MacInTouch Community discussions include the following current topics (among others):
- 2019 Mac Pro – gaming and GPU issues
- Apple security – invisible updates, Apple Pay charges
- Audio – Sonos port blocking and DNS blackholing
- Bluetooth – new standard and audio capabilities
- Competition – Intel Ghost Canyon NUC; Ryzen 4000, Tiger Lake
- Fonts – Adobe changes, Affinity support, conversion, OpenType
- Input devices – Contour and Logitech mice
- Linux – MacBook Pro graphics failure workarounds
- macOS Catalina – protection problems, Users location/migration
- Malware – North Korean Mac malware, ad blockers, nasty phishing trick
- Migration – missing macOS installers
- Misc. – new vs. old tractors/technology
- Photography – web hosting options, experiences, etc.
- Security – IoT, firewalls and Ring cameras
- Tax software – prices, capabilities, compatibility, etc.
I have now migrated MacInTouch to a new publishing platform (which hasn’t been at all easy…).
Please let me know right away if you encounter any problems.
We have seen browser security alerts with subdomains, e.g. www.macintouch.com, but not for macintouch.com, which should work OK.
Some browsers seem fine with the certificate situation (e.g. Chrome, Safari), while others (Firefox) are fussing over it.
I’ve now purchased a security certificate that’s supposed to cover all subdomains (*.macintouch.com). The certificates don’t seem to be completely operational yet, but I’m hoping they will get the job done soon.
2019 Mac Pro notes talk about storage upgrade issues, historical price comparisons, Thunderbolt video compatibility and bandwidth, 2013 Mac Pro obsolescence/support, Windows PC comparisons, tech support for $50K+ customers, Apple wheels, iFixit fun, component costs and other pricing/design factors, cheap RAM, an impressive Ryzenshine AMD-based hackintosh, road-robust design, the halo effect, and more.
Virtualization discussion looks at 32-bit support within macOS Catalina; issues with cloning/importing/booting disk volumes; standard VM formats; compatibility and update concerns; Parallels vs. VMware; archive formats; performance experiences; VirtualBox extension licenses; and more.
MacInTouch Community discussions also include the following topics, among others:
- Adobe/alternatives – Affinity excitement; IDMarkz InDesign conversions
- Antivirus software – suggestions for mom; Avast and F-Secure
- Apple quality – iPhone/iPad scratches, cases
- Apple security – hidden processes; silent updates/changes; parental control bypass bug
- Audio – 64-bit apps for pop and click cleanup
- Displays – BenQ EW3270U, Pro Display XDR compatibility, dual-panel (LMCL) technology, ProArt PA32UCX
- File systems – APFS version confusion, detective work
- iMacs – $1399 iMac 5K; RAM upgrades
- iOS 13 – “bugs galore”, UI problems, update issues, file servers optimized charging
- Mac Mini – OWC SSD upgrade confusion
- MacBook Pro – 16-inch audio bug partial patch?
- macOS Catalina – VueScan, QuickTime, 16-inch MacBook Pro and Mojave, dictation deprecation
- Malware – malicious ads inject malware into iPhones from mainstream websites…
- Migration – macOS choices for older Macs
- Networking – AFP vs NFS vs SMB Performance
- Old systems – publishers and preservation; Fortran; old Mac speed; Copland
- Scams – snail mail and phone scams, and related advice
- Security – Ring device invasions, etc.
- Tax software – privacy/security issues and options
- Thunderbolt – cellphone-triggered disconnects; OWC dock