HoudahGeo is a Mac app from Houdah Software S.A R.L. for connecting photos with geolocation data. Features include import of GPS track logs and waypoints from many brands of GPS devices, with automatic geocoding from track logs; built-in map display and adjustment; corrections for camera time zone and clock errors; reverse geocoding (determine location names and ground altitude from GPS coordinates); metadata (coordinates, location names, title, description, keywords, etc.) and tag writing (EXIF, XMP and IPC) to image masters or XMP sidecars; Google Earth KMZ/KML export; upload to EveryTrail and Flickr; integration with iPhoto, Aperture, Photos and Lightroom, and more. (See HoudahGeo user manual [PDF] for more details.)
HoudahGeo 5.4.2 is priced starting at $39 for OS X 10.10 and up with a free trial version available. (Older versions for earlier Macs are available at the bottom of a support page.) The latest release “can now read catalogs created by Lightroom Classic CC 9.”
Pin photos to the exact locations where they were taken. HoudahGeo stores latitude, longitude and altitude as geotags right within the image file, just like a GPS-enabled camera [and] supports many methods of geocoding, ranging from automatic to manual. Use a GPS track log, reference photos taken with iPhone or pick locations on the built-in map.
macOS Catalina notes talk about Apple Books bugs, Dymo label software compatibility, QuickTime 7 elimination and virtualization workarounds, plus Thunderbolt sleep crashes and tips for installing Mojave (or High Sierra) on new Macs that can still run it while shipping with Catalina installed.
MacInTouch Community updates also touch on the following topics (among others):
MacInTouch Community discussions include the following current topics, among others:
- 2019 Mac Pro – rack version, performance tests, PCIe cards vs. Apple SSD
- Apple TV – personal information confusion
- Input devices – iPhone/iPad in lieu of mouse?
- iOS 13 – battery drain, quality issues
- macOS Catalina – bad Apple Books, virtualization, dead Dymo
- Mapping – slow iPhone GPS failures
- Old systems – Adam Rosen’s Mac museum moves
- Products – all-in-one printer/scanner recommendations
- Phone services – voice mail transcriptions, MagicJack, WiFi calling, etc.
- Quicken – Raymond James Financial connectivity restored
- Security – Apple/Adobe abandonment (Acrobat/Reader, Preview)
- Storage – Fusion drive APFS performance, alternatives
- Tax software – TurboTax on fusion drives
- Troubleshooting – Thunderbolt/panics with Catalina/sleep
- Virtualization – multi-user performance issues
- Web browsers – memory usage
Metapho is an iOS app from YoonHyung Jo (Zininworks) for checking and managing photo metadata (e.g. camera details, color and compression format, date/time, location, even Deep Fusion and Night Mode on the iPhone 11). Features include video support, the ability to strip out metadata/location data, share without metadata, copy and paste or drag and drop locations, and change date or location, plus support for iOS 13 Shortcuts, Dark Mode and iPadOS windows.
Metapho 3.4.4, for iOS 13 only, is priced at $3.99 (in-app purchase) “to unlock everything.”