MacInTouch Community discussions include these topics (among others):
MacInTouch Community discussions touch on the following topics (among others):
Backup notes talk about TIme Machine issues and macOS process priorities, Time Capsule hard drive compatibility, ChronoSync, etc.
MacInTouch Community discussions also include the following topics (among others):
- Apple Card – PDF statement conversion (to CSV tabular data)
- Apple – workaround for defective macOS Sierra installer
- Fonts – cross-platform compatibility, Microsoft fonts
- Internet/phone service – Verizon abuses
- macOS Catalina – reinstall issues
- Photography – websites for sharing/selling
- Tax software/security – “interview” issues, identity theft, IRS, etc.
MacInTouch Community discussions include the following topics (among others):
- Apple Card – statement conversion hack (csv.wtf)
- Apple security – Checkra1n/Ra1nUSB jailbreak; iCloud AI image scanning; FBI, end-to-end encryption
- Backup – Time Machine failures (and ChronoSync contention)
- Input devices – Logitech Triathlon vs. Microsoft Precision Mouse
- Internet services – Verizon false advertising
- iPhone SE – extended support in California
- macOS Catalina – Apple update broke Canon camera connection
- Quicken – APFS conflict with “lexicographical order”
- SSDs – Samsung’s ultrafast PCIe 4.0 SSD previewed
- Tax software – security/privacy and software archiving problems
MacInTouch Community discussions include the following current topics (among others):
- 2019 Mac Pro – gaming and GPU issues
- Apple security – invisible updates, Apple Pay charges
- Audio – Sonos port blocking and DNS blackholing
- Bluetooth – new standard and audio capabilities
- Competition – Intel Ghost Canyon NUC; Ryzen 4000, Tiger Lake
- Fonts – Adobe changes, Affinity support, conversion, OpenType
- Input devices – Contour and Logitech mice
- Linux – MacBook Pro graphics failure workarounds
- macOS Catalina – protection problems, Users location/migration
- Malware – North Korean Mac malware, ad blockers, nasty phishing trick
- Migration – missing macOS installers
- Misc. – new vs. old tractors/technology
- Photography – web hosting options, experiences, etc.
- Security – IoT, firewalls and Ring cameras
- Tax software – prices, capabilities, compatibility, etc.
Linux discussion includes Chromebook conversion issues, better alternatives (new and used), issues with a new Dell Inspiron, and Linux workarounds with MacBook Pro graphics failures.
MacInTouch Community updates also discuss the following topics (among others):
- 2019 Mac Pro – weak graphics (and gaming) vs. iGPUs
- Adobe/alternatives – font issues, Affinity Publisher IDML import
- Audio – Sonos “recycling” issues, sandboxing
- Apple Messages – sync follies and confusion
- Competition – Intel NUC 9 Extreme (“Ghost Canyon”)
- Input devices – great, old Contour Mouse, alternatives
- iPhones – battery charge indicator bugs
- macOS Catalina – Dymo software, Finder-related problems
- Photography – SmugMug, hosting alternatives/issues
- Tax software – macOS version compatibility confusions
- Thunderbolt – Bluetooth interference with long Thunderbolt cable
macOS Catalina notes talk about Apple Books bugs, Dymo label software compatibility, QuickTime 7 elimination and virtualization workarounds, plus Thunderbolt sleep crashes and tips for installing Mojave (or High Sierra) on new Macs that can still run it while shipping with Catalina installed.
MacInTouch Community updates also touch on the following topics (among others):
- 2019 Mac Pro – real-world performance tests
- Apple Mail – PostCheck plug-in
- Apple Messages – sync/sound problems
- Audio – Sonos follies
- Benchmarking – Geekbench changes score confusion
- Displays – Apple Thunderbolt Display failures workaround
- Competition – new Dell laptops
- iPhones – GPS failure, replacement iPhone, setup problems
- Linux – introduction/tutorial; photo software (GIMP, Darktable etc.)
- Migration – 2009 iMac upgrade
- PDF issues – security/update problems; compatibility issues/options
- Photography – web hosting options?
- Safari – style sheet bugs
- Security – more IoT camera security problems (Xiaomi, Google Nest)
- Tax software – sale prices
Storage discussions talk about defragmenting hard drives via clone-erase-restore, along with related Time Machine issues, plus SSD vs. hard drive differences, techniques for mounting/securing external SSDs (e.g. for iMacs), USB vs. SATA performance, and a year-end review of current SSD technologies.
MacInTouch Community discussions also include the following current topics (among others):
- Apple Messages – notification/sync misses
- Help please – iPhone sizes vs. fingers/keyboards
- IoT (Internet of Things) – Wyze personal information breach and response
- macOS Catalina – Apple Books problems
- PDF issues – Adobe Reader/Acrobat vs. Apple Preview (and security)
- Repair issues – Sonos bricking; bad hard drives
Storage discussion talks about fusion drive SSD upgrades, an important Samsung EVO 970 Plus firmware fix, Intel’s fusion-type Rapid Storage Technology, and APFS performance issues.
MacInTouch Community discussions also touch on the following topics (among others):
- 2019 Mac Pro – rack-mount model/peripherals; SSD cost/performance
- Adobe – security update misinformation
- Hackintoshes – inexpensive HP Elite-based systems
- Help please – iPhone XR vs. iPhone Plus for big fingers?
- iMessage – audio alert problems
- Input devices – Splashtop for Mac control via iPhone
- iOS 13 – app crashing, battery drain, GPS bugs
- macOS Catalina – Catalyst apps, Fusion drives, Apple Books issues, etc.
- Printers/scanners – VueScan OCR; Epson all-in-one kudos
- Security – Wyze personal information breach
MacInTouch Community discussions include the following current topics, among others:
- 2019 Mac Pro – rack version, performance tests, PCIe cards vs. Apple SSD
- Apple TV – personal information confusion
- Input devices – iPhone/iPad in lieu of mouse?
- iOS 13 – battery drain, quality issues
- macOS Catalina – bad Apple Books, virtualization, dead Dymo
- Mapping – slow iPhone GPS failures
- Old systems – Adam Rosen’s Mac museum moves
- Products – all-in-one printer/scanner recommendations
- Phone services – voice mail transcriptions, MagicJack, WiFi calling, etc.
- Quicken – Raymond James Financial connectivity restored
- Security – Apple/Adobe abandonment (Acrobat/Reader, Preview)
- Storage – Fusion drive APFS performance, alternatives
- Tax software – TurboTax on fusion drives
- Troubleshooting – Thunderbolt/panics with Catalina/sleep
- Virtualization – multi-user performance issues
- Web browsers – memory usage
Adobe security discussion warns of a nasty deception with Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat claiming everything is up to date and secure while users are actually exposed to critical vulnerabilities!
MacInTouch Community discussions also include the following topics, among recent updates and others:
- Apple Mail – Catalina bug with “recent similar reports”
- Malware – “tapufind” antidote (vs. scamware)?
- Phone services – MagicJack notes
- Products – “All in One” printer/scanner wanted…
- Security – Spamgourmet; Ring
- Troubleshooting – crashes on sleep with OWC Thunderbay
- Virtualization – licensing, performance vs. resources