MacInTouch Amazon link...

password managers (and 2FA)

A quick note to users of 1Password: 1Password 7 has just been released, and as with the previous version, AgileBits is going all-out on trying to move people over to a subscription model. As such, there is essentially zero information posted on their website about stand-alone licenses and upgrades. But they do exist; albeit with no discount. I found this quote on their blog:
"Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many Macs as you have. 1Password 7 for Windows will be released next week as a separate purchase."

A quick note to users of 1Password: 1Password 7 has just been released, and as with the previous version, AgileBits is going all-out on trying to move people over to a subscription model. As such, there is essentially zero information posted on their website about stand-alone licenses and upgrades. But they do exist; albeit with no discount. I found this quote on their blog:
If you download the demo version, when you launch 1Password, you are presented with a window about subscribing, which includes a link to a single user license option, for $49.99 (which is a launch special, discounted price).

Subscribing gives you "multi-factor security, web access, data loss protection and family accounts." I don't need those, and I'm happy to pay the $50 for the standalone version. And I appreciate that Agile Bits is willing to offer both options, and I don't think they're trying to pull anything over on folks.

1Password startup screen

I have been using 1Password for over a year. Very happy with it. Paying the subscription, which permits me to run it on all my devices (Macs, PCs, Phone, even my Linux Mint machine (as a Google Chrome extension). I think it's a bargain.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
I bought 1Password a while back but haven't used it personally. I really need something that works without any problems or confusion for several people I support who are older and not technical in the slightest, but I'm concerned about frequent updates potentially causing confusion and problems, as Apple's iOS updates have done to these people. So my question is: Could I install 1Password on a variety of iOS devices and Macs of various vintages as a "set and forget" solution, or will we run into system management issues due to the different OS and hardware versions and frequent updates by Apple and AgileBits?

Unfortunately it seems that direct download is the only way to get the standalone licence. I'd really prefer to manage my software using the Mac App Store. I've asked if they plan to do a MAS version that offers a standalone licence as an in-app purchase, but they don't seem to have an answer.

I don't want to use their cloud, so don't see why I should have to pay a subscription. I'm more than willing to pay for the standalone licence, as I have done through the last couple of versions now.

The iOS version does have in-app standalone [aka Pro] licence, so I'm hopeful they will add to the Mac version from the Mac App Store.

I bought 1Password a while back but haven't used it personally. I really need something that works without any problems or confusion for several people I support who are older and not technical in the slightest, but I'm concerned about frequent updates potentially causing confusion and problems, as Apple's iOS updates have done to these people. So my question is: Could I install 1Password on a variety of iOS devices and Macs of various vintages as a "set and forget" solution, or will we run into system management issues due to the different OS and hardware versions and frequent updates by Apple and AgileBits?
I cannot definitively comment about iOS (as I use Android) but I can say that on all my computers, when an update is available for 1Password, I'm informed with some sort of notification and, when I approve the update, it just happens. There's no need to separately travel to a website where one must download the update, find it in the Downloads folder, and then double-click to launch it. Just be sure your clients know their admin password. On Android (and, presumably, iOS), any update is automatically applied. My phone is set to apply updates when it's plugged into power; the timing of updates on iOS someone else can address.

I upgraded to v7.0 yesterday, and my initial experience (running on Sierra) was very poor: while trying to do data entry, fields constantly and unpredictably lost focus, data flickered in and out of view, and the application crashed after about 2 minutes of use, losing the data that I'd just entered.

Since then, it seems to have stabilized. I haven't had any more crashes, and everything behaves as it should. Overall, v7.0 seems fine: no really terrible reversions, no giant leaps forward. I like the way it integrates haveibeenpwned.com to warn you about exposed passwords/email addresses; I discovered a surprisingly large number of my own passwords were apparently vulnerable.

I don't know what caused v7.0's initial flakiness on my machine, but if it happens to you, don't panic. Give it a little time, and it may get over it.

Unfortunately it seems that direct download is the only way to get the standalone licence. I'd really prefer to manage my software using the Mac App Store. I've asked if they plan to do a MAS version that offers a standalone licence as an in-app purchase, but they don't seem to have an answer.
According to this item on the Agile Blog, an App Store version is coming, but it's subscription-only:

"If we were to sell standalone licenses in the Mac App Store we would have these same problems all over again [the company's last version sold in the App Store] when 1Password 8 is released. Ultimately this is why we decided not to sell licenses through the Mac App Store.

"While still tough, this decision was easier to make as people looking for licenses will be able to download 1Password 7 directly from our website. I know this isn’t ideal for those who love the Mac App Store and prefer to purchase standalone licenses and I apologize for that. But overall I believe this was the correct decision to make."

Getting 1Password Ready for the Mac App Store

I'm still waiting for a well documented process for migrating a set of macOS and iOS devices from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7. So far, my impression from the 1Password web site is that 1Password 7 is wonderful and solves almost all the world's problems. But there is no clear step-by-step explanation of how to migrate away from Dropbox sync or if migration away from Dropbox is really necessary. What are the consequences of continuation of the current configuration and simply upgrading to 1Password 7?

In principle, I don't object to a subscription model for 1Password. I just object to the vague handwaving I perceive on migration issues and best practices for the same. FAQs are wonderful for individual hints, but the gestalt is missing.

After several happy years of working with 1Password, future compromising of function and reliability because of ignorance is to be avoided. Guidance is solicited.

I cannot definitively comment about iOS (as I use Android) but I can say that on all my computers, when an update is available for 1Password, I'm informed with some sort of notification and, when I approve the update, it just happens. There's no need to separately travel to a website where one must download the update, find it in the Downloads folder, and then double-click to launch it. Just be sure your clients know their admin password. On Android (and, presumably, iOS), any update is automatically applied. My phone is set to apply updates when it's plugged into power; the timing of updates on iOS someone else can address.
I have had minimal problems with the iOS versions of 1Password, but not so on the Mac side. I have the App Store version and, first, there is the issue of multiple "program must not be running" messages you get (not AgileBits' fault) when upgrading.

I've also had multiple issues with the main application not being able to establish connection to the 1Password Mini process. This seems to sort itself out after a couple of relaunches. I also ended up excluding 1Password from any Carbon Copy Cloner backups (and deleting all app copies from the clone), as this appears have been causing app crashes and was perhaps related to the "mini" connection problems.

Finally, I use iCloud syncing, and at some point automatic (background) syncing stopped working. It will still sync when the app is unlocked or launched, so it is not a big deal in practice. AgileBits support tells me this doesn't happen if you have subscription licensing and use their "vaults" (their own mechanism) for syncing.

I'm still waiting for a well documented process for migrating a set of macOS and iOS devices from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7. So far, my impression from the 1Password web site is that 1Password 7 is wonderful and solves almost all the world's problems. But there is no clear step-by-step explanation of how to migrate away from Dropbox sync or if migration away from Dropbox is really necessary. What are the consequences of continuation of the current configuration and simply upgrading to 1Password 7?
I just upgraded yesterday to the single-user license version, and so far, all has been fine. 1Password 7 found my Dropbox-based sync file, and it's been coexisting well with the older iOS versions installed on my iPhone and iPad.

The only active problems I ever had with 1Password were when I used iCloud sync instead of Dropbox (two or three versions ago). The sync didn't seem to work reliably across devices, and I ended up going back to Dropbox and haven't had any problems since.

The solid nature of the Dropbox sync (for me) was an added reason to not go with the subscription offering and 1Password's own syncing services.

In the previous MacInTouch forums there was a thread where someone posted a challenge: find the links on the AgileBits site to get the stand-alone 1Password license. Can anyone find that thread? My Google-fu is failing me.

So far, I'm not impressed with Watchtower and haveibeenpwned.com: 1Password 7 claims that even stored passwords used for logins on my own LAN have been compromised in a data breach.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
In the previous MacInTouch forums there was a thread where someone posted a challenge: find the links on the AgileBits site to get the stand-alone 1Password license. Can anyone find that thread? My Google-fu is failing me.
I'm not sure this is the exact post you remember, but the earlier thread on our old forum platform is here: password management.

(One tip for finding things: virtually all the content on MacInTouch is summarized in daily updates on the MacInTouch Home Page that then get archived on the Recent News and finally Older News pages, so it can be helpful to just do a "Find" on those pages for things you're seeking.)

Never mind, I found it. The challenge was posted by ScottBever on 12/22/2017.

It looks like AgileBits changed both of the old pages we found so that now they just redirect to the subscription sales.

For example, last year https://agilebits.com/store let you buy a 1Password 6 license for $64.99. See it here, which is the capture from 12/28/2017.

As of April, the same URL just redirects to https://1password.com/sign-up/. Same for http://agilebits.com/home, which used to link to the store. Maybe someone at AgileBits used ScottBever's challenge as site loopholes to be closed.

According to this item on the Agile Blog, an App Store version is coming, but it's subscription-only
It is available now and is subscription only. Their blog post didn't really justify the lack of a standalone license for the App Store version, in my opinion. The upgrade process for 1Password is one of my main gripes about the app. It wasn't so long ago that I switched to the App Store version because that seemed the better choice. I would much prefer to have the new version be available for downloading and management in the App Store (and with a choice of licensing).

It is available now and is subscription only. Their blog post didn't really justify the lack of a standalone license for the App Store version, in my opinion. The upgrade process for 1Password is one of my main gripes about the app. It wasn't so long ago that I switched to the App Store version because that seemed the better choice. I would much prefer to have the new version be available for downloading and management in the App Store (and with a choice of licensing).
Knowing the issues developer friends of mine have had with the App Store over the years—update issues, lack of demo versions, Apple's large cut of sales, capricious decisions on what gets promoted or not, etc.—I'm surprised anyone does publish their apps there. Of course, this is balanced with the overarching fact that users want the ease of updates (and without serial number hassles) that you describe. (I definitely love these aspects of the App Store, especially when setting up a new system.)

All in all, it's one more reason why I never wanted to be a developer, especially in the Apple ecosystem. It's hard to win enough to keep yourself in business, without running into trouble somewhere along the way.

It looks like there's a lot to like in 1Password 7 for the Mac, but I think I'm going to hold off a few weeks. If I read things correctly, 1Password 7 for the Mac changes the file format of 1Password vaults (from Agile Keychain format to OPVault format.)

While OPVault seems like a superior format, it also means that 1Password7 has to migrate/convert 1Password 6 (and earlier) vault data from the old format to the new one -- always a tricky process, particularly with extremely precious data. There are a number of postings on the AgileBits 1Password for Mac forums over the last few days that seem to indicate that there are a few problems with the conversion process.

In particular, 1Password 7 converts any folders (and nested folders) you have created in your 1Password 6 vault into nested tags. (They are displayed similarly to the way folders are under 1Password 7.) I've seen a number of postings complaining that 1Password 7 did not convert their folders over correctly (e.g., this one.)

I use folders extensively in my 1Password vault; trying to reconstruct folder organization after a conversion screw-up is something I definitely want to avoid.

I can happily wait for AgileBits to fix any conversion problems before upgrading to 1Password 7. The new features are nice, but aren't worth piecing things together after a conversion screw-up.

Knowing the issues developer friends of mine have had with the App Store over the years—update issues, lack of demo versions, Apple's large cut of sales, capricious decisions on what gets promoted or not, etc.—I'm surprised anyone does publish their apps there. Of course, this is balanced with the overarching fact that users want the ease of updates (and without serial number hassles) that you describe. (I definitely love these aspects of the App Store, especially when setting up a new system.)

All in all, it's one more reason why I never wanted to be a developer, especially in the Apple ecosystem. It's hard to win enough to keep yourself in business, without running into trouble somewhere along the way.
Never mind, I found it. The challenge was posted by ScottBever on 12/22/2017.

It looks like AgileBits changed both of the old pages we found so that now they just redirect to the subscription sales.

For example, last year https://agilebits.com/store let you buy a 1Password 6 license for $64.99. See it here, which is the capture from 12/28/2017.

As of April, the same URL just redirects to https://1password.com/sign-up/. Same for http://agilebits.com/home, which used to link to the store. Maybe someone at AgileBits used ScottBever's challenge as site loopholes to be closed.
Here's the link to the stand-alone download:
<https://app-updates.agilebits.com/download/OPM7>

From the webpage linked by Christopher Moss (thank you Christopher, I too have searched long & hard for this link) <https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/05/22/1password-7-for-mac-the-best-ever/
"Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many Macs as you have. 1Password 7 for Windows will be released next week as a separate purchase."

I know people have complained about the continued availability of 1Password (the standalone application) on this forum, but as a registered user of 1Password since 2008, I have always received emails from the developer sent to my registered address about upgrades, pricing and special offers. This was true with 1Password version 7. In fact, the developer invited all registered users to buy and try the beta a few months ago for the reduced price of $39.95. At the time, he indicated the release price would be higher. Indeed, the release price is higher, but I think it's a fair price for such a great product and there are discounts for existing users.

I highly recommend 1Password to friends and family. It works for me and it has been incredibly reliable. There's a constant stream of free updates and the developer seems committed to making it a best-in-class secure product. It's possible the developer might be preferentially guiding new users to the subscription model, but there's no reason to suspect that the standalone version and upgrades are being "hidden" in any way.

[...] as a registered user of 1Password since 2008, I have always received emails from the developer sent to my registered address about upgrades, pricing and special offers. [...]
As a registered user of 1Password since 2012, I have never received any emails from the developer about upgrades, pricing, or special offers. Last year I received an email from Dave Teare about Watchtower and Cloudflare, but that's it. I suspect the difference may be that I bought the app from the App Store.

I used 1Password for years as a stand-alone product with syncing via iCloud. I was happy with the product. I "upgraded" to the subscription version and started having problems with syncing. Eventually, I dropped the program, cancelled the service and switched to the open source program KeypassXC.

I do not use auto-fill with KeyPass XC, so I cut and paste the password into the sites I visit. I am not in a rush, so it is not a problem to take a second and use the copy-paste commands.

I sync between one Linux and three Mac machines via iCloud. It works fine.

KeypassXC creates solid, long and difficult passwords. Another option to consider. I like supporting open-source programs and find that KeyPassXC is every bit as good as the commercial programs for my needs.

I'm using the 1Password family subscription. The upgrade to v7 was seamless, but you have to go to the Mac App Store and look for it. It's not automatic from v6 to v7. After download, I was happy to find that the app didn't need any additional setup. Just enter the main password like usual. And the browser extensions didn't need any manual updating.

Also, I have the Eero v1 wireless router. After installing it, they started pushing Eero Plus for $10/mo. At first I balked. But then I realized that it includes a 1Password family subscription plus a VPN and Malwarebytes. It's easy to switch the 1Password iTunes subscription over to Eero Plus. After enabling Eero Plus you get a 1Password code. You just cancel the iTunes subscription and send the code to 1Password customer support, and you get converted without interruption. So far - so good.

For me, the 1Password subscription is great. Sharing passwords with the family is very convenient. I've never had any issues syncing data across devices or family members. The difficult part is getting my wife to use it. She doesn't understand how dangerous it is to use the same weak password on multiple sites and finds it difficult to memorize a single long secure password. But I'm working on her.

I know people have complained about the continued availability of 1Password (the standalone application) on this forum
[..]
It's possible the developer might be preferentially guiding new users to the subscription model, but there's no reason to suspect that the standalone version and upgrades are being "hidden" in any way.
I totally understand that there is a standalone version available, hidden or not. And I have read the blog posts justifying their position, and the discussion forum about this topic.

None of that helps me.

I use Keychain as my auto-fill source, so I don't use 1Password every day or even every week. And I don't want my passwords stored in their cloud. So I don't want to pay a subscription; I *do* want to pay for a standalone licence.

But at the same time, I really like managing my software using the Mac App Store, as others have mentioned. Their argument for not doing that is it's 'too hard' for their customers to find updated versions in the Mac App Store.

Their blog and comments repeatedly say they want to give us choice to have a subscription or license. But at the same time they have taken away our choice to use Mac App Store and license.

I have no problem if they want to 'encourage' subscriptions. I'm not asking for standalone licence to be the default, or even easy. Just make it possible for those who want it via the Mac App Store.

I've been using 1Password from the beginning. In general, it works well.

The biggest problem I've had is that for some reason the copy on my girlfriend's machine will not upgrade from version 5 to 6. Even trying to follow their tech support's direction hasn't brought any joy. For now, I just ignore it, since she mostly writes her passwords on a expanding PostIt. (It's not like I haven't suggested she do something else.)

My big problem with 1Password is that it has no capability to allow backup/sync between computers, in my case between desktop and my MacBook Air. I foolishly tried exporting from my desktop and importing onto the Air. That was a big mistake; It took a long time to zap the duplicates. (There is no provision to search for duplicate entries, which is lame.)

So, I have a question: I have not used Dropbox because of privacy/security concerns. Is it reasonably usable, and if so, can one use it to share 1Password data across computers?

The challenge of creating and maintaining strong passwords that are not duplicated anywhere —and meet whatever the site/software demands—is too complex to be done without software intervention. I know far too many users who have one relatively ok password that's used on everything from sudo to Facebook. Any thoughts on how to sync this stuff between computers is appreciated.

So, I have a question: I have not used Dropbox because of privacy/security concerns. Is it reasonably usable, and if so, can one use it to share 1Password data across computers
I have been using 1Password for almost as long, and I use the Dropbox sync feature (around since 4, I believe) to sync between all my devices—iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone. It has worked reliably and simply for me. Sync just happens.

I did have problems when testing 1Password's iCloud sync feature a rev or two ago, and went back to Dropbox. It's been clean ever since, and while 1Password does keep backups of your encrypted passwords file, they're also protected via my main system backup.

If you don't want to use Dropbox or another third-party cloud storage service, you could probably just copy the 1Password data file from your desktop to your Air on a semi-regular basis. Before sync, I did that, but ended up with so many differences that I tried using import/export, but the results were similar to your 'too many duplicates' problem—and I know I lost some passwords that slipped through the cracks.

I've been using 1Password for probably 10 years and just upgraded to version7 (which was just updated to 7.0.1). It does, indeed, convert the vault formats to OPVault and allows you to relocate them (convenient for me, since I prefer to put the vaults in a consistent location). So for this upgrade, if syncing between devices, you'll need to go to each device and locate the vault with the .opvault suffix to re-enable sync.

I use 1Password to store everything. Logins, credit card info, bank account info, passport, TSA, and travel info, software licenses, driver's licenses, social security cards, membership & loyalty program and cards (even my library card. :-) Where necessary, the vault also includes receipts in email, jpg, or PDF form and photos in PNG or JPG (like credit cards, driver's licenses, etc) as attachments. I also take screenshots when setting up recovery question for accounts and store those, so I can remember what my answers were (which may not be accurate to my life, to throw off any person attempting to hack the account).

I use multiple vaults to isolate information to need to know (which means I pay for the upgraded versions on iOS). I have one for personal, one for my business-related info, and one for information related to my father. All are stored in Dropbox. My personal vault is shared via Dropbox with my wife; the 2nd, also shared with my wife, was intended to be accessed from one computer at my business by my manager (with stored credit card info provided us by customers for preauthorized charges); and the 3rd, with information (passwords, accounts, medical ID and other information) related to my pushing-90 father, is shared with my brother (and in my father's iPad, in case he needs it). All vaults are synced through Dropbox via shared link replicated in their own Dropbox(es).

So far, it has worked flawlessly on macOS, Windows, and iOS (don't have any Android devices). Perhaps too much so, because kids call me to ask for their passwords and other information etc., which I've archived on their behalf. "Let's ask Dad. He'll know." Since the information i salso well encrypted everywhere, I'm not afraid of anyone gaining access via a computer or hacking Dropbox.

Usual disclaimer: your milage may vary.

... Finally, I use iCloud syncing and at some point automatic (background) syncing stopped working. It will still sync when the app is unlocked or launched so it is not a big deal in practice. AgileBits support tells me this doesn't happen if you have subscription licensing and use their "vaults" (their own mechanism) for syncing.
I have always used the AgileBits "vault" syncing and never had an issue that couldn't be solved with a quick email to their tech support and subsequent (fast) response. Haven't had any sort of issue in quite a while.

I've been using 1Password from the beginning. In general, it works well. My big problem with 1Password is that it has no capability to allow backup/sync between computers, in my case between desktop and my MacBook Air. I foolishly tried exporting from my desktop and importing onto the Air. That was a big mistake; It took a long time to zap the duplicates. (There is no provision to search for duplicate entries, which is lame.) So, I have a question: I have not used Dropbox because of privacy/security concerns. Is it reasonably usable, and if so, can one use it to share 1Password data across computers?
You can do this manually, without Dropbox. I do it all the time.

Open 1Password > Preferences > Backup > Backup Now > Show Files

At this point, grab that backup you just did, put it on your desktop. You could use Airdrop to bring it to your other computer, or a thumb drive. Too big to email.

Put on desktop of second computer.

Open 1Password on the second computer.

Then Preferences > Backup > Find Backup > select your imported backup > Add Backup

This will add it to the list of Backups shown in Preferences/Backup.

Choose that imported Backup and then Choose 'Restore'. 1Password will be restored from that backup, and then close.

Open 1Password.

Your 1Password will be identical to the one on the other computer.

Note we are not exporting/importing items, as you probably did to get all those duplicates. We are importing/restoring from Backups.
Pretty simple. No Cloud, no Dropbox

Apologies if I’ve missed a previous answer to this question, but what’s wrong with the Keychain? I’ve used it for years, have slowly grown into iCloud Keychain and, in combination with Password Assistant (on Sierra), find it good enough for my needs.

Apologies if I’ve missed a previous answer to this question, but what’s wrong with the Keychain? I’ve used it for years, have slowly grown into iCloud Keychain and, in combination with Password Assistant (on Sierra), find it good enough for my needs.
Nothing wrong with iCloud keychain. I use it all the time. But 1Password does more - like family vault sharing, software license codes, secure notes, 2 factor authentication, etc.

I used 1Password for years as a stand-alone product with syncing via iCloud. I was happy with the product. I "upgraded" to the subscription version and started having problems with syncing. Eventually, I dropped the program, cancelled the service and switched to the open source program KeypassXC.

I do not use auto-fill with KeyPass XC, so I cut and paste the password into the sites I visit. I am not in a rush, so it is not a problem to take a second and use the copy-paste commands.

I sync between one Linux and three Mac machines via iCloud. It works fine.

KeypassXC creates solid, long and difficult passwords. Another option to consider. I like supporting open-source programs and find that KeyPassXC is every bit as good as the commercial programs for my needs.
Except that it doesn't support IOS.

You can do this manually, without Dropbox. I do it all the time. [...] Your 1Password will be identical to the one on the other computer. Note we are not exporting/importing items, as you probably did to get all those duplicates. We are importing/restoring from Backups. Pretty simple. No Cloud, no Dropbox.
Bill, are you also keeping an iOS device in sync manually without Dropbox, iCloud, or the like? If yes, then please detail your process!

A further comment on 1PW7, this time in relation to Vivaldi. I rather like Vivaldi as it allows me to work with sites that would only work otherwise with Chrome, but without the added Googly Goodness. The 1Password extension has some issues filling in logins, though and there is a dialog on opening the browser that says it won't be able to fill in logins. You can click on 'Help' and go to this page which explains a workaround:
https://support.1password.com/kb/201707/

I had followed the procedure and 1PW6 and Vivaldi got along fine. However, it all came back again with 1PW7 and the fix described was still in place and not working. AgileBits support soon worked it out, though - there was a time when the needed .json file was to be placed in ~/Library/Application Support/Vivaldi/NativeMessagingHosts and not in ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts and I had both present. Simply deleting the first of those NativeMessagingHosts folders allowed the 1PW7 browser extension to interact successfully with Vivaldi again.

I've been a long time user of 1Password but hesitate to update to 1P7 because I'll have to upgrade my OS to Sierra. Are there any advantages people are finding with the 1P7 standalone purchase (not the subscription) compared to 1Password 6?

I know the subscription has additional features the standalone does not.

I've been a long time user of 1Password but hesitate to update to 1P7 because I'll have to upgrade my OS to Sierra. Are there any advantages people are finding with the 1P7 standalone purchase (not the subscription) compared to 1Password 6?

I know the subscription has additional features the standalone does not.
I haven't found much in 1Password 7's standalone version that is a huge improvement over version 6; the old version certainly wasn't causing me any problems. (I don't need the extra features that the subscription option offers.)

The UI is a bit cleaner, especially with 1Password Mini, but I would think you could keep on using the older version until you needed to upgrade.

If you don't want to use Dropbox or another third-party cloud storage service, you could probably just copy the 1Password data file from your desktop to your Air on a semi-regular basis.
When needed, I use ChronoSync to copy the contents of
~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data
from my Mac Pro to my Air. I have it set up as a one-way sync, so there are no issues with merging, duplicates, etc. On the very rare occasions when I make an entry or edit on the Air, I manually make that change in the master on my Pro. Works well for me.

Bill, are you also keeping an iOS device in sync manually without Dropbox, iCloud, or the like? If yes, then please detail your process!
I use the WLAN sync available on 1Password. No iCloud, Dropbox, just your own local network.

Easyish to set up, as I recall, as it is a process set up by 1Password. Open 1Password on your Mac. In preferences, choose WLAN Server, check the 'Run WLAN...' server. There is a code there that you will need to enter onto your iDevice. Choose the vaults you want to sync.

Keep 1Password open on your computer. Open 1Password on your iDevice. In preferences > Sync, follow the steps. This is where you will need to add that code (once). The actual sync occurs fairly rapidly, depending on the amount; after the first I think it does only incremental syncs, but that is a guess. 1Password will indicate how long it has been since the last sync.

You will need to keep 1Password open on both the Mac and the iDevice for this to work. And, you can only sync one iDevice at a time. You can do more than one if you do them sequentially. So open 1Password on the iDevice you want to sync, and close it once the sync is done; then open 1Password on the next victim.... Between the iPhones and such, we have six iDevices, but I can sync them all, as long as I do them one at a time.

As I said, doesn't take long. Older devices are slower. I set a reminder on my calendar to do this every few weeks, as I am no longer adding a zillion things to 1Password all the time (like I did in the past...).

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts