MacInTouch Amazon link...

iPhone SE

Channels
Products

The iPhone SE is still sold in several other markets. It just has not been available to those of us in the US. As an example, you can still buy one at Costco Canada if you are a member there.

I will be curious to see if these units were made in China or India.

The iPhone SE is still sold in several other markets. It just has not been available to those of us in the US. As an example, you can still buy one at Costco Canada if you are a member there.

I will be curious to see if these units were made in China or India.
Just collected my wife's new iPhone SE. Serial number analysis says manufactured in China week 10 (March) of 2018. Came with a completely flat battery but in original shrink-wrapped packaging. Had to upgrade IOS before restoring from the replaced phone backup.

One color left now. It won't be there long.
That clearance page seems to be a bit fickle. If you start from www.apple.com and go to refurb/clearance > browse all > clearance, it seems to reset.

Selling out quick may be [due to limited] quantity they have as opposed to sustainable high demand. I'm not sure what business model Apple uses for unloading inventory from other retailers, but this could be Apple taking some stuff back (perhaps in trade/incentives to push more XR/XS models). Apple has already warned that the iPhone numbers are [not] going to look as good as "Wall Street" wanted them to. That is an opportune time to 'spring clean' other stuff that may be stuck. If this is getting older stuff out of inventory, that wouldn't necessarily point to some vindication or resurgence (SE2) path.

The SE at $200-299 isn't bad (at least in the USA market). Where Apple normally [prices] it is probably in part a problem. If Moto and Samsung can make the $1,500 flip phone work extremely well, maybe Apple will jump in with their own $1,000 'small pocket' iPhone.
Engadget said:
Motorola's next RAZR revival could be a $1,500 foldable phone
Motorola's RAZR flip-phone is reportedly set for a $1,500 foldable makeover....
P.S. Apple inventory targets normally runs about 4-5 months (or less). 10+ month stuff is things they don't particularly like. Products that stay in that state are unlikely to be put in a high-priority development queue.

Revisited the iPhone SE clearance page just now. This is the page you land on when you you select an iPhone SE from the previously-mentioned Clearance Accessories for Mac, iPad, iPod Products and Accessories - iPhone.

I notice that although all are out of stock at the moment, the page currently reads (note the promo prices),
Apple said:
128GB, $299.00 $449.00 Special Offer - Promo - $150.00
32GB, $249.00 $349.00 Special Offer - Promo -$100.00
Bargain hunters might want to continue refreshing.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
Why are people in such a rush to get an iPhone SE? They won't run iOS 13.
  1. right price
  2. right size
  3. good features
  4. good quality
  5. good compatibility
  6. good experiences among many users since 2016
  7. aluminum back (not glass)
Those who want a newer model with a better camera and water resistance that's also bigger and heavier may be interested in iPhone 7 refurbs, which still retain an aluminum back (vs. the glass back of the iPhone 8).

Mainly price and size, but:

I ran an iPhone 5 for over six years, never upgrading beyond iOS 7. Only occasionally and lately did I feel like I was missing much. (In particular, some "modern" web pages had trouble rendering in "ancient" Safari. Also, most of Apple's upgrade offerings in recent years seem to include vendor lock-in features and pushing data to outside parties. I shun those.) I suspect I may be able to run the SE for a similar length of time with similar results. Such is the life of an old fart.

Disclaimer: I had to (personally) repair the iPhone 5 a couple of times, replacing the battery, audio jack/lightning port assembly and screen over its lifetime. I spent a total of $106.95 on repair parts. At a certain point, it became a hobby/challenge to see how long it could run. It still runs, but camera and flash failed, so I went shopping and lucked into the SE. I may be an old fart, but I'm wily!

Is this a known fact, or just rumor?
Probably rumor, as Apple would also have to ditch the 5s, 6, and 6s, and the SE and 6s were both sold within the last year. It would be highly unlikely that Apple would cut all of those out as the 6s and SE could still be under AppleCare from an initial purchase. Since Apple doesn’t backport security updates on iOS the way they do for macOS, it seems far more likely they will continue to support those phones for at least two more revisions. The 5s and possibly the 6 may drop but I doubt it would go beyond that.

Is this a known fact, or just rumor?
A rumor as far as I know. I did a brief search and found articles (also rumors, of course) that predict the SE will run iOS 13, and possibly even iOS 14 and 15. The vast majority seem to predict that it will run iOS 13, at least. The SE has an A9 chip, the same as the 6s, and was released in 2016. Of course, we won't find out for sure until this summer...

My wife has an SE and no intention of getting a bigger iPhone, so I hope that it supports iOS 13.

… note the promo prices... Bargain hunters might want to continue refreshing.
Apple said:
128GB, $299.00 $449.00 Special Offer - Promo - $150.00
32GB, $249.00 $349.00 Special Offer - Promo -$100.00
Now that SEs are back again, I can see that I optimistically and erroneously read this as "128 GB now $150," but "-$150.00" means "$150 off list," i.e., $299 for a 128GB model, same as past clearance sales. Still a good deal.

Doesn't Apple usually have a clearance sale before they introduce a new version of their old hardware? Could a new SE be around the corner? I'd be very interested...

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
Really? That seems to be a rumor completely devoid of any firm foundation. Do you know something that the rest of us don't?
MacRumors said:
Questionable Rumor Suggests iOS 13 Will Drop Compatibility for iPhone 5s Through iPhone 6s
The Verifier has updated the original article to list the lack of iOS 13 support for the iPhone SE and iPhone 6s as "questionable" rather than concrete.

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts