MacInTouch Amazon link...

miscellaneous / troubleshooting

Channels
Troubleshooting, Other, Questions
Let's kick off the troubleshooting section with an actual question:

A few years back, I had a program that worked fine for years, and one day simply quit opening its main window (rendering it useless.) Reboot; safemode; several system updates; nothing I could think of would bring back the main window for this one ( out of hundreds) application.

Fast forward to two days ago, when an update to TechTool Pro came out - 9.6.1 to 9.6.2. Deja vu all over again. 9.6.2 would not open its main window, while 9.6.1 continues to work fine. Safemode had no effect. A complete delete/scrub and reinstall of the app also made no difference. The window isn't minimized; or on some phantom monitor; - it's just not there!

So I'm wondering if there's some behind-the-scenes "windows ID list" (I'm making that up) that tracks windows id numbers or some such thing, that might be saying "TechTool, you're trying to open a window with ID 12345, and 12345 is reserved or in use." Or perhaps some system cache? I've deleted as many caches as I can find, along with plists. All to no avail.

I'd be happy to take suggestions and to learn something new in the process. I can live without TTP of course, but not with a mystery I can't fix! :-)

I don’t think such a list exists; there are window IDs used in the window server, but I believe they are entirely opaque to applications. I’ve occasionally had programs try to open their main windows off-screen, but that was usually due to corrupted preference files (or changes in monitor configuration) coupled with not properly checking that the saved window position is at least partially visible.

Do you see any “interesting” errors in the system log around this time that might hint at what’s going on?

The Console application in Sierra and later, sadly, seems to be pretty useless from my point of view, as it doesn’t look backwards and I nearly always am running it because of an error that has already happened! (The rewrite feels like it was designed by a developer who only thought of the use case of “testing a run of my new application”). Running "log show --last 5m" will bring up a whole lot of logging from the past five minutes, and piping that into BBEdit or your favourite editor makes it reasonably searchable. I’d hope to see errors logged from either TechTool Pro or WindowServer in this situation.

Deja vu all over again. [TechTool Pro] 9.6.2 would not open its main window, while 9.6.1 continues to work fine. … The window isn't minimized; or on some phantom monitor; - it's just not there!
Maybe something like the following will shed light. Run it in AppleScript Editor while TechTool Pro is running and look at the script’s Result. The string "TechTool Pro" might need to be changed. I picked "System Events" in case TechTool Pro isn't scriptable.
AppleScript:
tell application "System Events"
    tell process "TechTool Pro"
        properties of windows
    end tell
end tell
Code via AppleScript -> Activate window of a non-scriptable application - Stack Overflow

Thanks, Simon

I ran this modest variation:

tell application "TechTool Pro 9" to activate
tell
application "System Events"
tell process "TechTool Pro 9"
set george to properties of windows
end tell
end
tell

and unfortunately, george is an empty list - no windows are created.

Nice try tho` thanks

I've deleted as many caches as I can find, along with plists. All to no avail.
By default, Mac apps write the window coordinates to a preference plist. These can be corrupted and the coordinates then point to some off-screen ( i.e. not visible ) location. Trashing the plist is worth a shot. It is typically found at one of two locations:

1. For Sandboxed apps:
Code:
/Users/yourUserID/Library/Containers/com.appVendor.appName/Data/Library/Preferences/com.appVendor.appName.plist
2. Non-sandboxed apps:
Code:
/Users/yourUserID/Library/Preferences/com.appVendor.appName.plist

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you, Brian. Although I'd already deleted the non-sandboxed plist, I'd overlooked the sandboxed possibility. Unfortunately, TechTool Pro is not a sandboxed app, so the file doesn't exist to delete in the first place.

I'm still in the place where version 9.6.1 works fine and 9.6.2 won't open its window.

I'm not particularly anxious about this as I almost ever actually use TTP, preferring other third-party software over it.

(Slightly OT, and FWIW ) I can say however, that during the investigation of this, I discovered Micromat's Drive Scope, which looks to be a strong contender vs SMART Utility... and Drive Scope's main window actually opens!

I have a friend with an interesting problem when inputting new events in the Calendar app on her iPad. Her problem is quoted below from the Message chat we have:

"Basically, when you enter an item into the calendar, it then defaults back to the home screen. It should stay on the calendar in case we want to add other items."

I tried to duplicate her problem but it's not replicated.

How does one correct this problem?

Thank you.

"Basically, when you enter an item into the calendar, it then defaults back to the home screen. It should stay on the calendar in case we want to add other items."
This sounds like Calendar is crashing and dumping your friend back at Springboard (the home screen, or app picker, on iOS.) I'm not sure why it's doing this, but I would look at how the calendar events are being created, manually vs. accepting an event via Mail, and if they're using non-standard characters anywhere in the event.

Both the iOS and desktop calendar apps can misbehave when adding new events if there is a problem with syncing. While I haven't seen that specific behavior, the very first thing I'd do is see if creating an event in a nondefault calendar worked. Next I'd turn off iCloud syncing for the Calendar. In iOS 10 it's under Settings / AppleID / iCloud. Then I'd try signing out of iCloud and back in. The link to sign out is at the bottom of Settings / AppleID. (At least, that's where it is in iOS 10.)

I have a friend with an interesting problem when inputting new events in the Calendar app on her iPad..."Basically, when you enter an item into the calendar, it then defaults back to the home screen. It should stay on the calendar in case we want to add other items."
Next I'd turn off iCloud syncing for the Calendar. In iOS 10 it's under Settings / AppleID / iCloud. Then I'd try signing out of iCloud and back in.
Before doing anything more extensive, has your friend tried simply rebooting the phone? I like to use the force reboot by holding down the power and belly buttons, because reputedly this also does some sort of disk repair, although AFAIK we've never had that confirmed. I've had this kind of reboot actually solve syncing problems in the past.

Before doing anything more extensive, has your friend tried simply rebooting the phone? I like to use the force reboot by holding down the power and belly buttons, because reputedly this also does some sort of disk repair, although AFAIK we've never had that confirmed. I've had this kind of reboot actually solve syncing problems in the past.
I subscribe to an external calendar. Sometimes the iOS calendar stops picking up entries. Force quitting the app does not help. Rebooting the phone fixes the problem.

I recently had a meeting on an Exchange calendar I subscribe to that would not disappear from my iPhone Calendar. I had deleted it on my iMac and it was gone from the Outlook calendar viewed online. Refreshing the calendars in the iOS app and restarting the iPhone did not remedy the situation. Finally I deleted the calendar from the iPhone (unsubscribed) and then re-added it. Problem solved. This is not the first time something similar has happened. It was a meeting invite received via email. I have my desktop Mail preferences set to not add meetings found in email to my calendars but the iPhone does it anyway (that is, as soon as the iPhone fetches mail, these invites will appear and there is no way to stop it as far as I know).

Also let us know if she uses iCloud, Google or some other service for calendar sync.
Hi Scott;

She uses iCloud for syncing between her iPad and iPhone.

For Colleen and Larry: She tried your suggestions but they didn't work. However she will be going to the Apple Store later today for the problem. I asked her to tell me the solution the Apple Genius comes up with.

The university I teach at recently converted from Zimbra to Exchange server ... finally. This allowed me to change my account from IMAP to Exchange ... seems though that I lost a really useful feature. Previously, if I had a note that I wanted to share, I could click the action button, Mail would show up and it would load the note into an e-mail. Now that Apple Mail is turned off (Outlook is the default Mail program), that option no longer is available. When I click "more", though ... it shows Outlook as the mail program and it is ticked, but the box in which the tick resides is not blue ... any ideas what I need to do to get that feature back? Any help would be appreciated.

PS: Is there a way to insert screenshots to show what I mean?

The university I teach at recently converted from Zimbra to Exchange server ... finally. This allowed me to change my account from IMAP to Exchange ... seems though that I lost a really useful feature. Previously, if I had a note that I wanted to share, I could click the action button, Mail would show up and it would load the note into an e-mail. Now that Apple Mail is turned off (Outlook is the default Mail program), that option no longer is available. When I click "more", though ... it shows Outlook as the mail program and it is ticked, but the box in which the tick resides is not blue ... any ideas what I need to do to get that feature back? Any help would be appreciated.

PS: Is there a way to insert screenshots to show what I mean?
Here's what I see when I click the action box:

https://cvws.icloud-content.com/B/AXctCu6nIyK_yZtLxDIYrK8hPV94AVQ6-Qf8ZT2lFhQmA1Flb_DSk7Xt/Pull+down.png?o=Am9uhEjD0EQgjES68RI7_QZgLOfUKmNd6ryXTWnitTMy&v=1&x=3&a=B7ZKjmdVpzKlCZxeFEBwyBfq7VcDA1PjQgEAAANE40I&e=1525318218&k=aeSd6K6ScCTrerjIm8i9HQ&fl=&r=7deab08c-e6f0-4f7e-8151-3afaaca24814-1&ckc=com.apple.clouddocs&ckz=com.apple.CloudDocs&p=26&s=M4VAfyPz1lQiFFW7GOmJFk9-B48&cd=i

Here's what I see when I click "more":

https://cvws.icloud-content.com/B/AShgaDX2Y3UGJOvnX-dth8WcZcs1AeGxVQdC6uNw-LjXtOOmYR4_-1He/Menu+add.png?o=AhZ4tczo20iCAcKdp9D2Z51GyexQH6FdoGR1va1k-aaD&v=1&x=3&a=BxeQvnW5NImquIoazp66VZ2E9aVxA1TjQgEAAANF40I&e=1525318303&k=h5iLwusC70-voM94zIfDVw&fl=&r=216bd4c4-f9e8-4cfd-abdf-ce3218e7f504-1&ckc=com.apple.clouddocs&ckz=com.apple.CloudDocs&p=26&s=vhL48qS9JXJpoLT3-bi1JxkIt4I&cd=i

I have been trying, without success, to diagnose a couple of possibly-but-not-necessarily unrelated video playback problems on a 1st gen 5K iMac.

In my wife's account, when she is watching video in a browser window, the video will periodically hang, but only if the mouse has not passed through the video window recently. That is, it will start playing normally, then after maybe 5-10 seconds it will stall completely (sound will continue playing). If you then move the mouse over the video, it will immediately start playing again, then stall after another 5-10 seconds unless you keep jiggling the mouse.

Once it starts, even quitting and re-opening the browser sometimes doesn't fix it -- only logging out and back in or rebooting will.

This has been happening on and off for quite some time and I have never managed to figure out what's causing it. I've seen it happen in multiple browsers and on multiple websites, including something as basic as YouTube in Safari, which is baffling to me. Stranger still, I have never seen it on my own account on the same machine, which has about fifty times more going on -- I often leave 5-10 apps (including Photoshop and other heavyweight software) open, a dozen Safari windows and tabs, have several menubar items, and have at times tweaked significantly with UI settings, while my wife quits everything after she's done using it, never has more than one browser and Mail open at once, and rarely even both of those, nor has she ever done anything custom or exotic.

Console logs haven't turned up anything obvious -- there are errors and warnings, but nothing incriminating or that only happens when the video is playing, as far as I can interpret. Nothing is using an unusual amount of CPU or RAM. Disabling app nap seemed to extend the period between stalls, but did not fix it and may have been a placebo (and, for that matter, should not be necessary in Safari with HTML5 video on a popular site). The machine has 32GB of RAM, so at least in theory that should not be the problem.

The problem used to be quite frequent and has gotten much less so, but has persisted through multiple full OS version upgrades.

Something probably-unrelated happened last night: video -- whether played in a web browser or with QuickTime player -- was stuttering every couple of seconds only in her account, and logging out of my account (which was not stuttering) fixed it. That implies that something I had open was interfering with GPU optimization of video (maybe not enough free VRAM?), but was also very strange.

I have tried setting my prefs so that I will always stay logged in for 6 hours before the system automatically logs me out, but it is not working. Every time I stop to do something else for an hour or two or three...the system logs me out long before the 6-hour deadline. I think my related prefs are correct:

Screen saver: Never
Security, general tab: Require password after 6 hours
Energy saver: Kill monitor after 1 hour, prevent automatic activity suspension when monitor off; do not suspend hard drive activity; reactivate for network access; activate power nap

Have I missed something? I have had a similar routine for many years. The problem seems to have started fairly recently (High Sierra 10.13.3 or 10.13.4?).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
I have tried setting my prefs so that I will always stay logged in for 6 hours before the system automatically logs me out, but it is not working. Every time I stop to do something else for an hour or two or three...the system logs me out long before the 6-hour deadline....
Security, general tab: Require password after 6 hours
That Requre Password setting seems like a likely culprit.

Last edited:

I have a 2009 Mac Pro running High Sierra with three monitors connected side-by-side. I can't find a way to disable or hide the dock at the bottom of the screen from popping up on either monitor to the side of the main monitor in the middle. I rarely if ever use the dock on either side monitor and having the dock pop up when working near the bottom of the screen is quite the distraction.

Clicking the green button in the upper left corner of the Chrome window in the right monitor works by going "full screen". Doing the same to the Safari window in the left monitor doesn't work as I have two side-by-side Safari windows in that monitor and I need to view both simultaneously.

Either disabling the dock on each side monitor or needing an extra key command to cause the dock to appear in either side monitor would work well. If necessary, I would accept the extra key command to cause the dock to appear in the main, middle monitor, but only if no other way is possible.

Tips and advice relating to this issue requested.

I have a 2009 Mac Pro running High Sierra with three monitors connected side-by-side. I can't find a way to disable or hide the dock at the bottom of the screen from popping up on either monitor to the side of the main monitor in the middle.
The way to disable this behavior is to go to System Preferences > Mission Control and uncheck Displays have separate Spaces. Following a log out/log in cycle, the menu bar and dock will only show on your primary monitor. Alternatively, you could pin the dock to the left or right side of your multi-monitor setup and it will stay there, but that doesn't work when you want the dock on the middle screen. I'm not aware of a way to solve this issue while retaining the other benefits of Displays have separate Spaces.

I know it's not a direct answer to your question, but I loathe having the dock on the bottom. Vertical screen space is usually at a premium — why waste it on something that could easily be elsewhere? I think most people are used to it because that's how Windows locates it by default, and Apple followed suit.

I always put my dock on the left. I'm currently using two monitors, so it only shows up on the left-hand monitor.

The way to disable this behavior is to go to System Preferences > Mission Control and uncheck Displays have separate Spaces. Following a log out/log in cycle, the menu bar and dock will only show on your primary monitor.
I had tried unchecking the "Displays have separate Spaces" trick previously, but it didn't work. What I didn't do, as I had not read to do so, was to log out/in again. Trying it now!

I know it's not a direct answer to your question, but I loathe having the dock on the bottom. Vertical screen space is usually at a premium — why waste it on something that could easily be elsewhere?

I always put my dock on the left. I'm currently using two monitors, so it only shows up on the left-hand monitor.
With one monitor and then two monitors, I always had the dock at the left of the central monitor. Now that I'm at three 27" monitors, the left and right sides of the left and right monitor are simply too far away!

The way to disable this behavior is to go to System Preferences > Mission Control and uncheck Displays have separate Spaces. Following a log out/log in cycle, the menu bar and dock will only show on your primary monitor.
Yup! A log out/in was all that was needed to enable the "no dock in the two side monitors" issue. Thanks!

Update: Unfortunately, unchecking "Displays have separate spaces" also got rid of the menu bars on both side monitors. I'll need to figure out which is more painful: pop-up docks or no menu bars.

Isn't there some sort of dock utility that will allow me to control which monitors have or don't have docks?

Seems like a reasonably common problem has struck me... my Facebook account in "Internet Accounts", which places events in the Calendar and adds contacts, both very useful things, cannot be logged in! Fine via Safari on the website, but Internet Accounts keeps rejecting the Password... have deleted and re-added but still no good... anyone have any ideas please??

... my Facebook account in "Internet Accounts", which places events in the Calendar and adds contacts, both very useful things, cannot be logged in! ...
Not an authoritative answer but I had a similar experience and cured it. Open Keychain Access, it's in the Utilities folder. Search both the login and Local items keychains for facebook and see if there's a password stored for it. If so, delete it. Restart your Mac.

Recent versions of macOS have keychain issues. I've found it necessary in some cases to restart after deleting/modifying items. I assume that the items were cached but they weren't "un-cached" so they persisted in their original state.

I have tried setting my prefs so that I will always stay logged in for 6 hours before the system automatically logs me out, but it is not working. Every time I stop to do something else for an hour or two or three...the system logs me out long before the 6-hour deadline....
I have solved my problem. It turns out that there is another logout option in Prefs > Security > General. You must unlock access and click on "Advanced" at the bottom of the pref window. Then you will see a check box "Disconnect after xxx minutes of inactivity". If that option has a time entered and is checked, and that time is shorter the the previously selected "Require password after xxxx", the advanced option (which requires a password to access) will override the general option (which does not require a password). In my case, I unchecked the "hidden" protected option and now all is good.

Thanks Sam. Unfortunately, after every Facebook reference in the keychain has been removed, and a restart, still same error message in Internet Accounts (Unable to Verify Account Name or Password). This is very annoying... will keep hunting!

Thanks Sam. Unfortunately, after every Facebook reference in the keychain has been removed, and a restart, still same error message in Internet Accounts (Unable to Verify Account Name or Password). This is very annoying... will keep hunting!
Chris: try running OnyX. First click Maintenance. First Repair Permissions. Then do Rebuilding. I check everything except Appearance of folders's contents, Mail's mailboxes, and Disk positions on the desktop.

The click Cleaning and do them from right-to-left: Misc, Fonts, Internet, User, and finally System. I prefer to check everything in Misc, Fonts, User, and System. In Internet I leave Bookmark icons, Form values, and Cookies unchecked.

As long as you don't dawdle between operations, you can do the Maintenance and the cleaning without restarting. But as soon as the System cleaning is finished you need to Restart.

Your Mac will take a lot longer to startup as it rebuilds everything. I'd wait at least 10 minutes before trying to fix Facebook again.

I know many have issues off and on with the badge never going away, or having the wrong number in it. On my MacBook Pro 2017 on High Sierra, my Messages dock icon never ever shows the notification badge :-(.

It's toggled on in Notifications in System Preferences. I do get the temporary banner notifications each time a message arrives, and when I actually open Messages, I see each of the new message threads with the proper blue dot. The usual advice is to kill Messages and restart the Dock. Didn't help. I'm logged into the same Apple ID on my iPhone, and its Messages app is set to include my MacBook Pro. I've logged out of my Apple ID on the MacBook Pro and back in, disabled and enabled my iCloud account, and deleted the Messages plist file from /Library/Preferences while Messages was closed.

Nothing has helped. I hear the assigned new message sound, I see the banner notification, but no badge, ever, on the Dock icon. I've deleted it from the Dock and started Messages direct from /Applications. Nothing.

I haven't moved my messaging to iCloud yet, as this started happening a short time ago and I want to resolve it first. Hmmm, this may have started right around the time Apple announced the messages in iCloud feature...

Ideas? Thank you.

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts