MacInTouch Amazon link...
Channels
Security, News

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
Washington Post said:
Facebook said the personal data of most of its 2 billion users has been collected and shared with outsiders

Facebook said Wednesday that most of its 2 billion users likely have had their public profiles scraped by outsiders without the users' explicit permission, dramatically raising the stakes in a privacy controversy that has dogged the company for weeks, spurred investigations in the United States and Europe, and sent the company's stock price tumbling.

The acknowledgment was part of a broader disclosure by Facebook on Wednesday about the ways in which various levels of user data have been taken by everyone from malicious actors to ordinary app developers.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
Reuters said:
Facebook fuels broad privacy debate by tracking non-users

Concern about Facebook Inc’s (FB.O) respect for data privacy is widening to include the information it collects about non-users, after Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg said the world’s largest social network tracks people whether they have accounts or not.

Privacy concerns have swamped Facebook since it acknowledged last month that information about millions of users wrongly ended up in the hands of political consultancy Cambridge Analytica, a firm that has counted U.S. President Donald Trump’s 2016 electoral campaign among its clients.

Zuckerberg said on Wednesday under questioning by U.S. Representative Ben Luján that, for security reasons, Facebook also collects “data of people who have not signed up for Facebook.”

Lawmakers and privacy advocates immediately protested the practice, with many saying Facebook needed to develop a way for non-users to find out what the company knows about them.

I dumped Facebook years ago, after signing up at the urging of a friend and a relative. I never used it, and deactivated my account. And yet I still have to worry about their intrusiveness because I am in the contact list of anyone I know who uses FB and gives FB access to their contacts.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
TechCrunch said:
Judge says class action suit against Facebook over facial recognition can go forward

... The case concerns an Illinois law that prohibits collection of biometric information, including facial recognition data, in the way that Facebook has done for years as part of its photo-tagging systems.

BIPA, the Illinois law, is a real thorn in Facebook’s side. The company has not only been pushing to have the case dismissed, but it has been working to have the whole law changed by supporting an amendment that would defang it — but more on that another time.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
And now there's this, as well...

Brian Krebs said:
Deleted Facebook Cybercrime Groups Had 300,000 Members

Hours after being alerted by KrebsOnSecurity, Facebook last week deleted almost 120 private discussion groups totaling more than 300,000 members who flagrantly promoted a host of illicit activities on the social media network’s platform. The scam groups facilitated a broad spectrum of shady activities, including spamming, wire fraud, account takeovers, phony tax refunds, 419 scams, denial-of-service attack-for-hire services and botnet creation tools. The average age of these groups on Facebook’s platform was two years.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
Reuters said:
Majority of divisive Facebook ads bought by 'suspicious groups': study

Most of the political ads about divisive issues that ran on Facebook Inc (FB.O) before the 2016 U.S. presidential election were sponsored by “suspicious groups” with no publicly available information about them, according to a study released on Monday and based on a database of five million ads on Facebook.

One in six of those groups was linked to Russia, according to a University of Wisconsin-Madison study here, and the identities of the rest of the 122 groups that are labeled "suspicious" are still unknown, an indication of the influence of "astroturf" or shell companies in U.S. politics.

Majority of divisive Facebook ads bought by 'suspicious groups': study
Deleted Facebook Cybercrime Groups Had 300,000 Members
Holy cow.

To add to the dizzying recursiveness (Facebook groups that discussed taking advantage of Facebook), I'm going to post these two stories on my Facebook page. There's a whole lot to this iceberg that many vastly underestimated.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
TechCrunch said:
Login With Facebook data hijacked by JavaScript trackers
Facebook confirms to TechCrunch that it’s investigating a security research report that shows Facebook user data can be grabbed by third-party JavaScript trackers embedded on websites using Login With Facebook. The exploit lets these trackers gather a user’s data including name, email address, age range, gender, locale, and profile photo depending on what users originally provided to the website. It’s unclear what these trackers do with the data, but many of their parent companies including Tealium, AudienceStream, Lytics, and ProPS sell publisher monetization services based on collected user data.

The abusive scripts were found on 434 of the top 1 million websites including cloud database provider MongoDB. That’s according to Steven Englehardt and his colleagues at Freedom To Tinker, which is hosted by Princeton’s Center For Information Technology Policy.

My iPhone X has developed a strange anomaly after a Facebook Messenger incident. A friend’s Facebook/Messenger account was hacked, and her contact list was spammed with a message with the title, “This looks like a photo of you...” or something to that effect.

We have have shared photos in the past, so I clicked on it, but I was immediately redirected to a suspicious site, and I closed the window as soon as possible. I did some research on this phishing scheme, and it seemed like I had caught it in time, since I didn’t give any personal info and my contact list didn’t report being spammed.

However, my Apple Pay credit cards stored on the phone have not worked since, though other items stored in Wallet are fine. Also, using my Apple Watch for the credit cards works.

The other random anomaly - I haven’t been able to log into Twitter using the app. I don’t know for sure if this is a related security issue, but it’s suspicious. A search for similar symptoms/anomalies has come up empty for me, but I’m not an expert, so if anyone has seen this before, please let me know.

... However, my Apple Pay credit cards stored on the phone have not worked since, though other items stored in Wallet are fine.
Have you tried removing these cards from Wallet and re-adding them? I've found that the virtual cards occasionally stop working (a charge is denied and neither the bank nor the card company has any record of it happening - which is really aggravating when you're trying to pay for dinner!) and the fix is always to remove and re-add the card.

I have no clue whether the glitch is in my phone, in iOS, in some cloud server, the bank or anywhere else, but the fix seems to work for me.

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts