MacInTouch discussions include these updates, among others:
2019 Mac Pro notes talk about storage upgrade issues, historical price comparisons, Thunderbolt video compatibility and bandwidth, 2013 Mac Pro obsolescence/support, Windows PC comparisons, tech support for $50K+ customers, Apple wheels, iFixit fun, component costs and other pricing/design factors, cheap RAM, an impressive Ryzenshine AMD-based hackintosh, road-robust design, the halo effect, and more.
Virtualization discussion looks at 32-bit support within macOS Catalina; issues with cloning/importing/booting disk volumes; standard VM formats; compatibility and update concerns; Parallels vs. VMware; archive formats; performance experiences; VirtualBox extension licenses; and more.
MacInTouch Community discussions also include the following topics, among others:
- Adobe/alternatives – Affinity excitement; IDMarkz InDesign conversions
- Antivirus software – suggestions for mom; Avast and F-Secure
- Apple quality – iPhone/iPad scratches, cases
- Apple security – hidden processes; silent updates/changes; parental control bypass bug
- Audio – 64-bit apps for pop and click cleanup
- Displays – BenQ EW3270U, Pro Display XDR compatibility, dual-panel (LMCL) technology, ProArt PA32UCX
- File systems – APFS version confusion, detective work
- iMacs – $1399 iMac 5K; RAM upgrades
- iOS 13 – “bugs galore”, UI problems, update issues, file servers optimized charging
- Mac Mini – OWC SSD upgrade confusion
- MacBook Pro – 16-inch audio bug partial patch?
- macOS Catalina – VueScan, QuickTime, 16-inch MacBook Pro and Mojave, dictation deprecation
- Malware – malicious ads inject malware into iPhones from mainstream websites…
- Migration – macOS choices for older Macs
- Networking – AFP vs NFS vs SMB Performance
- Old systems – publishers and preservation; Fortran; old Mac speed; Copland
- Scams – snail mail and phone scams, and related advice
- Security – Ring device invasions, etc.
- Tax software – privacy/security issues and options
- Thunderbolt – cellphone-triggered disconnects; OWC dock
Adobe and alternatives discussion talks about Affinity Publisher and InDesign/IDML conversion with IDMarkz (including notes from the developer), along with various publishing/business issues and experiences.
Email discussion digs deeply into issues with G Suite and Gmail setups, along with alternative email providers, anti-malware and anti-phishing services, the Mail-in-a-Box server, etc.
MacInTouch Community discussions include the following current topics, among others:
- Antivirus apps – F-Secure Safe
- Apple Mail – junk mail processing problems
- Apple security – stealth location tracking; Find My, U1 chip and iBeacons; GPS
- Apple TV – Dolby Vision HDR failure; Hulu bug
- Backups – Time Machine restore options/procedures
- Displays – dual-layer (LMCL) vs. OLED mastering monitors
- File systems – APFS boot issues/tests
- Firewalls – Ubiquity EdgeRouter, Pi-Hole, Raspberry Pi notes, etc.
- Input devices – Corsair RGB keyboard profiles
- iOS 13 – voice control; iOS 13 bugs and update issues
- Linux – iPad vs. Mac; distro review; laptops; dual-boot; terminal apps
- Mac Pro (classic) – video card compatibility
- MacBook Pro – sudden shutdown bugs; speaking popping; display ghosts; hackintoshes
- macOS Catalina – bugs, enterprise concerns, Unix shells, etc.
- Malware – cryptocurrency fileless Mac infection
- Old systems – old drives, DEC systems, Televideo, Macs, motorcycles, appliances, cars…
- Security – solar systems; X10; FBI warnings: Smart TVs and iOT
- Storage – Thunderbolt and USB SSDs – performance, compatibility, prices, etc.
- Thunderbolt – CalDigit TS3 Plus, OWC dock
- Two-factor authentication (2FA) – PayPal/Authy setup
- Utilities – LiteSwitchX replacement, TechTool Pro 12
- Vulnerabilities – VPN-busting bug