I've been "texting" to phones from Apple Mail for a year or two, but only to family and people I know, and if I know who their carriers are, because the formatting of the emailed text address is different for each carrier.I could have sworn that replying from phone via SMS to SMS sent via email got emailed back, so I tested it (Consumer Cellular/ATT), and it works:
Also successful was text and reply to an Android device.
- Sent email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Received SMS at number
- Replied from number via iOS Messages app.
- Received reply at original email address.
Is it possible replies are going into a spam bucket?
Here are some examples:
- AT&T: email@example.com
- Qwest: firstname.lastname@example.org
- T-Mobile: email@example.com
- Verizon: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sprint: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
When the recipient replies, I delete any subject line that may have been added and delete the history of the email before I reply back. This seems to work fine for multiple messages back and forth.