MacInTouch Amazon link...

iPads & iPadOS

Channels
Apple
I was looking into using an iPad to display PowerPoint presentations on a projector and use an Apple pen for marking up slides. I can connect directly to the projector using either VGA or HDMI. My understanding is that I should use the VGA connection, as I want to utilize a screen-capture service where I work, and they claim it won't capture correctly with Apple and HDMI because of content protection implemented by Apple. I could go this route (lightning to VGA adapter) but I would also like to present using a wireless connection.

One route would be the Apple TV, but that is expensive and only has HDMI. I have no idea if the same Apple mandated copy protection would apply with the iPad projecting via Airplay. Also, I am not sure if I could use the Apple TV without connecting to the institutional wireless network or if Airplay allows a direct wireless connection (i.e. the content stream would not have to go through the wireless network).

Otherwise, I wonder if there is something simple (and cheap) like the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter used with the Surface. My understanding is that the Microsoft adapter acts as a standalone wireless access point, and content is streamed directly to the adapter.

I have seen some supposed Airplay-compatible adapters (all HDMI) on Amazon but the ones I looked at seemed pretty sketchy. Maybe I will just get a Surface Go and be done with it (Powerpoint probably works better anyway).

Do any MacInTouch readers have relevant experience with this?

Several organizations that I work with make extensive use of iPad Pros with the Apple pen for annotations and markups. All use AirPlay with an Apple TV connected to the projector with HDMI. I have never seen any copyright issue arise using AirPlay with the Apple TV. I would expect the (new) entry-level iPads would also work, as well as the iPad Pros.

I was looking into using an iPad to display PowerPoint presentations on a projector...
Over the years I have used my various MacBook Pros and iPads during my long-time teaching career to make presentations.

To make presentation what is needed is:
1) Some software to create your presentation. This can be a word processor like Microsoft Word, Pages, LibreOffice; or it can be presentation software like Microsoft PowerPoint or Apple's Keynote.​
2) Some device on which to view the presentation: A large-screen TV with an attached Apple TV or a video projector.​
3) Some way to get the presentation to the viewing device: WiFi, HDMI cable, VGA cable.​
I have always used a VGA adapter.

For an iPad, you would plug the adapter into the Lightning port of the iPad and connect the appropriate cable to the projection device. I always used a ceiling-mounted video projector.

The presentation software that I like is Apple's Keynote. Microsoft PowerPoint is also available. Both apps are free from the App Store. Both apps work on an iPad.

The cable to use on the iPad is Lightning to VGA Adapter, $49.00 from the Apple Store online or at any brick and mortar Apple Store or Best Buy, etc.

I have been happy with my Apple products and see no reason to use Microsoft apps or Windows-based tablets. your milage may vary.

I can connect directly to the projector using either VGA or HDMI. My understanding is that I should use the VGA connection, as I want to utilize a screen-capture service where I work, and they claim it won't capture correctly with Apple and HDMI because of content protection implemented by Apple.
Does Apple apply HDCP to all HDMI video output? Legally, they are only required to do so when playing protected content (e.g. commercial movies) - they have no such obligation when displaying other content, such as your own in-house-created presentation materials.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if Apple's HDMI adapter has HDCP "always on" or if it is only enabled when playing protected content.

If your capture service says they don't support HDMI (or that they have experience showing that it doesn't work), then it probably doesn't matter either way - you need to support what they support, which means VGA.

Does Apple apply HDCP to all HDMI video output? Legally, they are only required to do so when playing protected content (e.g. commercial movies) - they have no such obligation when displaying other content, such as your own in-house-created presentation materials.
This post by Todd Bangerter in the older MacInTouch Discussions forum links to the clearest explanation of Apple vs. HDCP I have seen yet.
Glenn Fleishman said:
Oops! You can't play most protected digital video on an external Mac monitor
Only iTunes in OS X supports external monitors.
The accurate answer to HDCP and externally connected Mac monitors has three parts:
  • iTunes can detect the connection correctly, and play the highest-resolution video on HDCP-capable monitors.
  • Non-Apple firms offering digital streaming or other digital playback options through browser plug-ins, HTML5 video, or freestanding OS X apps will always report an HDCP or other error for an external display.
  • Apple doesn’t expose the required information to third parties (via an API that developers can use) to determine whether HDCP is in place, according to Adobe.
While that article doesn't address whether HDCP is applied to all HDMI output, it does address why an institution that is supporting a number of lecture halls would make the blanket statement that they don't support Macs connecting via HDMI. It would be quite possible for a user to attempt to show a video or run software that required HDCP, but since HDCP can't be detected, it would result in the HDMI output from the Mac shutting down with no error message, thus making it look like an equipment failure on the part of the lecture hall, rather than a software/HDCP issue on the Mac.

I realize the original question was about iPad vs. HDCP, which the article above doesn't address, and I don't have the answer to that question. I would just note that what the tech support department at your organization supports and what actually works in practice are two different things.

I was looking into using an iPad to display PowerPoint presentations on a projector and use an Apple pen for marking up slides. I can connect directly to the projector using either VGA or HDMI. My understanding is that I should use the VGA connection, as I want to utilize a screen-capture service where I work, and they claim it won't capture correctly with Apple and HDMI because of content protection implemented by Apple. I could go this route (lightning to VGA adapter) but I would also like to present using a wireless connection.

One route would be the Apple TV, but that is expensive and only has HDMI.
The 4th gen (non-4K) AppleTV is widely available for about $85. It would allow using AirPlay to mirror the iPad wirelessly. If that's too expensive then perhaps the project isn't worth your effort.

One route would be the Apple TV, but that is expensive and only has HDMI. I have no idea if the same Apple mandated copy protection would apply with the iPad projecting via Airplay. Also, I am not sure if I could use the Apple TV without connecting to the institutional wireless network or if Airplay allows a direct wireless connection (i.e. the content stream would not have to go through the wireless network).

Otherwise, I wonder if there is something simple (and cheap) like the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter used with the Surface. My understanding is that the Microsoft adapter acts as a standalone wireless access point, and content is streamed directly to the adapter.

I have seen some supposed Airplay-compatible adapters (all HDMI) on Amazon but the ones I looked at seemed pretty sketchy. Maybe I will just get a Surface Go and be done with it (Powerpoint probably works better anyway).

Do any MacInTouch readers have relevant experience with this?
Take a look at AirServer for Mac. This allows you to mirror what's on your iOS device using AirPlay without having an Apple TV. You only need to be on the same network and then have a Mac (or PC) connected to the projector. Have used it off and on for a number of years.

I ended up getting an iPad Pro with the largest screen, the keyboard, and Apple Pencil 2nd-generation but with minimal memory and no cellular radio, as I don’t care about those features (and I was trying to keep the cost down).

I connect to the projector with an HDMI dongle, and the screen capture has worked fine for recording lectures. I bought a cheap Satechi Bluetooth slide presenter that works well enough. Range is limited and laser is anemic, so I have to also use a green pointer. I miss my Logitech presenter, but that won’t work with the iPad (using a USB dongle).

I tried both Keynote and PowerPoint but went with PowerPoint, as that is what I use to create presentations on my MacBook Pro. Besides, I saw no advantage with Keynote. The vaunted tap-to-erase feature of the Apple Pencil does not work in Presentation mode with Keynote, anyway. Entering formulas, which I really need, does not seem to be a viable option on the iPad. I still use MathType on the MacBook Pro for this.

I still have some odd glitches in my presentations: Text wrapping in a text box that is fine on the MacBook; fonts not appearing or appearing as the dreaded “squares” (even though I religiously use the Character Viewer to insert non-alphanumerics or symbols); and even some images/text not appearing. I blame the screen-capture software. Usually a quick trip to the podium and some sketching with the Pencil takes care of things.

More broadly, I find the idea that the iPad can serve as creation tool to be joke. I tried some simple editing/creating presentations in both Keynote and PowerPoint, and something as simple as editing a text box was a frustrating exercise in finger-poppin’ the screen. I have done some emergency edits but they are limited and generally painful. I have tried using Excel to create some charts, but something so basic for a spreadsheet was a several-hour round of google searching and trial/error. I could not select data for a created chart, couldn’t select non-continuous columns, had to create a formula to skip blank cells, and then when I tried to copy/paste the formula column so that the data was continuous, the chart insisted on plotting “0” for the blank cell.

The iPad keyboard is okay, but I am constatantly hitting the cap-lock key with no indication other than I start typing IN ALL CAPS. I also regularly toggle the keyboard ανδ την της ηαππενς (translation: “then this happens”). I have to google to get the split-screen view for two apps as I can’t seem to remember the trick. File management (which we aren’t supposed to worry about) is a total mystery. I have Documents, but I really don’t know what Files is good for.
I do find the iPad useful for meetings to type up notes in Apple Notes and to quickly look up information with Safari.

In short, a mixed experience but for my base-case usage of presenting, it works well enough.

I had an app freeze on my iPad Pro 12in. Nothing thawed the device and eventually all that showed was a spinning wheel. Could not shut it off and even connected to my iMac and iTunes there was no change.

Apple support gave me the secret. Press and releas Volume Up then Volume Down and lastly press the power button.

After restarting, everything is fine. This has not happened again, even with the app that became locked.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
I've been discussing iPads with someone who is using their iPhone far more than their 2012 MacBook Pro and has been thinking about getting an iPad but also doing quite a bit of photography.

We agree that Apple's high-end iPad Pros are priced out of consideration, but there are some interesting options a little lower down. Notably, the upcoming iPad 10.2", due Sept. 30, has a lot of the capabilities of iPad Pro tablets at a much more reasonable starting price, with Apple Pencil 1 support and a 2160x1620 display.

We're looking at three possibilities in a roughly similar price range with roughly similar capabilities, differing in processors, configuration options (e.g. storage) and a few other details: the upcoming iPad 10.2", iPad Air 3, and iPad Pro 10.5" (refurb).

Here's some related information for others who might be interested:

I've been discussing iPads with someone who is using their iPhone far more than their 2012 MacBook Pro and has been thinking about getting an iPad but also doing quite a bit of photography.
... We're looking at three possibilities in a roughly similar price range with roughly similar capabilities, differing in processors, configuration options (e.g. storage) and a few other details: the upcoming iPad 10.2", iPad Air 3, and iPad Pro 10.5" (refurb)....
If they're going to try to push more photography workload down onto the IPad, then the [upcoming] iPad 10.2" probably gets squeezed out.

The iPad Pro's A10X is a bit behind on computational "horsepower" in some areas but far closer as an 'X' model. The gap between A12 and A10X is nowhere near as big as A12 and A10 in the computational GPU. (Computational photography would lean toward the GPU and Metal.)

One upside the iPad Pro has is the 4 GB of RAM (versus 3GB). It should also be easier to multitask apps with 4 GB versus 3 GB. When iPadOS arrives in stores (or on a friend's iPad), there would be better feedback into how much more it may use that feature on an iPad. I think iPadOS may keep the refurbs in the game a bit better than the current iOS.

For the iPad Air 3, it is more cost-effective to get to 256 GB of storage than it is even for the refurb 10.5" Pros. The max storage of the 10.5" Pro is [up] in the new iPad Pro price range. (If Apple does do new iPad Pros in October, then Apple's 10.5 refurb price will drop some, making them closer.)

For direct photo capture, the iPad Pro is better (given the iPad form factor handicap).

If the iPad is for more general usage (basic productivity), then the Air is probably better if they have the budget for it. I suspect that iPadOS will lean on the neural engine more over time, so the Air 3 just has longer service life. (The 10.2" cuts corners to save cost over service life, and the 10.5" Pro is just older, so it is already on the vintage countdown clock.)

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
Here are the hardware requirements for iPadOS:
Apple said:
iPadOS is compatible with these devices.
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro
  • 11-inch iPad Pro
  • 10.5-inch iPad Pro
  • 9.7-inch iPad Pro
  • iPad (7th generation)
  • iPad (6th generation)
  • iPad (5th generation)
  • iPad mini (5th generation)
  • iPad mini 4
  • iPad Air (3rd generation)
  • iPad Air 2
Apple's refurb store has discounts on recent iPads, if you don't want to go for the new iPad 10.2-inch, which presumably requires iOS 13/iPadOS.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
For the iPad Air 3, it is more cost-effective to get to 256 GB of storage than it is even for the refurb 10.5" Pros.
That just gets expensive, though I agree the iPad Air 3 looks like a good performer. But it's $500+ to start, with 64 GB, and $650+ at the next level (256 GB) — oh, or discounted to $599 at Amazon. Adding an Apple Pencil and a case/keyboard pushes up the price to numbers where you're competing with a Microsoft Surface Pro.

If they're going to try to push more photography workload down onto the IPad, then the [upcoming] iPad 10.2" probably gets squeezed out. The iPad Pro's A10X is a bit behind on computational "horsepower" in some areas but far closer as an 'X' model. The gap between A12 and A10X is nowhere near as big as A12 and A10 in the computational GPU. (Computational photography would lean toward the GPU and Metal.) One upside the iPad Pro has is the 4 GB of RAM (versus 3GB). It should also be easier to multitask apps with 4 GB versus 3 GB. When iPadOS arrives in stores (or on a friend's iPad), there would be better feedback into how much more it may use that feature on an iPad. I think iPadOS may keep the refurbs in the game a bit better than the current iOS.
iPads for photography (presumably in the editing workflow?) seem interesting, and I want to hear more from folks who are using the platform for this purpose, but at the moment they seem pretty limited for very serious work (probably okay for hobbyist type work):

- 4GB memory - A 45Mpixel sensor edited at 16-bit/channel yields about a 270MB size raw. With a multi-layer editing flow, I think you could use up quite a bit of that 4GB pretty quickly.​
- 128GB storage - This just seems inadequate. Even the iPad Air 3 at 256GB seems limited. Apple is clearly pushing iCloud storage as the infinite don't-worry-your-pretty-little-head option; I'm okay with the concept of off-device storage, but I think there's opportunity for Apple to support "my cloud" (e.g., local LAN network storage) as well as Apple's iCloud. I think it depends on how much Apple wants to support the user versus treating them as a never-ending revenue source. I haven't been too encouraged on this front, particularly Apple's guidance to their developers to promote subscription licenses.​
- Apple Pencil 1 - This is a decidedly okay device, best stylus I've used on a tablet so far, but kind of hokey with charging semantics, and I know some more serious users are a bit down on durability of the tips.​
- No great ways for using an external monitor for previews. AirPlay 2 is better than I thought; maybe it's adequate? I always find huge color issues when I'm displaying my i-device to an AirPlay-capable device.​
- Usually proprietary apps for directly importing different camera images. I haven't yet experienced using an external SD reader for iPad - what are folks experiences on this?​

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
If the iPad is for more general usage (basic productivity), then the Air is probably better if they have the budget for it. I suspect that iPadOS will lean on the neural engine more over time, so the Air 3 just has longer service life. (The 10.2" cuts corners to save cost over service life, and the 10.5" Pro is just older, so it is already on the vintage countdown clock.)
I agree the iPad Air 3 looks like a good performer. But it's $500+ to start, with 64 GB, and $650+ at the next level (256 GB) [or $599 at Amazon].
With the Amazon discount on the iPad Air 3, we're going with that, and we'll see how it works out for them for limited photo editing and general use as an intermediate replacement for a 2012 MacBook Pro with a tired battery.

As I continued researching peripheral issues, I found that there are 1080p HDMI adapters, including one from Apple, but their quality is questionable. Not sure if they'll need that or not. (They have a 4K 32-inch display for the Macs, but one goal here is easy portability.)

An SD card reader for Raw photo file transfer is a prime consideration. I don't know if Lightning-USB cables can handle photo transfer, or if iPadOS makes transfers any easier. (In general, Apple's Lightning walled garden looks problematic in comparison to standard USB-C on other platforms and the top-end iPad Pros with the highest prices.)

- Usually proprietary apps for directly importing different camera images. I haven't yet experienced using an external SD reader for iPad - what are folks experiences on this?​
I've imported photos from an external SD reader (just a cheap one I got off Amazon) to my iPad Pro with no problems.

There are many thousands of businesses out there using Square credit card processing and using a 9.7” iPad on the Square stand, which has a hub for printer, cash drawer, etc.

I am concerned that the end of the 9.7” is near, rendering these stands obsolete when a 9.7" iPad dies with no way to replace it.

iPadOS was allegedly released mid-day yesterday, but I am not able to update using Software Update on either of my two iPads: iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro (10.5"). Is anyone else facing this issue?

iPadOS was allegedly released mid-day yesterday, but I am not able to update using Software Update on either of my two iPads: iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro (10.5"). Is anyone else facing this issue?
iPadOS 13.1 is showing for me on an iPad Mini 4 - it took about 30 seconds of the whirly wheel to appear. But I won't be installing it for at least a couple of days, while I let the early adopters discover all the bugs in it. ;-)

As I will be sticking with Mojave for quite a while on our Macs, and the iPad Air 2 is our last iToy that can still be updated, I'm curious to know if somehow updating to iPadOS will get me stuck in a situation where Catalina is required for something or other to run. In the end never really used it for much, but still (I do recall something along the lines of not being able to backup to iTunes after moving to a version of iOS that went beyond the macOS version I was sticking with at the time)...

I have the same iPads as you mentioned above. They detected the new iPadOS 13.1 and installed just fine. I have noticed in the past, when it came to updates, the DNS server sometimes doesn't have the latest pointer updates. Your DNS server will probably update itself soon. Hope this helps.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
I’m installing iPadOS now over iOS 12 on an iPad 6th generation. The iPad Air (first generation) says it’s up to date on iOS 12 and isn’t supported by Apple for iPadOS (nor, apparently, iOS 13...).

Two days after release, and iPads still won't update 'over the air'. Read a suggestion to try using iTunes. It appears that iTunes recognizes that there is an update available and will let me update from there. This takes care of one of my two iPads - the Air 2 - not clear on where to go with the Pro that doesn't seem to want to update. More to come.

My iPad Pro 10.5" would not show the 13.1 update until I removed the iPadOS beta profile.

Moving apps to folders or the dock fails much more often than not, even after restoring iPadOS and a backup from iTunes.

The app management feature in earlier iTunes versions was much more convenient.

I had a rather embarrassing experience with iOS 12 on an iPad Pro when an email notification popped up on the screen while I was presenting. Even worse, the presentation was being recorded.

After weathering the moment, I tested this back in my office. I had "Do Not Disturb" set to on, of course, but while this apparently prevents Message notifications from appearing, even for VIPs, it does not prevent email notifications from VIPs.

I could turn VIP notifications off permanently in the Mail settings, but instead I found that changing the "Silence" setting to "Always" in the "Do Not Disturb" settings prevented the notifications.

Maybe this is obvious, but I don't know why Messages and emails are treated differently.

Now I just have to figure out how to edit that recording.

[With] iPads that have been updated to iPadOS 13.1.1: iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 10.5, I noticed a strange problem for iPadOS 13.1.1 (it really started with iPadOS 13.1):

In the dock on the right side are the icons for active apps running in the iOS. Most of the time when tapping on one, there is no action. Only a few times do those icons work. Have any of you seen this problem?

[With] iPads that have been updated to iPadOS 13.1.1: iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 10.5, I noticed a strange problem for iPadOS 13.1.1 (it really started with iPadOS 13.1):
In the dock on the right side are the icons for active apps running in the iOS. Most of the time when tapping on one, there is no action. Only a few times do those icons work. Have any of you seen this problem?
Yup, same here. A restart seems to help for a time

On my iPad Pro 9.7" with iPadOS and the Lightning connector, I am unable to plug in a USB drive and have it mount in the Files app. I have tried two different drives with dual connectors, USB and Lightning.

I have read reviews that say this should work with the attached drive showing up in Locations. It does not for me.

Any thoughts to get this to work?

[With] iPads that have been updated to iPadOS 13.1.1: iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 10.5, I noticed a strange problem for iPadOS 13.1.1 (it really started with iPadOS 13.1). In the dock on the right side are the icons for active apps running in the iOS. Most of the time when tapping on one, there is no action. Only a few times do those icons work. Have any of you seen this problem?
I have seen it. Unlike your experience, most of the time my dock icons do work, but I have experienced three episodes of unresponsive app icons at the right end of the dock. In each case, a restart resolved it.

There are many thousands of businesses out there using Square credit card processing and using a 9.7” iPad on the Square stand, which has a hub for printer, cash drawer, etc. I am concerned that the end of the 9.7” is near, rendering these stands obsolete when a 9.7" iPad dies with no way to replace it.
Technically, Square doesn't even support all of the 9.7" iPad range.
Square said:
Recommended Hardware for Square Stand
Note:
Square no longer sells or manufactures the stand for iPad 2 or iPad 3, but we’ll continue to provide troubleshooting support for these models.
This isn't particularly new, in that the iPad being inserted had a limited replacement range in time that was not "forever". IPad 2 and 3 dropped out, and those folks needed a new stand over an extended period of time.

The more current "thinned-out relative to the original" 9.7" has had a long run, but the list of iPads that don't work in that article is longer than the ones that do, even before this most recent change.

There will be used original iPad Air linage for a long time, especially, the "low cost" model that Apple sold over the last two years (of which there are many millions). If pragmatically removed from the general Internet, those should still have utility even after Apple stops the iOS updates for them. Many millions trickling down to many thousands is sustainable for a substantial amount of time.

The long term for the stand is whether Apple stops and holds on this iPad Pro 10.5" baseline dimension for a substantial amount of time to build up market for a new stand. (Or they change the Stand design so it's less fixed on one specific size - a wrapping case attaches to the stand base in some secure way.)

5-10 years out, I wouldn't bet on newer low-end iPads having Lightning connectors, either. So the screen dimensions aren't the only long-term issue. These lightning-connector atands would have issues with that change also.

(As long as Apple keeps thinning out the iPhone, Lightning has an edge there. But I think the years are numbered on the iPads. That won't stay a "Pro" feature forever, especially as external drive support increases in iPadOS.)

On my iPad Pro 9.7" with iPadOS and the Lightning connector, I am unable to plug in a USB drive and have it mount in the Files app. I have tried two different drives with dual connectors, USB and Lightning. I have read reviews that say this should work with the attached drive showing up in Locations. It does not for me. Any thoughts to get this to work?
Other than that the devices must be self-powered? It won't even power a thumb drive or a card reader. (I don't have any self-powered USB drives to test.)

... In the dock on the right side are the icons for active apps running in the iOS. Most of the time when tapping on one, there is no action. Only a few times do those icons work. Have any of you seen this problem?
Yes, I have. Both for Facebook and Apple Store apps (so Apple and not-so-Apple apps).

I can reselect the app from the running apps ("switcher"?), but not from the dock. Restart of the device gets things working again. For a while...

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
A few preliminary notes from the user(s) of a new 10.5" iPad Air 3, which has been on sale at Amazon:
  • The screen is nice, and the iPad seems fast (vs. a 2012 MacBook Pro with SSD upgrade). The device is fairly light and handy. WiFi seems like it might be working better than other Apple devices’ WiFi (but no real tests have been done).
  • They bought an Apple Pencil (it requires the first version) and Apple folio case:
    • Online reports cite reliability/longevity problems with the Pencil.
    • The case is expensive but works via Apple's special attachment system, which is nice, and the keyboard is fine. The case only holds the iPad at one angle. There's no back cover — it's only for the front.
    • Apple's prices are excessive.
    • They got an inexpensive third-party cover for the back that holds the Apple Pencil.
  • Migrating apps and settings from an iPhone was a lot more trouble and complexity than expected from Apple.
  • A bunch of apps offer only silly iPhone-sized interfaces on the iPad and need to be replaced by iPad-specific versions (or updated versions?). This wasn't obvious/intuitive beforehand.
  • For typical daily activities, YouTube, messaging, web surfing, etc., this iPad works well.
  • The compact size works well in a coffeeshop setting for tasks such as trip planning.
  • They haven't tried photo editing yet but did buy Affinity Photo for iPad.

An update: Seems like from updating to iPadOS 13.1.2 and the requisite restart, the icon problem in the dock has been corrected. Glad to know some others had the same problem as I did.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
At a hundred bucks for a stylus, I'd kind of like to see better quality and reviews than this...
Apple Store customers said:
Apple Pencil (1st Generation)

Ratings & Reviews
3 out of 5 stars

Number of starsPercentageNumber of reviews
5​
29%​
115 reviews​
4​
13%​
51 reviews​
3​
12%​
47 reviews​
10%
39 reviews
26%
101 reviews
I guess a Logitech Crayon is the alternative (at a much lower price).

#applequality

I bought an 11" iPad Pro on Tuesday to replace my old iPad Air 1. I updated the Air to the latest iOS (12.4.2, the highest it would go), backed it up using iTunes, and did an Erase All Content and Settings, so I could give it to a young friend.

Then I connected the iPad Pro to my new-ish Mac Mini running iTunes 12.14.6, and attempted to restore the backup to it. Got a message that the iOS version on the Pro was too old; turns out that it shipped with iOS 12.3.x.

So I downloaded the iOS 12.4 IPSW package for the 11" iPad Pro, but it wouldn't work – after many tries, I kept being told that "The iPad could not be restored. The signing server returned an internal error."

I tried fixes for this problem I found on the internet, but none worked. So I figured I'd bite the bullet and upgrade to iPadOS 13.2.1.

Then the computer first wanted to update iTunes, so I let it. After it updated, iTunes couldn't verify the iOS 13.1.2 update, so I updated the iPad Pro over the air.

I don't know if one can install iOS 13.1.2 from a computer running Mojave, but I was out of patience by this time and just updated the iPad Pro. I was then able to restore the content from the iPad Air backup (which surprised me, to be honest).

Everything seems to be working pretty well, except Safari on the iPad Pro can't see open tabs on my other machines on the same network, something all the other machines can do quite well; and the other machines can't see the iPad Pro Safari tabs.

After a few restarts, insuring that all the correct boxes are checked, and patiently waiting for the tabs to appear, I finally suspect that my other machines would have to be updated to Catalina in order for the iPad Pro to see tabs. The easy test for this would be to see if the iPad Pro could see my iPhone XS after I update it to iOS 13, but I am not ready to do that yet.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
So I downloaded the iOS 12.4 IPSW package for the 11" iPad Pro, but it wouldn't work – after many tries, I kept being told that "The iPad could not be restored. The signing server returned an internal error."
I believe you'd have to download iOS 12.4.2 (or possibly 12.4.1). The older version without security fixes is no longer "signed" and is thus unavailable.

More info here:

thanks to Todd's tips here:

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts