MacInTouch Amazon link...

input devices and software

Channels
Troubleshooting, Products, Questions
Still ironing out wrinkles in my El Capitan upgrade from Yosemite. Today's wrinkle: the mouse.

Up to now I had been using Magic Prefs solely to disable horizontal scrolling with my Magic Mouse 1. Alas, Magic Prefs has fallen by the wayside; it looks like it might work in El Cap but it doesn't support the Magic Mouse 2, which I can finally use now that I've upgraded the OS.

It looks like BetterTouchTool is still going strong. It has a bajillion features I don't really care about, some of which might, however, come in useful. I can also turn off horizontal scrolling with a terminal command, which is definitely an option, but I hesitate to disable it in such a strongarm fashion; there may be occasions when I would want to turn it back on, such as when dealing with a large spreadsheet.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

[Magic Mouse horizontal scroll disable…]

It looks like BetterTouchTool is still going strong. It has a bajillion features I don't really care about, some of which might, however, come in useful. I can also turn off horizontal scrolling with a terminal command, which is definitely an option, but I hesitate to disable it in such a strongarm fashion; there may be occasions when I would want to turn it back on, such as when dealing with a large spreadsheet.

Thoughts?
If the terminal command is defaults, it's not a particularly strongarm tactic. It's the same as setting a preference in a dialog. It writes the setting to a preference file.

Re. BetterTouchTool, it works fine to enable/add the two things I want and ignore the bajillion others.

If the terminal command is defaults, it's not a particularly strongarm tactic. It's the same as setting a preference in a dialog. It writes the setting to a preference file.
"Strongarm" may have been a poor choice of word. I meant that, in order to reverse it at some point in the future, I would have to remember to look up the terminal command.

Thanks for your helpful feedback!

Horizontal scrolling drives me nuts. In a spreadsheet, you can suddenly find yourself somewhere else with a random movement!

MagicPrefs (2.4.3 for app and 2.4.2 for the prefpane) still works for me in High Sierra but I'm using Magic Mouse 1. I tried BetterTouchTool but the setting, whether global or app-specific, doesn't work for me. Perhaps I'm not doing something right. Any help would be appreciated.

Finally, I have tried various Terminal commands over several years to disable horizontal scrolling, but none of these seem to work. Any suggestions on this would be happily tried. Because, as Colleen notes, MagiPrefs is no longer being developed and, at some point, I'll want to have the MM 2 (but why isn't the port for charging it on the front of the mouse?).

Thanks for helping.

"Strongarm" may have been a poor choice of word. I meant that, in order to reverse it at some point in the future, I would have to remember to look up the terminal command.
Terminal commands have too many variations in syntax and semantics to make memorization useful. Besides, who wants to type all that. So, for example, to show or hide hidden files in the Finder, memory is replaced by two .command files named appropriately, Set OSX hidden files hide.command and Set OSX hidden files show.command. And, of course, one should use the Terminal command chmod +x <pathtofile> to make them executable scripts. Here is the hide version -- the show version should be obvious.
Code:
#! /bin/sh
# Set OSX hidden files hide.command        jrc 2017-01-10
# This command script makes hidden files invisible.
# Side effect:  Finder is relaunched
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool FALSE; killall Finder; exit 0;
So you can:
  • Look up the appropriate Terminal command once.
  • Create command file(s).
  • Make file(s) executable.
  • Access in any useful way:
    • Keyboard Shortcut
    • Alias
    • Dock icon
    • Keyboard Maestro.

Interesting example. You can now toggle hidden files using CMD+SHIFT+Period in Sierra/High Sierra.
Spot on, but....
I can read filenames more easily than I can remember keyboard shortcuts. And such files are part of the tool kit I carry to support users. I don't need to know what modifications to keyboard shortcuts the user or a software vendor has created -- for example, Adobe taught me to use the Application menu for hiding applications by changing the keyboard shortcut from ⌘H to ⌃⌘H in Photoshop.

I'll want to have the MM 2 (but why isn't the port for charging it on the front of the mouse?).
At first I thought that was dumb also. But then I learned that you can get a full charge in something like 10 minutes, so it's not really that big a deal. As long as you don't run the mouse down all the way during some vitally urgent task, you can charge it while getting coffee or watching a video or something.

Of course as the mouse ages and the battery inevitably declines, that opinion might change!

Back to the original theme of Mouse software:
I am in the midst of a problem with the driver for my favorite mouse, the Contour Mouse. I just bought the cordless model, which requires the most recent driver. The driver, according to the website, covers three Contour devices, but when I installed it on one drive, the mouse didn't even appear in the dropdown menu where one selects the device. This limits what you can do to only the buttons common to the two or three devices that the driver supposedly covers. Since the other two devices are radically different, not traditional mice at all, some functions specific to the Contour Mouse can't even be set, such as the behavior of the rocker switch on the side (which on the Mouse can be set to forward and back, very handy when browsing).

I did see the Mouse in the dropdown device menu on my Mavericks drive, but I believe that was only because my wired Contour Mouse was also attached to the computer. However, I could not get the rocker switch on the wireless mouse to work correctly. I have emailed Contour twice about the problems with the apparent lack of wireless mouse support, but of course have not heard back yet. Very disappointing, because the wireless Contour Mouse has an absolutely great feel to it.

So you can:
  • Look up the appropriate Terminal command once.
  • Create command file(s).
  • Make file(s) executable.
  • Access in any useful way:
    • Keyboard Shortcut
    • Alias
    • Dock icon
    • Keyboard Maestro.
Thanks, James, but I need to customize that flowchart.

• suddenly need horizontal scrolling, then remember that I turned it off (hey, it's been a year).
• access the vague (Dodderer™) memory that it was done with a terminal command.
• no, wait, that was a command file invoking the terminal command.
• look in various places for where I might have stashed said command file.
• how did that command file work again?
• no, wait, it was the executable version.

Re. BetterTouchTool, it works fine to enable/add the two things I want and ignore the bajillion others.
I downloaded the trial and discovered that there is little to no documentation. I can't quite figure out how to turn off horizontal scrolling, globally, and make no other changes. Can you please give me a clue?

I downloaded the trial and discovered that there is little to no documentation. I can't quite figure out how to turn off horizontal scrolling, globally, and make no other changes. Can you please give me a clue?
Go to preferences, select Global (under Select Application), go to drop-down menu App Specific in lower left, select "Disable horizontal single finger scrolling for "Global" .... I also did this for the app Numbers.

As I say, this does not work for me. I see on the net in different forums, others haven't been able to get this going either.

Go to preferences, select Global (under Select Application), go to drop-down menu App Specific in lower left, select "Disable horizontal single finger scrolling for "Global" .... I also did this for the app Numbers.

As I say, this does not work for me. I see on the net in different forums, others haven't been able to get this going either.
I had actually stumbled across the solution. It actually seems to be working in Mail, and I think I also managed to disable the left swipe in Mail. What threw me was having to choose Global and then choose something from the app-specific menu, because at first glance they seem mutually exclusive.

Thanks, James, but I need to customize that flowchart.

• suddenly need horizontal scrolling, then remember that I turned it off (hey, it's been a year).
• access the vague (Dodderer™) memory that it was done with a terminal command.
• no, wait, that was a command file invoking the terminal command.
• look in various places for where I might have stashed said command file.
• how did that command file work again?
• no, wait, it was the executable version.
Colleen, for a workflow alternative, try
  • Realize need to change horizontal scroll but have forgotten how
  • Press ⌘Spacebar
  • Type horizontal or scroll
  • Find:
    • Set MM Horizontal Scroll ON.command
    • Set MM Horizontal Scroll OFF.command
  • Select one and hit ⏎ or just double-click
The secrets to success include
  • Create file(s) that meet your need(s)
  • Forget how file(s) work, you can always open them in an editor
  • Name file(s) to fit your thought processes
  • Store file(s) in a common location like ~/Action Command Files
  • [optional] Put the folder on the Dock and search visually
You really don't need to remember how the command file works after you have created one that actually does work. Think in terms of the task you need performed, not who manufactured the tool. You don't need to know how Siri works to ask, "What is the current temperature?" (64ºF in SE MI) Just turn Siri ON (Make the command file(s) executable -- it is a sticky attribute.)

I use shell scripts mostly because I have used them for decades and, for most tasks, Apple has a harder time breaking them as compared to AppleScript or Automator. If I was starting now, I would use Keyboard Maestro or Swift. I've had to learn enough Keyboard Maestro to instruct others, but have built only a few Macros for myself. My first shell scripts were in DCL (Digital Command Language). Not many people know what DCL is, much less use it today. Migrating UNIX and UNIX-like OSs required learning shell commands to get almost anything done. Sticking the UNIX-like substrate under the OS X/macOS face retained shell power in the Apple Mac environment.

My toolbox has filled over time as I have needed to do things repeatedly, but at long intervals or with complicated command structure that I would never type outside an editor. And if I type them in an editor, its is easy to save them for the next time. One of my command files resides permanently on my Dock. Launching OpenDaily.command opens a list of daily reading URLs with www.macintouch.com first and with a sufficient delay between commands (some are at comics.com) to prevent simulating a DDOS attack. So I can scan around forty web sites with one initial click as I start my day. Another command file contains canned sections to format multiple-volume backup drives. I only use that when I replace a drive.

So, even if you are a straw power fan, just find/create a tool that works, label it in your language, put it in your toolbox, and use it when you need it to get your job done.

I had actually stumbled across the solution. It actually seems to be working in Mail, and I think I also managed to disable the left swipe in Mail. What threw me was having to choose Global and then choose something from the app-specific menu, because at first glance they seem mutually exclusive.
How did you set this up?

I have a license for BetterTouchTool and use it only for disabling the FullScreen behavior of the green dot in the upper left corner tri-color dot cluster of all windows. But I would absolutely love to also disable Apple Mail's horizontal two-finger swipe of individual messages in the message list. Any suggestions?

How did you set this up?
Please note that these settings are under Magic Mouse.

1. Select Global in the left-hand sidebar
2. From the app-specific pop-up, check "Disable horizontal single finger scrolling for Global (override by pressing FN)"
3. Click the + at the bottom of the left-hand sidebar and add the Mail app
4. From the app-specific pop-up, choose the same as in #2

It took some experimenting. I did try disabling the specific Swipe Left function in Mail, but that didn't work. For some reason I had to disable horizontal scrolling in both Global and Mail in order to get rid of the inadvertent scrolling as well as the annoying swipe-left-to-delete behavior in Mail. These behaviors are only a problem for me with the mouse; when using the trackpad, I do like to swipe left to delete.

I have a license for BetterTouchTool and use it only for disabling the FullScreen behavior of the green dot in the upper left corner tri-color dot cluster of all windows. But I would absolutely love to also disable Apple Mail's horizontal two-finger swipe of individual messages in the message list. Any suggestions?
What's the default behavior for that gesture? Have you tried selecting it in BTT and assigning No Action?

Horizontal scrolling drives me nuts. In a spreadsheet...
Drives me nuts too, but in a different context -- Photoshop. I never need the scroll wheel for moving around (I use the Hand-tool shortcut, just hold down the spacebar), but I would like command-scroll to zoom in/out just like in my other programs (e.g. browsers). However, in Photoshop, option-scroll is the zoom, command-scroll scrolls horizontally! So due to muscle memory, I keep scrolling horizontally when I intend to zoom. I can't figure out any way to swap option-scroll for command-scroll, in either the Photoshop preferences or in the Logitech mouse software. There's probably no solution but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks Colleen for your help. I did try much of what you detailed with BTT, but still a no go. Back to MagicPrefs, which does work, for the moment.

What's the default behavior for that gesture? Have you tried selecting it in BTT and assigning No Action?
I have. It is ignored. If any BetterTouchTool experts can find a way to disable horizontal two-finger swiping of messages in Apple Mail, please share how to get this done. Thanks!

An update: Contour support responded to my questions about the problematic driver for their new wireless mouse, but their response was more surprising than satisfactory: the new wireless mouse was released with no working driver, beyond the functions that overlap from their other, very different input devices. Why would you release a new mouse without a working driver to ensure that all of its functions are usable? These guys are still making the best mice I have ever used, and my hand and arm are very grateful for that, but I am somewhat alarmed by this situation.

I can't figure out any way to swap option-scroll for command-scroll, in either the Photoshop preferences or in the Logitech mouse software. There's probably no solution but I just thought I'd ask.
I am no Photoshop expert, but could you change the keyboard shortcuts you want by going to System Prefs -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> App Shortcuts , click on +, find Photoshop in the dropdown list of Applications, add the menu item (exactly as it is) and change the keyboard shortcut? I've done this many times for programs like iTunes, Safari, Numbers, Mail. If you are using PS in the cloud perhaps this won't work.

I can't figure out any way to swap option-scroll for command-scroll,
I am no Photoshop expert, but could you change the keyboard shortcuts you want by going to System Prefs -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> App Shortcuts , click on +, find Photoshop in the dropdown list of Applications, add the menu item (exactly as it is) and change the keyboard shortcut?
John was describing a mouse-based action. I don't think a scroll-wheel action is configurable in the same way keyboard shortcuts are.

Additionally, not all shortcuts can be configured this way. If an application dynamically builds its menus instead of using normal mechanisms (like NIB files), then the OS may not see those menu items. And if the command isn't part of the menu-bar (like many Microsoft Office features which only exist on the Ribbon) then that approach would definitely not work.

I am no Photoshop expert, but could you change the keyboard shortcuts you want by going to System Prefs -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> App Shortcuts , click on +, find Photoshop in the dropdown list of Applications, add the menu item (exactly as it is) and change the keyboard shortcut? I've done this many times for programs like iTunes, Safari, Numbers, Mail.
I was describing a mouse action, not a keyboard action, but even Apple's Mouse preferences do not address this issue. Nor (as I said) does Logitech's mouse driver, as far as I can see.

Also, at least in my setup, you can't use Apple's Keyboard/Shortcuts/App Shortcuts preference panel for any of Adobe's software (except possibly Acrobat; I haven't tried). Photoshop and most of their other applications don't even show up in the dropdown list of Applications, probably because Adobe buries most of its programs in a sub-folder and Apple's list doesn't see subfolders. Alternatively, from the dropdown menu's "Other..." option, I can manually navigate to Photoshop... but then I get a popup alert from Apple that says "You cannot add keyboard shortcuts for the application Adobe Photoshop CC..." with no further explanation. I guess either Adobe stuff is too weird for Apple's standard routines to work with, or maybe somebody at Apple just doesn't like Adobe... and I can't exactly blame them.

If you are using PS in the cloud perhaps this won't work.
This is somewhat switching topic... but Adobe mostly uses the "cloud" terminology as a marketing gimmick, and also to try to get you to use their "Creative Cloud" (in plain English, their servers) for storing your own files, linking your documents to their fonts, frequently phoning home to check your license, and so on... essentially, locking you in to the Adobe infrastructure even more than you already are, if you're foolish enough to use their cloudy stuff. The programs themselves (like Photoshop) never actually "run in the cloud" despite their confusing terminology; they sit on your local drive and run more or less like any traditional software. I suppose calling it "cloud" software also makes it seem more palatable to pay rent for it every month, especially for the many users who don't really know what "cloud" is supposed to mean anyway.

I bought USB Overdrive years ago, to make a Microsoft multi-button mouse behave in Mac OS 9. It works fine with my present El Capitan installation and a 5-button Logitech wired mouse.

For panning in Photoshop, e.g., I press one of the thumb buttons to get the hand cursor, then click and drag with the left button to pan. Every button can be set separately for each application. Everything is configurable, and nothing ever fails. The current version is 3.3, reputed to work with OS X 10.9 to macOS 10.13, and there's a free trial, so anyone having problems has nothing to lose by giving it a shot, except a few minutes setting it up.

Beyond the mouse driver, I use MediaKeys to reassign keys on my ancient Extended Keyboard II and bring it into the 21st century.

I've used Steermouse for many years, many mice. I've been able to program most special buttons I've needed.

You can make mappings app-specific.

I like Logitech gaming mice with many buttons. I program most common operations - back, enter, close window, close app- to thumb buttons so I can do a lot of navigation with small thumb movements. Logitech driver software is junk on Windows, nonexistent on Mac. Steermouse does it.

I've had a Magic Mouse for a few years, came with my iMac. Nice mouse. Nice keyboard. However, the mouse chews through AA batteries like there's no tomorrow. I just started keeping a record of how long they last and the last pair lasted from April 14 to May 31: roughly six weeks. That sounds terrible from an efficiency point of view. Is this typical? (The keyboard batteries last much longer.) I've been using Duracell "ProCell" batteries, which I buy by the box.

A quick tip that might help someone: I use my Apple Pencil with my iPad Pro 9.7" regularly, but last week I used it very little. When I tried to use it on Friday, I got no response.

I tried charging it in the iPad, including leaving it plugged in for a couple hours. I tried cleaning the contacts. I tried "forgetting" it. I tried powering the iPad Pro off then on. Force-rebooted the iPad. Turned Bluetooth off then on. All to no avail. The iPad simply did not see the Pencil.

I gave up and decided to take it in to an Apple Store for a look-see. But on Saturday, on a whim, I plugged the Pencil into my daughter's iPad Air for a couple of hours. When I unplugged it and plugged it into the iPad Pro, voila!, it prompted for pairing, paired successfully, and has worked normally since.

I've had a Magic Mouse for a few years, came with my iMac. Nice mouse. Nice keyboard. However, the mouse chews through AA batteries like there's no tomorrow. I just started keeping a record of how long they last and the last pair lasted from April 14 to May 31: roughly six weeks. That sounds terrible from an efficiency point of view. Is this typical? (The keyboard batteries last much longer.) I've been using Duracell "ProCell" batteries, which I buy by the box.
I'd say my Magic Mouse (A1296) gets about twice the life yours does. It's paired with a 2012 Mini running OS X 10.9. Perhaps software is forcing unnecessary pinging between the mouse and computer.

Since the beginning I have been powering my Magic Mouse with Eneloop rechargeable batteries. (Originally they were made by Sanyo; they sold the line to Panasonic.) If you go to Amazon using the MacInTouch link and search for "panasonic rechargeable batteries aa", you'll see the various alternatives. Well worth the investment in my experience.

And let me add: I also use the Eneloops in my Apple wireless keyboard (A1016). I reliably get 4-1/2 months between recharges per set of 4.

A few charging details: These are nickel-metal hydride batteries. Although they come pre-charged, I charge them for 24 hours before use. A number of battery experts recommend this. Recharging spent batteries take 2-4 hours depending on just how flat I run them. I have a charged backup set ready. When I get the batteries low warning, I put the backups in the charger to top them up since they have been sitting for a few months. This only takes 20-30 minutes. Then I swap the batteries, fully recharge the depleted ones, and store them till needed.

DFG

I also find that my Magic TrackPad uses more batteries than I would like. Two solutions:
  1. Eneloop rechargeable batteries
  2. There's a mod that provides power to the trackpad using a USB plug.
This is exatly why I prefer wired keyboards and trackpads.

For mice, keyboards, remote controls and other low-power-requiring devices, I use the Eneloop type rechargeable nickel metal hydride batteries.

They are designed to have a very low self-discharge and will last for months in these type of uses.

Somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain there is a piece of data which seems to indicate wireless keyboards and mice of that era came from Apple with Energizer Lithium AA batteries. Have you tried those?
Hmm. Yeah, they may have come with the mouse originally. However, I read somewhere (Consumer Reports) that it made absolutely no difference which brand you bought and that the cheapest batteries (even generic) were as good, or better, than name brand batteries. I'll check out the Energizers though and see if it makes a difference. Of course, price matters, too. The Duracells come in a 24-pack and end up costing about a buck apiece.

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts