MacInTouch Amazon link...

iOS12

Channels
Apple, Security, Products
I just updated an iPhone 6s to iOS 12, and it seems to be working well. As others have reported, the phone does feel like it is a little zippier after the update.

However, I did have a moment of anxiety in the middle of the update. I was doing an "over the air" update while connected by USB to my MacBook Pro running Sierra (10.12.6), and the following dialog popped up on the MacBook Pro:
"A software update is required to connect to iPhone. Would you like to download and install this update now?"
I allowed the iOS update to complete, and the Mac was no longer able to see the iPhone.

After rebooting the Mac, the update dialog box reappeared, and it had a "Learn More..." button that called up a typically minimalist Apple Support web page that more or less repeated the message in the dialog box without describing the software that would be installed on the Mac in any meaningful way. This left me worried that it might try to install a new version of iTunes, or macOS, or something else that might change the way my Mac operates in unexpected/unwelcome ways.

Figuring that I could cancel the update if it looked like it was installing a new version of iTunes or macOS, I took the risk of clicking "Install." The resulting download and installation proceeded and completed quickly, without the usual series of clicking on license agreements, installation options, and so on, but again, there wasn't any indication of what was getting installed.

After digging around the installer log and the installer receipts ( /private/var/log/install.log and /Library/Receipts/InstallHistory.plist ), I determined that the update installed Apple's "Mobile Device on Demand 1.0.0.0" software.

Evidently, the package is just a set of updated icons and macOS drivers for iOS devices. Would it have killed Apple to mention that on its Apple Support page to save its advanced users a little time and anxiety?

Once again iTunes failed to update iOS (iTunes 12.8.0.150 in Sierra, iPhone 7 Plus). Updating over-the-air worked smoothly. It's been years since iTunes has successfully installed an iOS update for me. If Apple can't make this work, they should remove it from iTunes.

I like the new passcode entry screen's font and readability. The darker folder background looks a bit awkward, but it makes the tiny preview icons more legible. iOS 12 does seem faster. My battery drained a lot today, which could be due to the iOS update and all the app updates.

I didn’t notice until someone pointed it out, but Apple removed the Bluetooth icon from the status bar. Bluetooth still works fine on both my iPad and iPhone, but it no longer displays the little icon letting me know it’s actually on. I guess they assume everyone should just leave it on always and therefore don’t need any kind of indicator.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that this is actually a glitch that slipped past the QA (if such a thing even exists anymore) and it’ll come back in a point release. However I’m not optimistic.

There seem to be lots of problems with iOS 12. See https://discussions.apple.com/search.jspa?page=1&q=ios 12&perPage=60&content=filterDiscussions&time=day

Main ones for me are bluetooth and wifi calling problems. Search for those. I am holding off updating,
I had WiFi calling issues initally on my iPhone 8, but two things may have fixed it. The first is that after the iOS update, I got an alert that a new carrier profile was available. I let it install and still no WiFi, but toggling WiFi calling in prefs then resulted in the appropriate "AT&T WiFi" indicator appearing in the status bar on the phone.

Once again iTunes failed to update iOS (iTunes 12.8.0.150 in Sierra, iPhone 7 Plus). Updating over-the-air worked smoothly. It's been years since iTunes has successfully installed an iOS update for me. If Apple can't make this work, they should remove it from iTunes.

I like the new passcode entry screen's font and readability. The darker folder background looks a bit awkward, but it makes the tiny preview icons more legible. iOS 12 does seem faster. My battery drained a lot today, which could be due to the iOS update and all the app updates.
Another data point. Of x.y.z iOS updates I always install x and y updates via iTunes and z updates over-the-air (for me and my wife). Never had a problem other than the occasional bad download, for which iTunes checksums it, throws it out and re-downloads it. your milage may vary.

Some reviews say iOS 12 has fixed portions of the UI clumsiness found in iOS 11. So I was excited to try Do Not Disturb geo-fencing - a perfect solution to meetings that drag on and I forget to wake up my phone. I tried DND and saw no new options.

Well, it took a fair amount of Google work to find out that these new features are hidden under a 3D/hard press in the Control Center a la iOS 11. Sigh.

I had WiFi calling issues initally on my iPhone 8, but two things may have fixed it. The first is that after the iOS update, I got an alert that a new carrier profile was available. I let it install and still no WiFi, but toggling WiFi calling in prefs then resulted in the appropriate "AT&T WiFi" indicator appearing in the status bar on the phone.
On my iPhone 7 WiFi calling wouldn't work after the upgrade until I forced a shut down and restart. Then it came right up. I don't know if an orderly shutdown/restart would have done the trick; I didn't see any reason to pussyfoot around.

iPhone 6 (or 5s) users should update to this - it's what iOS 11 should have been for performance. The difference is staggering - no more random pausing/stuttering/non-responsive for seconds at a time.

Some apps, of course, are still a bit too demanding for the iPhone 6, but generally they are all more responsive, as well.

Even if bugs are discovered, it's likely worth it for general usability - it is that much better.

On an iPad Pro (9.7" original release), which wasn't slow with iOS 11, the performance is about the same - which is fine.

Tried out some of the new features - all seem good.

(I also have an iPhone 7 through work that generally was fine for performance with iOS 11, but I always wait at least a couple of weeks before updating it, in case any major issues are found with a new iOS version.)

I didn’t notice until someone pointed it out, but Apple removed the Bluetooth icon from the status bar.
This is sort of not new. In iOS 11, the bluetooth icon was in the status bar, but it didn't do anything — that is, it was always just "there" without distinguishing between whether bluetooth was doing anything (connected) or not. So I guess Apple decided that between an icon that is pointlessly present and no icon, no icon is better. [See replies below. -Ric Ford]

There seem to be lots of problems with iOS 12. See
https://discussions.apple.com/search.jspa?page=1&q=ios 12&perPage=60&content=filterDiscussions&time=day
Main ones for me are bluetooth and wifi calling problems. Search for those. I am holding off updating,
I'm testing it out on my iPhone 6 - so far, everything is better than under iOS 1, including that I can actually listen to music with bluetooth headphones - in iOS 11 I'd get random hiccups/pauses in the music to a point where I'd only use another device to listen to music through the same headphones.

I looked through the first few pages of that list in the Apple discussions - most were install problems, or people not being aware of what features are possible on various hardware (or that 3rd-party map companies having to update their apps for CarPlay (which I see Google just did within the last hour).

So far, on my old iPhone 6, calling works fine (there was a carrier update others mentioned right after updating), bluetooth audio works better, total responsiveness is way better than iOS 11 - maybe even better than iOS 10 (I don't remember iOS 10 being overly slow - at least before in a later iOS 10 update, Apple dropped performance on iPhone 6's with old batteries - mine was one that I replaced, as it had been already shutting off randomly before they made that change.)

I'm sure there will be show-stopper bugs for some people with different hardware and providers, with it being an n.0 release, but so far it's a good one on this old phone.

iPhone 6 (or 5s) users should update to this - it's what iOS 11 should have been for performance. The difference is staggering - no more random pausing/stuttering/non-responsive for seconds at a time.
Have any SE owners taken the iOS 12 plunge? I am a reluctant upgrader having been previously left with sluggish, almost brick-like, iPhones after previous ill advised installations.

Have any SE owners taken the iOS 12 plunge? I am a reluctant upgrader having been previously left with sluggish, almost brick-like, iPhones after previous ill advised installations.
My wife’s SE upgraded fine. She wasn’t happy to learn she’ll have to go to a larger phone when it’s time to replace it, though!

Did over-the-air updates to iOS 12 on an iPhone 6s and an iPad Mini 2 earlier today. The download is about a GB. Expect a couple of restarts during the install.

No obvious problems have cropped up so far. You do have to agree to a new ToS for both the App Store and for the update file. And, once again, Apple has taken it upon itself to turn on Bluetooth and WiFi when installation is complete.

Reports of iOS 11 on older devices kept me on iOS 10. Might finally be time to update the iPhone 5s. Battery still shows 95%...

This is sort of not new. In iOS 11, the bluetooth icon was in the status bar, but it didn't do anything — that is, it was always just "there" without distinguishing between whether bluetooth was doing anything (connected) or not. So I guess Apple decided that between an icon that is pointlessly present and no icon, no icon is better.
That's curious - on my SE running 11.4.1, the icon is not displayed unless Bluetooth is turned on.

After installing iOS 12 on my iPhone 6s, one of the first things I checked was Siri & Search to see what sort of shortcuts Siri suggested. The first one listed was to make a FaceTime call to my sister, Alice. Now, Alice and I are both severely telephobic. We rarely make calls and are loathe to answer them. Neither one of us has ever used FaceTime. The horror! (I confirmed this with Alice via email: "I don’t use it either. I figured if you really needed to communicate, you’d email.")

This got me wondering. Was this a sincere attempt on Siri's part to rid us of our phobia, or was it simply the result of a poorly-written algorithm?

I installed the iOS 12 beta on my iPhone 6s in the hope that it would eliminate the GPS problem I was having since installing iOS 11. It solved that GPS problem but introduced a new one: The Accessibility Shortcut button started disappearing at random times. To get it back I had to turn it off and then back on again.

I reported this bug to Apple with the Feedback app.

After installing the release version of iOS 12, that bug persists. Even worse, it is now happening on my iPad Mini. I've submitted another bug report.

Anyone else seeing this?

iOS 12 update via USB on an iPhone 6 worked well. A piece of software separate from iTunes needs to be installed to get this done. This was not announced previously; is it finally an indication that iTunes is being split up?

iOS 12 updates over the air on iPhone 5S and iPad Air (both with minimum memory and only a bit over 1 GB free) both failed multiple times, even after reboot, but finally succeeded.

tvOS update of my appleTV 4K went well, but that is really wonky now. Viewing my own home videos and photos shared by iTunes/Photos fails repeatedly. Videos start briefly, then cut out. Some photos are displayed, but then I get an error message about "no library available" or something like that - can't really read, because the video output cuts out, screen blanks and flickers, and I'm back either at home screen or the appleTV's root menu of the shared "computer". I've not seen such bad behavior before.

The remote app from iOS to tvOS is more or less dysfunctional, especially concerning the keyboard (to enter the sharing password to fix the above errors - to no avail). The remote app often only discovers a subset of appleTV and iTunes libraries available in the network.

I never felt iOS 11 was that bad on my iPhone SE. I know I'm in the minority on this, but it never really felt any slower to me than iOS 10 did, and I had no more problems with it than I had with the previous iOS (not necessarily a ringing endorsement, but sometimes keeping the status quo is the best you can hope for).

iOS 12 does seem faster to me, especially using the share sheets (or whatever they're called), and now being able to get to 1Password via the keyboard; it also seems to load more quickly as well as accept my fingerprint faster than it previously had. I've yet to have any issues (knock on wood) with any of the 3rd-party applications I use, and I've found these Siri shortcuts actually useful for a couple of things. Overall I'm quite pleased with the update.

That's curious - on my SE running 11.4.1, the icon is not displayed unless Bluetooth is turned on.
I wish I had paid more attention as now I can't remember how that icon behaved in iOS 11 on my SE. However, checking my kid's iPad Mini, the icon is there when bluetooth is enabled, and it is not on the status bar when I turn bluetooth off.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
This is sort of not new. In iOS 11, the bluetooth icon was in the status bar, but it didn't do anything — that is, it was always just "there" without distinguishing between whether bluetooth was doing anything (connected) or not. So I guess Apple decided that between an icon that is pointlessly present and no icon, no icon is better.
In iOS 11 (on my iPhone SE), the Bluetooth icon is present when Bluetooth is turned on and it's absent when Bluetooth is turned off.

I never felt iOS 11 was that bad on my iPhone SE. I know I'm in the minority on this, but it never really felt any slower to me than iOS 10 did, and I had no more problems with it than I had with the previous iOS (not necessarily a ringing endorsement, but sometimes keeping the status quo is the best you can hope for)....
My wife's iPhone SE, which has double the RAM of the iPhone 6 and a one-generation-newer processor, was without a doubt faster than my iPhone 6 running iOS 11. It still had some occasional slowness/pauses, but not nearly as dramatic. She hasn't updated yet - will likely this weekend, when there is more time.

I have an iPhone 5s that I left on iOS 10.3.3 after reading about the negative effects of iOS 11 on this model. Based on what I've read about iOS 12 so far, I'm ready to put it on the 5s. I've only done iOS updates by connecting the iPhone to my MacBook Pro and letting iTunes do its thing.

Over the last couple of days, I've connected the 5s a few times to the MacBook Pro. iTunes only shows that iOS 11.4.1 is available, not 12. Is there a way to "force" iTunes to use 12?

MacBook Pro is on Sierra (10.12.6).

... Over the last couple of days, I've connected the 5s a few times to the MacBook Pro. iTunes only shows that iOS 11.4.1 is available, not 12. Is there a way to "force" iTunes to use 12? MacBook Pro is on Sierra (10.12.6).
Probably should just wait vs. trying to catch the initial roll-out wave that probably isn't prioritized for the even older iOS device + iOS version combos. Apple should be trying to smooth out the roll-out for the 80+ % that are on the current iOS instance before moving the others.

An iOS 12.1 beta is already up. If looking for stability. 12.3 or so is a better bet.

iTunes only shows that iOS 11.4.1 is available, not 12. Is there a way to "force" iTunes to use 12?
I've run into a similar problem over the last few iOS updates. I think Apple wants to force individual users to do OTA [Over-The-Air] updates or upgrade to the non-iOS App Store version of iTunes. A workaround is to download Configurator 2 from the Mac App Store.

A few iOS 12 nitpicks... Working well on my iPhone 8, but I am a little underwhelmed by the new OS on my 10.5" iPad Pro. No big glitches, but a few head scratchers and minor irritants. No detectable performance gain. Status bar now has even smaller type size and the WiFi icon is moved way over to the right for no apparent reason. As with the phone, the Bluetooth icon is gone. Are these changes to accommodate notches, as some have suggested? Swiping down for Control Center will take some getting used to, but it works. Swiping up for app switching is unreliable. I often have to hit the Home button twice instead.

After upgrading an iPhone 6s, used with a CDMA carrier, to iOS 12, I've started digging around all the various settings and controls. A seemingly major change on my phone is to the Roaming settings. In Settings/Cellular/Cellular Data Options, there no longer is a way to turn Voice Roaming on or off, nor a way to set the status of Cellular Data Options to "Roaming On".

I've done some online searching, and it looks like this has been the case since the beta period and may be carrier-dependent. So, if the current setup is not the correct configuration (and it well may be, since it lived through the beta), I think the fix will have to come via a carrier file update. Unfortunately, there aren't many discussions or tech support documents covering this situation at the moment, so it's hard to tell exactly what's going on.

Bottom line: if you're a CDMA customer and need to have access to roaming, it might be a good idea to wait to upgrade to iOS 12.

My old reliable iPad Mini from 2012 basically turned into a tortoise after installing IOS 10 back whenever that was. Even though it was practically unusable, I held onto it, hoping that one day some software update would bring it back to life. I installed IOS 12 yesterday, and, ta da, it's now completely fine. Safari launches quickly, loads pages quickly and the whole machine is basically very responsive for its age. Kudos to Apple for this update!

iTunes only shows that iOS 11.4.1 is available, not 12.
Using iTunes v12.6.4.3, I checked for updates for my iPhone 5s running iOS 10. I get the following message:
A new iPhone software version (12.0) is available, but requires iTunes 12.8. Would you like to download iTunes 12.8 now?
Well, no, as a matter of fact I don't want iTunes 12.8.

So I upgraded iTunes to v12.6.5.3, which I downloaded yesterday but had not yet installed. This time I get the following message:
iTunes will update your iPhone to iOS 12.0 and will verify the update with Apple.
Good to know that the old-style iTunes that manages apps can download and install iOS 12.

I'll wait a few days to see if there are any showstoppers...

After upgrading an iPhone 6s, used with a CDMA carrier, to iOS 12... In Settings/Cellular/Cellular Data Options, there no longer is a way to turn Voice Roaming on or off, nor a way to set the status of Cellular Data Options to "Roaming On".
My iPhone 7 Plus carrier is Verizon. In Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options, I have on/off switches for Voice Roaming, Data Roaming, and International CDMA. Like others have reported, after upgrading to iOS 12 there was a Carrier Settings update (which I installed).

Using iTunes v12.6.4.3, I checked for updates for my iPhone 5s running iOS 10. I get the following message: A new iPhone software version (12.0) is available, but requires iTunes 12.8. Would you like to download iTunes 12.8 now? ... So I upgraded iTunes to v12.6.5.3, which I downloaded yesterday but had not yet installed. ...
It's sad that iTunes 12.6.4 didn't display the correct error message saying 12.6.5 was needed instead of 12.8. When I recently restored my iPhone 7 Plus to iOS 11.4.1, iTunes 12.6.4 said iTunes 12.8 was required. This seems like the same dysfunction. I wonder if iTunes 12.6.5 would have said the same for the iOS 11.4.1 restore.

After installing iTunes 12.8 to do the restore, I wanted to revert to iTunes 12.6.5. Inside my Music folder was a folder named 12.6.4 containing the old Library files. At least Apple got that right, so I didn't need to restore from a backup. I created a folder named 12.8.0, moved the new files into it, moved the iTunes 12.6.4 files back, and installed iTunes 12.6.5. Woohoo, it's working!

I didn’t notice until someone pointed it out, but Apple removed the Bluetooth icon from the status bar. Bluetooth still works fine on both my iPad and iPhone, but it no longer displays the little icon letting me know it’s actually on. ...
There seems to be some improvement made in Bluetooth performance in iOS 12. While using iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 and listening to podcasts on my bluetooth-connected Oticon miniRITE hearing aids, there were often loud clicks* in the sound. So far, with iOS 12 there are no more clicks.

*Clicks like dirt on a vinyl record.

I did my own tests of iOS 12's new Measure app with similar results as Kirkville.
Kirkville said:
Measure wouldn't work with any dark surface on a light background, including a laptop's black plastic back and a dark painting with colored streaks. It worked with surfaces that were far lighter than their background.

The only measurement it was consistently exact on was a white paper towel on a matte black fabric. With my iPad's light blue case on black, it was usually off by 5%, although it got it exact once. With a cardboard box on the black fabric, it was never was exact and was usually off by over 15%.

I'm not sure what use this app will be, since it's finicky and often inaccurate.

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts