BackupLoupe is a Mac app from Soma-zone that improves greatly on Apple’s oddball Time Machine software, offering more useful, coherent and detailed information about your backups, files and space usage.
For example, BackupLoupe (but not Time Machine) can tell you easily what files Time Machine backed up, and when, plus what folders were involved, and how much space was required. BackupLoupe also offers the ability to restore and recover files, its own fast search system, Time Machine backup statistics, and more. (See BackupLoupe FAQ for additional details.)
BackupLoupe 3.0.1 is priced at $15 as a personal license for macOS 10.13 or later with a limited trial mode available prior to the non-refundable purchase. Business licenses are priced at $50 per computer. (BackupLoupe 2.16.2 is available for OS X Mavericks 10.9 through macOS Mojave 10.14.)
The latest release brings a few fixes after the major Version 3.0 update.
- New UI centered around machines, not backup devices; All snapshots belonging to a machine are listed in chronological order, no matter where they are stored
- Integrated Disk Manager allows for mounting of network backup filesystems from within the application
- Immediately shows approximate size of snapshot. No indexing required.
- Reduced size of caches by ~80%
- Entire snapshots may now be removed from withing BackupLoupe
- Improved History View with support for QuickLook drag&drop restore
- Still recognizes machines and volumes after they have been renamed
- Proper handling of volumes sharing the same name
- Shared caches for users with admin privileges