iOS13

Channels
Apple, News

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
A developer's perspective:
Craig Hockenberry said:
iCloud Clusterf**k
Luckily, I don’t have to use this kind of title often. But when I do, there’s a good reason: this year’s beta release cycle for all of Apple’s operating systems has been a mess. The months since WWDC in June have been a terrible experience for both customers and developers alike and the literal center of the chaos was Apple’s iCloud syncing service....

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
We might not want to jump into iOS 13 right away....
Nilay Patel said:
Apple iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max review
... My iPhone 11 and 11 Pro review units are running iOS 13.0, and iOS 13.0 is pretty damn buggy. I saw all kinds of glitches and crashes during my week of testing, as did Verge executive editor Dieter Bohn with his iPhone 11 review unit running iOS 13. The home screen has crashed and relaunched. Messages glitches out and puts the text entry field at the top of the screen. AirDrop has crashed out so hard I’ve had to restart the phone a few times to get it working again. The camera app lags from time to time. There are a lot of good new features in iOS 13, but it’s clear that Apple’s pushing hard to get it out, and I don’t think there’s any harm in waiting a tick for these bugs to get cleared up.

Assuming all the little bugs get fixed, the biggest new feature in iOS 13 is Dark Mode, which is very nice, but otherwise, it’s a lot of little things: there’s a swiping keyboard now. Reminders is a much better app. There are better photo-editing tools, and you can edit videos as well. Apple Maps keeps getting a tiny bit better every year. CarPlay has a more useful interface. Siri’s voice is slightly smoother. I love — love!— the security feature that tells you when apps are using Bluetooth or location services and prompts you to cut them off. It’s a lot of little things that add up, but if you handed this phone to someone using iOS 12, they might not even notice unless Dark Mode was on. We’ll have a full review of iOS 13 (and 13.1 when it comes out), so stay tuned for that.

I’ve been running the iOS 13 public betas on my iPad Air 2. I confirm that even the last release is buggy as heck. I would wait until the 13.1 update in a couple weeks, skipping iOS 13.0 entirely if you can at all manage it. I won’t risk my iPhone 7 to it yet.

Regarding the yet-undocumented security updates, I strongly suspect they are closing some more of the jailbreak exploits. There were credible reports recently that some (not all) of the iOS 12.4 jailbreak chain were working on iOS 13’s recent developer betas. If I know this, then so do Apple’s security teams.

CNN Business said:
A flaw in iOS 13 can expose your contact details, even though Apple was alerted about the problem in July

A flaw in iOS 13, the new iPhone operating system Apple released Thursday, exposes contact details stored in iPhones without requiring a passcode or biometric identification. And Apple (AAPL) has known about the flaw since July.

Apple confirmed that the exploit Rodriguez identified would be fixed in the next version of the operating system, iOS 13.1, which is due to be released on September 24th.
#security #applesecurity #applequality

We might not want to jump into iOS 13 right away....
I have iOS 13.1 public beta 2 on my iPhone SE, and it seems pretty solid. In the last iOS 13.0 beta that I had, Mail was a mess. I'm not sure I ever had the gold release of 13.0. I hope not.

On the other hand, I love Silence Unknown Callers. It is why I risked the first public beta and has been worth it.

The latest iOS 13.1 had a nice little surprise in the App Store - it finally will use the Keychain when you log in. With my big fingers, I rarely get my password right on the first try.

I decided to be a version .0 adopter for once. On an iPhone XR, had to do a wireless update, as wired USB iTunes (and iMazing) attempts failed, red-flagging a "device frameworks" issue (running current iTunes 12.8 but macOS 10.12.6 Sierra.

Once (finally) wirelessly completed, I and many others have found all messages from all accounts in the Mail app showing "No Sender, No Subject", though all message content seems to be present.

Reboot, restart, switching Mail app settings off and back on, jiggling the handle, etc. provide no joy. Guess I won't mess with the iPad just yet.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
FYI:
The Verge said:
iOS 13.0 is out, but why?
iOS 13 is now available to download, and if you’re reading this there’s a good chance you’ve already installed it. But if you haven’t, I encourage you to wait. You’ll need to turn off auto-updates in order to keep the install from ...automatically updating, though. Barbara Krasnoff explains how to do that here.

You should wait because iOS 13.0 is buggy. Chaim Gartenberg has a review and it’s worth a read, but the headline has it right: iOS 13 review: dark mode, a new Photos app, and bugs.

In fact, Apple quietly pushed up the release date for iOS 13.1 and iPadOS to September 24th — it was originally slated for September 30th. That’s just four or five days from when you’re likely reading this, and well worth the wait. I’d actually recommend waiting longer than five days to make sure iOS 13.1 fixes the various bugs in 13.0.
#applequality #bugs

I made the mistake of upgrading my iPhone 7 Plus to iOS 13 yesterday. It's going to be a miserable week until 13.1 comes out.

As is typical for major iOS updates, the iPhone ran hot and drained the battery for several hours, presumably updating Spotlight. But it didn't stop. Nearly 8 hours later, the iPhone was still hot to the touch. I restarted it several times. So far today, it's cool and calm.

Cellular reception is at least a bar lower than before, and I'm periodically getting No Service at home (where I've always had reception).

Mail had trouble connecting to accounts when the iPhone was on WiFi. The Cs Music (nee Cesium) player is hanging.

The App Store app had the Updates icon removed and replaced by Arcade. I've found no way to view what's available to update, what's pending, or what's been recently updated. This was 95% of why I used this app.

The Settings app had a red badge to coerce me to setup Apple Pay, which I declined after the the install. There was no way to just say no. I finally started the process and then aborted it to stop Settings' nagging. There's still a red badge on the Wallet app.

Ars Technica said:
iOS 13 on the iPhone 6S and SE: New software runs fine on a phone that’s still fast
In general, iOS 13 running on these phones is almost imperceptibly slower than the same phones running iOS 12, though in many cases performance breaks just about even. If some of the percentages seem high, it's because the times are so low that any difference at all looks like a bigger deal than it is—in practice, you don't really feel any of these differences. The only outlier is the TV app, which did take significantly longer to fully load in iOS 13 than in iOS 12, but we're just talking about a small delay in an app that people aren't going to use as often as Messages or Mail.

The App Store app had the Updates icon removed and replaced by Arcade. I've found no way to view what's available to update, what's pending, or what's been recently updated. This was 95% of why I used this app.
From my iOS 13 FAQ over on MacStrategy:

Q. How do I update Apps as the Updates button has gone (replaced with "Apple Arcade")?
A. Go to the App Store app > tap on your profile > choose Apps from the "Pending Updates" section.

I just got an iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 13. Ringer volume is set to max and not to change with the volume settings. On the first ring the volume is high but then drops dramatically on future rings. On another phone it is never as loud as the ringtone but is constant. Anybody else experiencing this?

I did the public beta testing on iOS 13 and 13.1 and found that it affected my battery life about 10 percentage points per day. I will wait for further reports on battery usage before upgrading from iOS 12.

I'm not sure how the phone is yet - I got an iPhone 11 Pro yesterday, and I know the iOS "dot release" is coming in three days, but iOS 13 is most definitely not ready for prime time, and I think they only released it because it's shipping with the phones, so they had to.

I upgraded my old phone to it two days ago, just to mitigate any potential migration issues. It was not that buggy, but the interface took a little getting used to. (I have no doubt, by the way, that it'll be fine in the near future.) It's after I got the new phone and went to restore from the backup that I ran into issues.

After a "swipe up to finish upgrading" screen, it went to a white screen, black, apple and thin status bar. In the past, Apple's iOS has let me work on the phone and use it while the migration continues. Not this time. The status went to 3/4 and then crept for over an hour. It never completed.

Eventually, I thought I should just try to restore again but, - here's the kicker - it had already migrated my settings, so it would not let me restore without turning off "find my iPhone." This was a death loop.

It had been so long since I had had trouble with an iPhone that I actually forgot about DFU or Recovery mode. I called tech support and did the chat. They were spectacularly unhelpful. I heard a dog in the background and assume that they have outsourced phone support to people working remotely.

At the same time that a light went off in my head and I was starting to put it into recovery mode, the phone person got me to a harried-sounding tech who was higher up the food chain. He said "I'm seeing a lot of that today" and proceeded to confirm that recovery mode was the way to go "if it'll let you do it," a statement that chilled me.

It did let me do it, and I decided to set it up as a new phone, rather than risk going through that again. It's probably not a bad idea to do that every few upgrades, anyway, so as not to port over any problems, but it did take away a whole day of my life. Anyway, so far, so good.

#applequality #dfu #migration #iphone11

I did the public beta testing on iOS 13 and 13.1 and found that it affected my battery life about 10 percentage points per day. I will wait for further reports on battery usage before upgrading from iOS 12.
That's interesting, and troubling — unless the betas simply had lots of power-hungry, phone-home diagnostic code enabled that will be missing, or at least user-selectable, in the release version.

For what it's worth, since installing iOS 13.0 on my iPhone Xs, I haven't noted any change in power consumption, but at that level, I'd be unlikely to.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
And... we now have an in-depth review of iOS 13 from Ars Technica.
Samuel Axon said:
iOS 13: The Ars Technica review
There's a lot more to this update than Dark Mode.

the initial launch of iOS 12 saw a lot of significant issues that had to be fixed in subsequent updates, and that was a release focused on stability. The iOS 13 beta period has been rockier than that of iOS 12, so I expect the same here.

In fact, I've already encountered a few issues. I've experienced multiple app crashes when using pop-up context menus in Apple's own apps, in one example. It makes sense to caution that while we didn’t encounter major issues in our time with iOS 13, something worse than some wonkiness here and there may well come to light soon. Hundreds of millions of people using iOS 13 may uncover something this small team couldn't.

So you might want to wait for at least iOS 13.1. But whether you upgrade now or in a few days or weeks, your iPhone will get more powerful and useful—and that’s what most of us are looking for these days.

The good
  • A continued, unrivaled focused on privacy
  • Greatly expanded file management features
  • Dark mode looks and works great
  • Maps is quietly and slowly becoming something people might actually want to use
  • More power user-focused functionality across the operating system
  • The volume indicator no longer covers the entire screen
  • Apple is taking accessibility more seriously than ever
  • Apple Arcade could set the stage for a brighter future for a quality- and user-focused app ecosystem
The bad
  • Some of the features and improvements are going to be hard for most users to discover
  • We may be reaching a point where feature bloat is actually making the operating system a little overwhelming to use for some people
  • With so many new features, a number of bugs seem to have slipped through
  • Built-in, Apple-made apps like Reminders aim wide, so they won’t please users who have specialized needs
  • This update drops support for a few older devices
The ugly
  • Why is the home screen on iPhones still such a pain to manage after 12 years?
#applequality

A very serious bug in iOS 13: If you have a POP3 mail account, there is no Sent or Trash folder, even after you send mail and trash mail. A horrible bug.

A very serious bug in iOS 13: If you have a POP3 mail account, there is no Sent or Trash folder, even after you send mail and trash mail. A horrible bug.
I upgraded my iPhone Xs to iOS 13, and currently have only POP3 accounts. I still have Sent and Trash folders, and they continue to contain sent/deleted messages, respectively.

Iphone X, IPhone 7 and iPhone 6s - all updated to iOS 13 - ran hot for the first few hours - probably curating 128 GB of photos - afterwards running fine...

I upgraded an iPhone XR to iOS13. My POP accounts have both Sent and Trash folders which operate as expected.

The front and back camera and flash (flashlight) on my son's iPhone X no longer work under iOS 13. I then put him on the beta track, going to 13.1 beta 4, to no avail. Lots of similar comments online from other iPhone X users with no solution yet.

The updates are now under your Apple ID icon. Tap on it to show your subscriptions, purchased apps, redeem code, and if you scroll down, the latest updates. Took me a while to find them...

Seems Apple keeps hiding the things you want to find to offer things to sell. For instance, Books makes every attempt to show you new books rather than the library of audiobook and reading books that I want to find on my phone, not on the cloud, and not for sale....

To check for updates, while in the App Store app, click on the image of your profile in the top right corner of your main page — this opens a page where you can select the purchased apps. Any pending updates will be listed on top; everything else loaded on your phone, current or past, is listed below.

One bug that I've seen in iOS 13 is when using iTunes via Bluetooth to my car stereo. The audio quality is great until there is silence in the audio track, and then you hear what sounds like static from your 1970's television set.... As soon as music starts again, the sound returns to normal. Anyone have a similar issue or a workaround until they release iOS 13.1?

Has anyone tried iTunes 12.6.5.3, which supports apps, with iOS 13.0 or the 13.1 beta? I have an older iPhone and macOS High Sierra, and would like to upgrade to iOS 13.1, primarily for whatever security upgrades come with it.

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts