Blackmagic eGPU is an external graphics accelerator from Blackmagic Design Pty. Ltd. for Thunderbolt 3-equipped Macs, available in either a standard or “pro” version. Features include a stylish aluminum enclosure, dual Thunderbolt 3 ports, 85W Power Delivery, a 4K HDMI port, four USB 3.1 connectors, and a quiet, variable-speed fan. The standard version includes an AMD Radeon Pro 580 GPU with 8 GB of memory, while the Pro version adds a DisplayPort 1.4 connector (supporting up to 5K at 60Hz) and upgrades to a Radeon RX Vega 56 with 8 GB of high-speed HBM2 RAM.
Blackmagic eGPU is priced at $699, sold via Apple, for Macs with Thunderbolt 3 ports running macOS 10.14 and later, while the Blackmagic eGPU Pro sells for $1,199. The latest update even supports Apple’s high-end Pro Display XDR at 6K resolution:
Set up and use Apple Pro Display XDR
… Pro Display XDR requires a Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 port and macOS Catalina 10.15.2. … Pro Display XDR supports a resolution of 6016 x 3384 with 10bpc on these Mac models:
- Mac Pro introduced in 2019
- 16-inch MacBook Pro introduced in 2019
- 15-inch MacBook Pro introduced in 2018 or later
- iMac introduced in 2019
- Mac computers with Thunderbolt 3 ports connected to Blackmagic eGPU or Blackmagic eGPU Pro
eGFX Breakaway is a set of “eGPU” (external GPU) boxes from Sonnet Technologies Inc. that host high-powered graphics cards and connect via Thunderbolt 3 to Macs (or PCs) equipped with that high-speed connector. Features include a built-in, variable-speed, temperature-controlled (“quiet”) fan, support for liquid coolers, a choice of power supplies and Power Delivery capabilities, and compatibility with “the latest CPU cards”, including AMD Radeon R9, RX, RX Vega, and Pro WX models, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 9 and 10 series, TITAN X, Xp, V, and Quadro models, as well as supporting other PCIe cards – full-length, full-height, single- or double-width – such as the Avid Pro Tools|HDX(4) and Red Rocket-X. (See compatibility info.)
- eGFX Breakaway Box 550 is priced at $249.99 with a 550W power supply and 87 Watts of laptop power delivery.
- eGFX Breakaway Box 650 is priced at $348.99 with a 650W power supply and 87 Watts of laptop power delivery, approved for “air-cooled editions of the AMD Radeon RX Vega 64, Vega Frontier Edition, and Radeon Pro WX 9100” and “overclocked NVIDIA cards with high peak power requirements.”
- eGFX Breakaway Puck RX 560, priced at $399, is a compact version with Radeon RX 560 GPU built in, 45W Power Delivery, three DisplayPorts and one HDMI port.
- eGFX Breakaway Puck RX 570 is priced at $499 with more powerful Radeon RX 570 graphics.
- “PuckCuff” is an optional VESA mounting bracket kit for the Breakaway Pucks, priced at $49.99.
Akitio Node is a Thunderbolt 3 expansion box that accomodates graphics cards for eGPU (external GPU) configurations, as well as other types of PCIe cards. Features include a 4-lane, x16 PCI Express 3.0 slot with 75W power, a 400W power supply with additional 6+2-pin power connectors, and space for full-length, full-height, double-width cards.
Akitio Node is list-priced at $299.99 (sold via Amazon and other resellers) for a Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 port and a compatible graphics card (or other PCIe card).
Akitio Node Pro adds additional features to the enclosure: a second Thunderbolt 3 port, a DisplayPort 1.2 connector, and 60W Power Delivery for laptop charging, with a built-in 500W power supply, with separate fans for enclosure and power supply.
Akitio Node Pro is list-priced at $369.99 (sold via Amazon and other resellers) for a Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 port and a compatible graphics/other PCIe card.
Akitio Node Lite is a smaller Thunderbolt 3 expansion box that accomodates a half-length PCIe card – not a graphics card, but various storage and networking cards, for example. This version also offers a DisplayPort 1.2 monitor connection (up to 4K at 60 Hz) and a second Thunderbolt 3 port.
Akitio Node Lite is list-priced at $219.99 (sold via Amazon and other resellers) for a Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 port and a compatible PCIe card.
Akitio Node Duo is a Thunderbolt 3 expansion box that holds two half-length PCIe cards (2 PCI lanes each), while also providing 60W power delivery for laptop charging, a DisplayPort 1.2 monitor connection, and a second Thunderbolt 3 port.
Akitio Node Duo is list-priced at $429.99 (sold via Amazon and other resellers) for a Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 port and a compatible PCIe card.