MacInTouch Amazon link...

QuickTime

I have over 21,000 QuickTime videos stored a file server. (I own and operate a film/video archive.) I have used and relied on QuickTime 7 for over 15 years and currently use it on a 2018 Mac Mini running Mojave. A few days ago, I noticed QuickTime 7 has started to self-quit after some heavy use, and I get the bug report screen. I don’t think QuickTime 7 ever crashed before. There is also one new problem I have seen. Sometimes, video files (2880x2160 Apple ProRes 422HQ) will play back with flickering yellow frames. QuickTime X plays them back just fine. Something in the OS has changed - wish I knew what it was.

I have over 21,000 QuickTime videos stored a file server. (I own and operate a film/video archive.) I have used and relied on QuickTime 7 for over 15 years and currently use it on a 2018 Mac Mini running Mojave. A few days ago, I noticed QuickTime 7 has started to self-quit after some heavy use, and I get the bug report screen....
I, too, have had Quicktime 7 Pro quit on me during longer editing sessions while using my 2012 MacBook Pro 9,1 with Mojave installed as the OS. However, QT 7 Pro runs perfectly all the time on my 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 with Mojave installed as the OS. So, what is wrong here?

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
I, too, have had Quicktime 7 Pro quit on me during longer editing sessions while using my 2012 MacBook Pro 9,1 with Mojave installed as the OS. However, QT 7 Pro runs perfectly all the time on my 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 with Mojave installed as the OS. So, what is wrong here?
Different video drivers? Apple's "Metal" graphics software?

An iPhone can be used as a iSight Camera. Plug in an iPhone to your Mac, open QT Player, and choose new recording. Next to the Record button is a down arrow that will let you choose the iSight camera you want to use. Choose the iPhone. In the Signature collection section of Preview choose camera. An image from your iPhone "iSight" camera should be visible.
Finally had time to try this and it didn't work for me.

Quicktime Player 7.6.6.

Selecting "New Movie Recording" generates an error message saying there is no recording device available. I can see the recording screen underneath the error message and there is no down arrow visible.

Selecting "New Audio Recording" does not generate the error message, but there is no down arrow visible either.

iPhone 7+ is connected to 2009 Mac Pro via Lightning/USB cable and is on and unlocked.

Any advice on how to move forward from here would be appreciated.

Finally had time to try this and it didn't work for me.
Quicktime Player 7.6.6.
Selecting "New Movie Recording" generates an error message saying there is no recording device available. I can see the recording screen underneath the error message and there is no down arrow visible.
Are you able to run Mojave on your Mac? If not, you won't be able to use your iPhone as an iSight camera. Also the Quicktime player needed is version 10.5. Also your iPhone needs the latest iOS version installed.

Hope this helps.

Are you able to run Mojave on your Mac? If not, you won't be able to use your iPhone as an iSight camera. Also the Quicktime player needed is version 10.5. Also your iPhone needs the latest iOS version installed.
Yup, I'm running Mojave on my Mac Pro 2009, firmware upgraded from 4,1 to 5,1. I'm also running the latest iOS on my iPhone 7+. I do not have Quicktime Player 10.5, so that must be the problem.

Upon further thought, I didn't think Quicktime ever went beyond 7.x. Where did you get version 10.5?

On my machine, QuickTime Player 10.5 was installed (again?) in Applications with the Mojave upgrade. QuickTime Player 7 was left untouched in Applications/Utilities.

Yup, I'm running Mojave on my Mac Pro 2009, firmware upgraded from 4,1 to 5,1. I'm also running the latest iOS on my iPhone 7+. I do not have Quicktime Player 10.5, so that must be the problem. Upon further thought, I didn't think Quicktime ever went beyond 7.x. Where did you get version 10.5?
Greetings, Ladd; QuickTime version 10.5 is part of the macOS Mojave installation. I concur with Ronald above in his post. You should find it in the Applications folder. Hope this helps.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
An iPhone can be used as a iSight Camera. Plug in an iPhone to your Mac, open QuickTime Player, and choose new recording. Next to the Record button is a down arrow that will let you choose the iSight camera you want to use. Choose the iPhone. In the Signature collection section of Preview choose camera. An image from your iPhone "iSight" camera should be visible.
It also works in High Sierra (tested) and, I think, Sierra (and possibly earlier). I can't find a reference as to when this feature first became available.
I just tried this on macOS SIerra. It was confusing, I had to jump through hoops, and I never managed to get a signature captured in Preview.

In QuickTime Player 10.4 there are File menu items for New Movie Recording, New Audio Recording and New Screen Recording.

If I choose New Movie Recording, I get a window with a disabled camera icon, but there is a pop-up menu next to a Record button that lets me choose an iPhone connected via USB, whereupon the window in QuickTime Player shows the iPhone screen, not a camera image. (I can also choose the iPhone microphone or a different audio source.)

If I then open the Camera app on the iPhone, I still see the iPhone screen in the Mac window, which now displays the Camera app.

If I click the Record button in QuickTime Player on the Mac, it records a movie of whatever is happening on the iPhone screen (along with audio).

Opening Preview on the Mac while QuickTime Player is still connected to the iPhone, there is a File menu item, Import from iPhone (that stupidly tells me to unlock the iPhone that's already unlocked), which offers to import images from the Camera Roll to whatever folder I select. (This might be Image Capture in action.)

Preview also has a menu pathway, Tools > Annotate > Signature > Manage Signatures, that opens a window with tabs for Trackpad or Camera and a button, "Click Here to Begin."

I choose the Camera tab and get a black screen with a blue line, and nothing I try at this point leads to any image or signature capture.

Perhaps Preview is confused by the fact that this is a MacBook Pro in clamshell mode with the laptop's own camera disabled, or maybe things are different in Mojave. I have no idea....

Maybe you could describe a procedure that works?

I just tried this on macOS SIerra. It was confusing, I had to jump through hoops, and I never managed to get a signature captured in Preview.

In QuickTime Player 10.4 there are File menu items for New Movie Recording, New Audio Recording and New Screen Recording.

If I choose New Movie Recording, I get a window with a disabled camera icon, but there is a pop-up menu next to a Record button that lets me choose an iPhone connected via USB, whereupon the window in QuickTime Player shows the iPhone screen, not a camera image. (I can also choose the iPhone microphone or a different audio source.)

If I then open the Camera app on the iPhone, I still see the iPhone screen in the Mac window, which now displays the Camera app.

If I click the Record button in QuickTime Player on the Mac, it records a movie of whatever is happening on the iPhone screen (along with audio).

Opening Preview on the Mac while QuickTime Player is still connected to the iPhone, there is a File menu item, Import from iPhone (that stupidly tells me to unlock the iPhone that's already unlocked), which offers to import images from the Camera Roll to whatever folder I select. (This might be Image Capture in action.)

Preview also has a menu pathway, Tools > Annotate > Signature > Manage Signatures, that opens a window with tabs for Trackpad or Camera and a button, "Click Here to Begin."

I choose the Camera tab and get a black screen with a blue line, and nothing I try at this point leads to any image or signature capture.

Perhaps Preview is confused by the fact that this is a MacBook Pro in clamshell mode with the laptop's own camera disabled, or maybe things are different in Mojave. I have no idea....

Maybe you could describe a procedure that works?
Sorry, I think I have conflated two threads on MacInTouch, this one and an earlier one discussing how to help manage an iOS device by actually seeing the other person's screen remotely.

If one has Yosemite, QuickTime Player 10.4, and iOS 8 or later, then selecting the iOS device in QuickTime Player in the disclosure arrow next to the Record button after opening a "New Movie Recording" (not New Screen Recording), one will see the iOS home-screen not the view from the iOS camera.

One can launch Camera in iOS and one will see that image on the Mac, but it can't be used in Preview > Manage Signatures to import a new one, like one can using a FaceTime camera. Preview doesn't recognize it as a camera.

Back before the Annotate > Signature function of Preview, I created a PDF signature I could paste into PDF documents. The following from 2013
has the details (start with #06) to create a transparent background after you have scanned (or photographed and converted to a PDF) your handwritten signature.

I recently upgraded to High Sierra and many of my Handbrake-encoded H.264 m4v movies will not launch with QuickTime Player 10. At first, macOS asked if I wanted to decrease the security of QuickTime to play the movies. Once I chose that, QuickTime says "An unknown error occurred (1718449215)".

The movies play fine in QuickTime 7 and VLC. Is there a simple fix for QuickTime 10? I can't see any codec differences comparing my movies that play and don't play, so this doesn't make any sense.

Also, the same movies will not play in iTunes 12.6.5.3. I just tried the movies in a High Sierra VM that has not installed Apple's iTunes Device Support Update to support iOS 13, and they play fine.

Is there a workaround for macOS? A library that could be resinstalled that's hopefully 64 bit? A simple patch for the m4v files, or way to figure out what's different with them? There must be a subtle difference, like being hinted for streaming or not, that's causing the problem. I really don't want to spend another year reencoding everything.

I recently upgraded to High Sierra and many of my Handbrake-encoded H.264 m4v movies will not launch with QuickTime Player 10. At first, macOS asked if I wanted to decrease the security of QuickTime to play the movies. Once I chose that, QuickTime says "An unknown error occurred (1718449215)".
The movies play fine in QuickTime 7 and VLC. Is there a simple fix for QuickTime 10? I can't see any codec differences comparing my movies that play and don't play, so this doesn't make any sense.
If you have a compatible QuickTime 7 codec installed, QuickTime 10 will convert your video into a compatible format before playing it. You clearly have a QuickTime 7 codec installed, because QuickTime 7 plays your "troublesome" video. I cannot account for the unknown error, but my advice is to go ahead an convert the video. Whenever you update to macOS Catalina, it may be too late.

First,I had QuickTime 7 Pro working in Mojave on a 2018 Mac Mini. I think how I accomplished this was that this was an older system and over the years upgraded and migrated this. Then I was having some serious issues with my user settings on this machine, so I decided to reformat the internal hard drive (backing up first to an external) and re-installed Mojave. This solved many of my OS problems, but I can't get QuickTime 7 to go Pro again. Things I have tried:

1) Re-install QuickTime 7 studio. It will install but QuickTime 7 will not run, so never asks me for the registration number. (This QuickTime 7 registration number made QuickTime 7 go Pro.)​
2) I tried the QuickTime Pro 7 registration number inside QuickTime 7. Doesn't take it.​
3) Paid for another QuickTime 7 copy. QuickTime 7 Pro won't connect to the server.​
4) Copied over some files from the old install.​
a) Library/Application support/Pro Apps​
b) ~/Preferences/com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist​
c) The QuickTime 7 app itself.​
d) A bunch of other QuickTime Pro settings and .plist and support.​
Nope.​

Anyone have an idea how to make this work? I know at some point in the not to distant future, I will have to figure out an upgrade, but my work currently depends on being able to easily copy snippets from QuickTime and paste them into new files. Thanks.

Hi, DougW, on the Macs I've upgraded to Mojave, your Step 2 works for me. On Macs that never had QuickTime 7 Pro installed, I just copied the app and deposited in the Applications folder. Then I used the registration number I purchased a long time ago. Kind of strange, after inputting the registration number, I just closed the registration window and checked the drop-down menus to verify the registration. The menus display everything.

Just wondering if this will work for you.

Ric Ford

MacInTouch
First,I had QuickTime 7 Pro working in Mojave on a 2018 Mac Mini. I think how I accomplished this was that this was an older system and over the years upgraded and migrated this. Then I was having some serious issues with my user settings on this machine, so I decided to reformat the internal hard drive (backing up first to an external) and re-installed Mojave. This solved many of my OS problems, but I can't get QuickTime 7 to go Pro again. ... Anyone have an idea how to make this work?
Here's what worked for me on a fully updated macOS Mojave system:
  1. Open QuickTime 7 Player
  2. Choose the Registration... menu item
  3. Enter your Registered To name
  4. Enter your Registration Code
  5. (If you previously had entered your Organization, you might need to enter that here, too.)
  6. Close the registration window
  7. Quit QuickTime Player 7
  8. Start up QuickTime Player 7 again.
I had the Pro features available at this point. (They weren't available previously.)

I don't remember having to enter a separate registration code for QuickTime Pro back when I purchased Final Cut Pro (FCP 5 at that time, I believe). If I recall correctly, the "Pro" feature set was revealed and activated with the FCP installation. Under Mojave, the "Pro" features vanished. I have no QT Pro code, nor, many years later, any registration info for the FCP install. Thus, it appears that my QuickTime 7 Player, now sans the handy "Pro" features, and ability to use older codecs, will remain useful, but just for playing materials that are and will remain unplayable with QuickTime 10.x player.

Sorry, I wasn't 100% clear. I don't have a QT7 Pro code. QT7 Pro was turned on after Final Cut Pro 7 installation, but like I and Chuck said, you can not install FCP 7 in Mojave.

However, I did find a solution for the time being. I found some [help] from my hacking days, before I was able to afford to purchase software.... I am not proud of this method – however, if Apple is not willing to sell it, and it did come with FCP 7, which I did buy (and a Windows version of QT7 Pro), I do think it’s ok.

I don't remember having to enter a separate registration code for QuickTime Pro back when I purchased Final Cut Pro (FCP 5 at that time, I believe). If I recall correctly, the "Pro" feature set was revealed and activated with the FCP installation.
Yeah, that's about right. If there was any part of Final Cut Studio installed and active on the system, QuickTime 7 Pro features would somehow be activated, registered to "Pro User" or something like that.

However, Apple no longer sells or supports either Final Cut Studio or QuickTime 7 Pro, so [you need to obtain a registration code & name].

Because one of my other hobbies is FTA satellite (C/Ku-band) watching, I create many files that have a .ts suffix on them. Just out of curiosity I played a .ts file using QuickTime (10.5) and it worked. I wonder when Apple incorporated transport stream files to QuickTime. I tried in the past, and QuickTime couldn't play them. I am pleasantly surprised.

I wonder when Apple incorporated transport stream files to QuickTime. I tried in the past, and QuickTime couldn't play them.
Probably about a decade ago, when they created HLS for iOS video streaming. HLS uses MPEG-TS for encapsulation. Snow Leopard was the first Mac OS version to support HLS. Of course, it was only supported in QuickTime X Player, not in QuickTime 7.

Amazon disclaimer:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts