Affinity Publisher is an alternative from Serif Ltd. to Adobe’s InDesign subscription product. Features include “master pages, facing page spreads, grids, tables, advanced typography, text flow, full professional print output and other amazing features”, instant undo with a history slider, a full resource manager, import/export of “all major raster and vector files, including layered PSD, PDF and EPS formats”, floating or pinned graphics, non-destructive adjustment layers, vector graphic tools (pen and node, fills, boolean operaions, layer effects), extensive color control (RGB, LAB, grayscale and CMYK color spaces, end-to-end CMYK, spot color with Pantone support, ICC profiles), bleed/trim/crop mark support, a section manager with automatic generation of indexes and a table of contents, and a lot more.
Affinity Publisher 1.8.2 is priced at just $49.99 (currently on sale at half-price), subscription-free with a free 90-day trial, for OS X 10.9 and later, as well as Windows 7 and up. Version 1.8 brought very important IDML compatibility for importing InDesign files, and Version 1.8.2 has IDML fixes and a bunch of other improvements.
Adobe and alternatives discussion continues with lots more about scripting and related issues, plus InDesign document conversion and archiving.
MacInTouch Community updates touch on the following topics, as well:
Adobe and alternatives discussion talks about Affinity Publisher and InDesign/IDML conversion with IDMarkz (including notes from the developer), along with various publishing/business issues and experiences.
Email discussion digs deeply into issues with G Suite and Gmail setups, along with alternative email providers, anti-malware and anti-phishing services, the Mail-in-a-Box server, etc.
MacInTouch Community discussions include the following current topics, among others:
- Antivirus apps – F-Secure Safe
- Apple Mail – junk mail processing problems
- Apple security – stealth location tracking; Find My, U1 chip and iBeacons; GPS
- Apple TV – Dolby Vision HDR failure; Hulu bug
- Backups – Time Machine restore options/procedures
- Displays – dual-layer (LMCL) vs. OLED mastering monitors
- File systems – APFS boot issues/tests
- Firewalls – Ubiquity EdgeRouter, Pi-Hole, Raspberry Pi notes, etc.
- Input devices – Corsair RGB keyboard profiles
- iOS 13 – voice control; iOS 13 bugs and update issues
- Linux – iPad vs. Mac; distro review; laptops; dual-boot; terminal apps
- Mac Pro (classic) – video card compatibility
- MacBook Pro – sudden shutdown bugs; speaking popping; display ghosts; hackintoshes
- macOS Catalina – bugs, enterprise concerns, Unix shells, etc.
- Malware – cryptocurrency fileless Mac infection
- Old systems – old drives, DEC systems, Televideo, Macs, motorcycles, appliances, cars…
- Security – solar systems; X10; FBI warnings: Smart TVs and iOT
- Storage – Thunderbolt and USB SSDs – performance, compatibility, prices, etc.
- Thunderbolt – CalDigit TS3 Plus, OWC dock
- Two-factor authentication (2FA) – PayPal/Authy setup
- Utilities – LiteSwitchX replacement, TechTool Pro 12
- Vulnerabilities – VPN-busting bug
IDMarkz is a Mac utility from Markzware for converting InDesign files (to the IDML interchange file format, annotatable PDFs and other formats) for use in Affinity Publisher (1.8+), QuarkXPress, older Adobe InDesign versions and more, without requiring the Adobe subscription software itself. Other features include the ability to preview InDesign documents, automatic conversion and opening in your chosen app, AppleScript support, and an inspector to show document details.
IDMarkz is priced at $199 for macOS 10.12 and later. Coupon code IDMarkzLaunch provides a 50% discount through the end of the year. (A Preview app, free in return for providing an email address, allows viewing InDesign files but not exporting them.)