kind of sync error. It could be a software/firmware bug (either in the TV or the AppleTV), or it could be a cable issue.
I've gone through several cables from different manufacturers in different lengths. I only have one TV and one Apple TV in the house, so I cannot swap those. I guess the next step is to contact Vizio.

In an all-Apple household, I used the iPhone remote app to stream music from iTunes on my iMac to my latest-gen Apple TV. Worked ok except that album covers were not reliably displayed. I had to leave and return to the now-playing screen to see them.

Then I tried the same thing from the same playlist using the Apple TV’s Computer app. The music started and stopped after a second with the error that a music library could not be found.

Some system quality!

Not sure what Apple was thinking with the new Remote app. The old one worked fine on my iPad; I don't need a Now Playing screen, for pete's sake. FWIW, I think cover art is cached somewhere, and additions/changes can take a while to update.

I stream from iMac to Apple TV (1st gen) to an outboard DAC to my HiFi preamplifier. My main issues are iTunes crashing mid-selection and the Mac going to sleep.

A friend has a new Apple TV. I absolutely detest the touchpad remote! I find it very difficult to click the button without triggering an arrow function first, which of course opens the wrong selection... over and over.

Not sure what Apple was thinking with the new Remote app. The old one worked fine on my iPad; I don't need a Now Playing screen, for pete's sake. FWIW, I think cover art is cached somewhere, and additions/changes can take a while to update.

I stream from iMac to Apple TV (1st gen) to an outboard DAC to my HiFi preamplifier. My main issues are iTunes crashing mid-selection and the Mac going to sleep.

A friend has a new Apple TV. I absolutely detest the touchpad remote! I find it very difficult to click the button without triggering an arrow function first, which of course opens the wrong selection... over and over.
No kidding! That remote has to be the worst ever designed. Not only can I not control anything reliably, but no matter what I do, it always falls into the crack between the cushion of my chair and the arm.

I actually happen to really like Now Playing screens in general. In fact, I only wish that the album art was much, much larger in most of the displays.

But even more important than that is the need to start to play some music and it keeps playing! I don’t have any problems with the remote app on my iPhone, but using the computer app on the Apple TV, that’s where I can’t get a reliable playback.

The Gen 4 Apple TV will respond to commands from older Apple TV IR remotes, if you have one of those (or a programmable remote with the old codes). The discrete arrow keys are still superior to a touchpad, in my opinion.

No kidding! That remote has to be the worst ever designed. Not only can I not control anything reliably, but no matter what I do, it always falls into the crack between the cushion of my chair and the arm.
This is why I am happy to stay with Apple TV version 3. I do lose album art on occasion, but I can live with that.

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts