TextMate is a “powerful and customizable text editor” for the Mac from MacroMates Ltd. with support for “a huge list of programming languages”, HTML markup, and general use. Designed to bridge “Unix underpinnings and GUI” to “cherry-pick the best of both worlds to the benefit of expert scripters and novice users alike”, TextMate offers project grouping, window tabs, text folding, macros, text snippets, regular expressions, syntax highlighting, WebKit-based HTML previews, column editing, auto-completion, visual bookmarks, shell commands and much more (see the TextMate 2 manual and “TextMate 2 Basics” posts for more details).
MacVim is an enhanced version from Björn Winckler and others of the widely used text editor with its old Unix user interface that predates modern, graphical Macintosh “apps.” In fact, Vim is included in the macOS Unix command-line libraries accessible via Terminal, and MacVim may best serve as a training ground for learning Unix-style editing. Features from Vim include a bullt-in tutorial and a highly customizable/extensible environment, along with comparison and merging of files, extended regular expressions, scripting languages, network support, spell-checking, Unicode support, syntax highlighting, undo/redo history, and quite a bit more. (See the MacVim FAQ and reference manual for more details.)
MacVim 8.1.1722 (157) is freely downloadable charity-ware for OS X 10.8 and later, and Vim also runs on Windows, Linux, VMS, and other operating systems.
Adobe and alternatives discussion continues with lots more about scripting and related issues, plus InDesign document conversion and archiving.
MacInTouch Community updates touch on the following topics, as well:
- 2019 Mac Pro – rack-mount model, accessory/upgrade pricing
- Apple Mail – bug apparently fixed by Catalina update
- Apple quality/security – more bad documentation
- Data recovery – accidental RAID erase sans backup…
- Help please – 2009 MacBook and High Sierra?
- iOS 13 – forced, unwanted updates
- Linux – iPad remote/terminal options; security issues
- macOS Catalina – AppleScript/resource fork issues; bug fix; TechTool Pro
- Old systems – Pascal, compilers, interpreters, etc.; hard drive heads
- Raspberry Pi etc. – VPN server, Arduino, glory days
- Security – solar systems