MacInTouch Amazon link...

Microsoft Office and alternatives

Channels
Security, Troubleshooting, Products
I finally took the plunge and upgraded to 2016, since security updates stopped for 2011 some months ago. But ironically, I can't update 2016. Microsoft AutoUpdate freezes while loading. Nice.

A support link (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-for-mac/8eee2a57-3dcb-4203-89be-d0b8fc37ad11) says to update Silverlight (seriously? they need Silverlight for that? they aren't kidding?) and make sure it's enabled in Safari, but that has no effect.

Has anyone else who upgraded to Office 2016 in a more timely way run into this and found a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Richard. I had the most current version, since Office was installed from the direct download. I downloaded Microsoft AutoUpdate again anyway from this page and installed it—same sad story.

Thanks, Richard. I had the most current version, since Office was installed from the direct download. I downloaded Microsoft AutoUpdate again anyway from this page and installed it—same sad story.
I've sometimes seen Microsoft AutoUpdate behave oddly, most recently when it failed repeatedly to download a update to Outlook 2016. However, I've never seen it freeze during loading.

I just checked the version of Microsoft AutoUpdate on my computer (it's in Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0). The version number is 3.18. Oddly, the version of Microsoft AutoUpdate shown on the Microsoft update history page is 4.0.0. I don't understand the discrepancy, as Microsoft AutoUpdate should check itself to see if it's up to date, but this might be a clue.

... Oddly, the version of Microsoft AutoUpdate shown on the Microsoft update history page is 4.0.0. I don't understand the discrepancy, as Microsoft AutoUpdate should check itself to see if it's up to date, but this might be a clue.
This isn't the first time Microsoft AutoUpdate hasn't updated itself to the version on the website. I've never bothered to track down the cause, I just manually install Microsoft AutoUpdate.

For some Microsoft AutoUpdate updates, it won't show updates for the suite until Microsoft AutoUpdate itself is updated. Perhaps it's stuck in this state, it thinks it needs to be updated before it'll show the other updates.

I don't know what file(s) to trash to get Microsoft AutoUpdate to resync. I'll investigate.

I finally took the plunge and upgraded to 2016, since security updates stopped for 2011 some months ago. But ironically, I can't update 2016. Microsoft AutoUpdate freezes while loading. Nice.

A support link (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-for-mac/8eee2a57-3dcb-4203-89be-d0b8fc37ad11) says to update Silverlight (seriously? they need Silverlight for that? they aren't kidding?) and make sure it's enabled in Safari, but that has no effect.

Has anyone else who upgraded to Office 2016 in a more timely way run into this and found a solution?

Thanks in advance.
Your issue has nothing to do with SilverLight - SilverLight is dead and if you have it installed you should remove it.

Your issue is most likely a bad preference file or software corruption. As I see from this forum thread that you have already tried simply installing the latest Microsoft AutoUpdate (MAU) version, your best bet is probably to remove Office 2011 and 2016 and then reinstall Office 2016 fresh. My MacStrategy web site has articles on manually removing office:
Once you've done that, download the latest Office 2016 full installer directly from Microsoft - you want: Office suite (all applications), 16.13.1 (18052304), "Install package" link.

This isn't the first time Microsoft AutoUpdate hasn't updated itself to the version on the website. I've never bothered to track down the cause, I just manually install Microsoft AutoUpdate.

For some Microsoft AutoUpdate updates, it won't show updates for the suite until Microsoft AutoUpdate itself is updated. Perhaps it's stuck in this state, it thinks it needs to be updated before it'll show the other updates..
There are two reasons why Microsoft AutoUpdate (MAU) might not update itself to the version listed on the website:
  1. Minimum macOS requirement. There is a situation where, although MAU v3 works with Office 2011 and if you are running 2011 on an older OS, as MAU 3 requires OS X 10.10 or later to run, it won't automatically update.
  2. Microsoft are testing a version with major new features, so it is rolled out slowly to different sets of users over time - this occured with a couple of the v3 updates and this is currently the case with the brand new MAU v4. It's going to testers first and at some point, which may have already occurred, those who choose to be on the Office Insider Track, and then when it's ready for prime-time it will autoupdate for everyone.
Of course, regardless of being an Office Insider or not, you can get the latest installer from the web site and install manually if you wish. MAU v4 has or is getting some great new features - the online video by a couple of the MS dev team has loads more information about that.

There are two reasons why Microsoft AutoUpdate (MAU) might not update itself to the version listed on the website:
  1. Minimum macOS requirement. There is a situation where, although MAU v3 works with Office 2011 and if you are running 2011 on an older OS, as MAU 3 requires OS X 10.10 or later to run, it won't automatically update.
  2. Microsoft are testing a version with major new features, so it is rolled out slowly to different sets of users over time - this occured with a couple of the v3 updates and this is currently the case with the brand new MAU v4. It's going to testers first and at some point, which may have already occurred, those who choose to be on the Office Insider Track, and then when it's ready for prime-time it will autoupdate for everyone.
Of course, regardless of being an Office Insider or not, you can get the latest installer from the web site and install manually if you wish. MAU v4 has or is getting some great new features - the online video by a couple of the MS dev team has loads more information about that.
Of the two reasons, only the second might apply in my setup. But if Microsoft AutoUpdate is really still being tested and rolled out to users on the Insider Track program, I'd expect that to be noted on Microsoft's release history page. In any case, the version I have is continuing to update other MS apps, most recently Skype for Business, so it's working.

I can't update 2016. Microsoft AutoUpdate freezes while loading.
I don't know if it's the same problem or not, but I occasionally also find the 2016 auto-update tool hanging and I do not have Silverlight installed at all.

When it gets in this state, it won't launch - its window doesn't open and the icon doesn't stop bouncing. I can force-quit it, but subsequent launches also fail. In order to run it again, I need to reboot the computer. And when I do, the shutdown sequence takes an incredibly long time - probably waiting for some frozen process to terminate, eventually timing out.

I don't know if AutoUpdate freezing is the cause or the symptom here, but I definitely see it from time to time, and I never did with the Office 2011 AutoUpdate tool.

I'm confused about Silverlight. Microsoft is still offering it, and I find no mention of it being obsolete. Is that just for the latest browsers and/or versions of the Mac OS? I am still running El Capitan, which appears to be compatible when I check on the Silverlight download page, but when I land there I get a message saying "You are running on a browser that may not be fully compatible with Microsoft Silverlight." (I'm on the latest Firefox, 60.0.2.)

I'm confused about Silverlight. Microsoft is still offering it, and I find no mention of it being obsolete. Is that just for the latest browsers and/or versions of the Mac OS? I am still running El Capitan, which appears to be compatible when I check on the Silverlight download page, but when I land there I get a message saying "You are running on a browser that may not be fully compatible with Microsoft Silverlight." (I'm on the latest Firefox, 60.0.2.)
From social.msdn.microsoft.com:
"Microsoft announced the end of life of Silverlight 5 in 2012. In 2013, Microsoft announced that they had ceased development of Silverlight except for patches and bugfixes. Silverlight is no longer supported in Chrome on OS X, while support for Silverlight in Chrome on all other operating systems was disabled by default in April 2015 and was removed completely in September 2015. Microsoft has set the support end date for Silverlight 5 to be October 2021. In 2015, Microsoft announced that since support for ActiveX was discontinued with Microsoft Edge, Silverlight will not be supported in that browser"
The Silverlight product lifecycle page lists end of support on 12th October 2021, and a link from that page shows compatibility with Safari/Firefox browsers actually ended on 31st December 2016.

From social.msdn.microsoft.com:

The Silverlight product lifecycle page lists end of support on 12th October 2021, and a link from that page shows compatibility with Safari/Firefox browsers actually ended on 31st December 2016.
Just a heads up. A client of mine relies on government websites that require Silverlight, Flash, or Java. Government agencies often have no funding to keep their websites up to modern standards.

AFAIK my client is still using a training site that uses Silverlight. They have the current versions of Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. I'd hope someone would complain if they couldn't use this critical site...

... I don't know what file(s) to trash to get Microsoft AutoUpdate to resync. I'll investigate.
Try moving Microsoft AutoUpdate's preference file to your Desktop. Starting in your Home folder (command-shift-H in Finder). If the Library folder isn't visible: while your Home folder is the active window drag the View menu to Show View Options, then check Show Library Folder. Open Library and then open Preferences. Find com.microsoft.autoupdate2.plist. Drag it to your Desktop. To be safe, restart the Mac. Now try running Microsoft AutoUpdate.

If it works, fine. If not, you may need to follow Graham's instructions for completely removing Office.

I am confused too. I was using Safari (11.1.1) and Netflix yesterday and a message came up that I need to install Silverlight. I didn't find a way to get out without installing Silverlight. Chrome and Netflix didn't complain about Silverlight!

I am confused too. I was using Safari (11.1.1) and Netflix yesterday and a message came up that I need to install Silverlight. I didn't find a way to get out without installing Silverlight. Chrome and Netflix didn't complain about Silverlight!
According to this Netflix page you can use HTML 5 Player or Silverlight. The page shows supported browser/OS/hardware configurations for the HTML 5 Player e.g. if you want 1080p you have to use Safari on OS X 10.10.3 or later. Obviously, once Silverlight dies and goes the way of Adobe Flash (at some point in the future) - good riddance - the HTML 5 Player will be the only way to go.

For Karl, I think Chrome doesn't complain about Silverlight because it has Flash built in. On Safari, as recently as March I had to update it for Amazon Video.

Thanks to all the others for their observations so far on MAU. By way of detail, I have version 4.0.0 (the latest), so maybe the problem isn't that it's out of date but that it isn't. :) I had already tried killing the preference file, but that didn't help. I'm reluctant to reinstall the whole thing again—must be 8-10GB or something like that—and possibly be the in the same place, but that may be the only path.

Oh, and thanks to Sam for the nice tidbit about keeping the ~/Library folder visible. I hadn't seen that before. I'm a keyboard person, and it was a pain to always go to the Go menu with the Option key.

According to this Netflix page you can use HTML 5 Player or Silverlight. The page shows supported browser/OS/hardware configurations for the HTML 5 Player e.g. if you want 1080p you have to use Safari on OS X 10.10.3 or later. Obviously, once Silverlight dies and goes the way of Adobe Flash (at some point in the future) - good riddance - the HTML 5 Player will be the only way to go.
Yes, that helps and explains. I used Safari/Netflix on a Mac Mini (mid 2010), which according to the Netflix help page does not support HTML5 (only devices after 2012 and some select 2011 models support HTML5), so I guess it is looking for the next best solution, which is Silverlight 5.

I am wondering what will happen once Silverlight goes away. I guess Chrome/Netflix...

I don't know if it's the same problem or not, but I occasionally also find the 2016 auto-update tool hanging and I do not have Silverlight installed at all.

When it gets in this state, it won't launch - its window doesn't open and the icon doesn't stop bouncing. I can force-quit it, but subsequent launches also fail. In order to run it again, I need to reboot the computer. And when I do, the shutdown sequence takes an incredibly long time - probably waiting for some frozen process to terminate, eventually timing out.

I don't know if AutoUpdate freezing is the cause or the symptom here, but I definitely see it from time to time, and I never did with the Office 2011 AutoUpdate tool.
David, what version of MAU are you running?

David, what version of MAU are you running?
It's currently 3.18 (180410), installed via Office365. But I'm not sure that this is the version that would occasionally hang or if that was an older (since replaced) version.

I also saw that today it is asking me to upgrade to 4.0.0 (18061000). I just installed it and found updates for everything else, dated this past Sunday, June 10. I'm now installing them.

I have no clue if this will stop it from hanging (it rarely happened in the first place) but if it happens again, I'll post an update here.

Another data point which might help. I rarely launch MAU from the menu-bar in Office apps. After launching it the first time, I right-clicked its icon and selected "Keep in Dock", so I can just click the MAU icon in the Dock and launch it directly. I don't think this has been the cause of any problems, but just in case it is meaningful to you, I'm mentioning it here.

Also possibly relevant is the fact that I still have Office 2011 (standalone license) installed on this Mac. I haven't removed it. Perhaps its MAU is conflicting with the one from Office365? Or do they share the same updater?

Interesting... I just ran MAU 3.18 from the Outlook menu and it offered to update to 4.0, which I did. So now it's showing five updates dated June 10 (the same ones you noted). Oddly, they didn't appear when I ran MAU yesterday. (I'd install them, but I'm in the middle of a conference call and using a couple of the apps!)

I don't have Office 2011 installed. If it kept its updater in the same location as Office 2016 (Library/Application Support/Microsoft), it might be worth looking there to see if there are two updaters.

... Also possibly relevant is the fact that I still have Office 2011 (standalone license) installed on this Mac. I haven't removed it. Perhaps its MAU is conflicting with the one from Office365? Or do they share the same updater?
Office 2011 and 2016/365 share the same updater, it's in
/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/

The folder was renamed in the past when version 2.0 came out, Microsoft never updated the name.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
Microsoft new has an Office 2019 for Mac preview program... for "commercial customers" only...
Microsoft said:
Office 2019 for Mac Preview is ready for commercial customers
Today we’re pleased to announce the commercial preview of Office 2019 for Mac – including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and OneNote. Office 2019 for Mac is the next perpetual update to Office on Mac and is set to ship alongside Office 2019 for Windows in the second half of 2018.

Office 365 ProPlus delivers the most productive and most secure Office experience – with the lowest TCO for deployment and management. But for customers who aren’t yet ready to move to the cloud, Office 2019 for Mac provides an update to the perpetual apps with new features for both end users and IT.

Office 2019 for Mac delivers new features to help end users create amazing content in less time. Updates include the roaming pencil case and ribbon customizations across Office apps; focus mode in Word; Morph transitions, in-click sequence, and 4k video export in PowerPoint; new charts and functions in Excel; and focused inbox in Outlook. These features are already included in Office 365 ProPlus but are not available in Office for Mac 2016. For a longer list of the end-user features in Office 2019 for Mac, see the FAQ.

I also saw that today it is asking me to upgrade to 4.0.0 (18061000). I just installed it and found updates for everything else, dated this past Sunday, June 10. I'm now installing them.
I have a 2017 27" iMac running Sierra (10.12.6). Yesterday I was prompted to install MAU 4.0.0, which I did. It then showed the updates for June 10. I started the Excel update, and after a few minutes it hung. After waiting and then deciding that MAU would never resume, I quit it. I found that it left Excel in an unusable state - clicking on the icon in the dock or in the Applications folder did nothing. I downloaded the update from Microsoft's web site and executed it.

That fixed Excel. The first time I started Excel, it took longer than usual, presumably reinitializing things. Since then startup has been normal. I downloaded the other updaters (I have only Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) and ran them without issue.

I'll see what happens next month.

Oh, and thanks to Sam for the nice tidbit about keeping the ~/Library folder visible. I hadn't seen that before. I'm a keyboard person, and it was a pain to always go to the Go menu with the Option key.
You can also add your Library folder to the Finder sidebar by dragging the title bar icon for the Library to the sidebar. That is how I access it typically. This is in El Cap so I am not sure about High Sierra.

This morning, MAU presented and installed version 16.14.1 (build 180613). Microsoft's web site appears to have not yet updated so I don't know what they changed in two days.

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts