MacInTouch discussions include the following:
MacDrive is software from OWC Digital for using Mac-formatted drives on Windows systems. Features include support for reading and writing unencrypted, non-Fusion HFS+ volumes; formatting, partitioning, and repair; plus support for Target Disk Mode, DVD/CD, flash drives, etc. It also supports Time Machine backup browsing/copying, as well as access from Boot Camp, VMware Fusion and Parallels. A Pro version even supports SoftRAID RAID 0/RAID 1 volumes, mounts Mac sparse disk images, creates Mac ISO files, burns Mac Blu-ray discs and offers automatic file defragmentation
MacDrive 10.5 APFS beta offers preliminary support for reading (but not writing) unencrypted APFS volumes, but the company warns about Apple’s APFS performance problems with hard drives:
While APFS does offer many advantages for Mac-formatted SSD drives, its performance on traditional platter hard drives is significantly worse. As a result, if you are going to be moving files back and forth between a Mac and a PC on a non-SSD hard drive, we recommend keeping your drive formatted as HFS+.
Keeping the drive HFS+ gives you the ability to both read and write to the disk on a PC with MacDrive, while retaining the ability for the drive to be mounted on non-High Sierra Macs.
MacInTouch Community discussions include the following topics (among others):
- Apple Card – statement conversion hack (csv.wtf)
- Apple security – Checkra1n/Ra1nUSB jailbreak; iCloud AI image scanning; FBI, end-to-end encryption
- Backup – Time Machine failures (and ChronoSync contention)
- Input devices – Logitech Triathlon vs. Microsoft Precision Mouse
- Internet services – Verizon false advertising
- iPhone SE – extended support in California
- macOS Catalina – Apple update broke Canon camera connection
- Quicken – APFS conflict with “lexicographical order”
- SSDs – Samsung’s ultrafast PCIe 4.0 SSD previewed
- Tax software – security/privacy and software archiving problems
Storage discussion talks about fusion drive SSD upgrades, an important Samsung EVO 970 Plus firmware fix, Intel’s fusion-type Rapid Storage Technology, and APFS performance issues.
MacInTouch Community discussions also touch on the following topics (among others):
- 2019 Mac Pro – rack-mount model/peripherals; SSD cost/performance
- Adobe – security update misinformation
- Hackintoshes – inexpensive HP Elite-based systems
- Help please – iPhone XR vs. iPhone Plus for big fingers?
- iMessage – audio alert problems
- Input devices – Splashtop for Mac control via iPhone
- iOS 13 – app crashing, battery drain, GPS bugs
- macOS Catalina – Catalyst apps, Fusion drives, Apple Books issues, etc.
- Printers/scanners – VueScan OCR; Epson all-in-one kudos
- Security – Wyze personal information breach
2019 Mac Pro discussion continues on storage issues, Thunderbolt controllers and display support, motherboard (and liquid cooling) costs, halo effects, configuration costs and PC competition, Xeon W vs. SP (single vs. dual CPU) price models, and a happy teardown.
Virtualization notes talk about using virtual machines (VMs/VMDK) across multiple host environments over extended periods and also offer a procedure for booting a virtual machine off a real hard drive (“raw” disk).
MacInTouch Community discussions also include the following current topics, among others:
- Apple Card – no iPhone installments?
- Apple product issues – missing middle Macs; ARM-based future?
- Apple quality – iPhone screen scratches, coatings and protectors
- Displays – Apple Pro Display XDR issues
- File systems – APFS versions, tool issues; FUSE
- iMacs – RAM upgrades, GPU options
- iPhones – wireless charging vs. cases
- Mac malware – “no known viruses for Macs” claim
- macOS Catalina – QuickTime 7 loss, virtualization; VueScan and ExactScan
- Migration – High Sierra, APFS and performance issues
- Networking – SMB, Apple bugs, performance issues
- Old systems – past Macs, performance, Atari hackintosh
- Raspberry Pi – fun projects and tips
- Tax software – update and phone-home issues
- Thunderbolt – iPhone-caused disconnects
- Time Machine – files list utility?