Linux discussion includes Chromebook conversion issues, better alternatives (new and used), issues with a new Dell Inspiron, and Linux workarounds with MacBook Pro graphics failures.
MacInTouch Community updates also discuss the following topics (among others):
- 2019 Mac Pro – weak graphics (and gaming) vs. iGPUs
- Adobe/alternatives – font issues, Affinity Publisher IDML import
- Audio – Sonos “recycling” issues, sandboxing
- Apple Messages – sync follies and confusion
- Competition – Intel NUC 9 Extreme (“Ghost Canyon”)
- Input devices – great, old Contour Mouse, alternatives
- iPhones – battery charge indicator bugs
- macOS Catalina – Dymo software, Finder-related problems
- Photography – SmugMug, hosting alternatives/issues
- Tax software – macOS version compatibility confusions
- Thunderbolt – Bluetooth interference with long Thunderbolt cable
MacInTouch Community discussions include the following current topics, among others:
- 2019 Mac Pro – rack version, performance tests, PCIe cards vs. Apple SSD
- Apple TV – personal information confusion
- Input devices – iPhone/iPad in lieu of mouse?
- iOS 13 – battery drain, quality issues
- macOS Catalina – bad Apple Books, virtualization, dead Dymo
- Mapping – slow iPhone GPS failures
- Old systems – Adam Rosen’s Mac museum moves
- Products – all-in-one printer/scanner recommendations
- Phone services – voice mail transcriptions, MagicJack, WiFi calling, etc.
- Quicken – Raymond James Financial connectivity restored
- Security – Apple/Adobe abandonment (Acrobat/Reader, Preview)
- Storage – Fusion drive APFS performance, alternatives
- Tax software – TurboTax on fusion drives
- Troubleshooting – Thunderbolt/panics with Catalina/sleep
- Virtualization – multi-user performance issues
- Web browsers – memory usage
2019 Mac Pro discussion continues on storage issues, Thunderbolt controllers and display support, motherboard (and liquid cooling) costs, halo effects, configuration costs and PC competition, Xeon W vs. SP (single vs. dual CPU) price models, and a happy teardown.
Virtualization notes talk about using virtual machines (VMs/VMDK) across multiple host environments over extended periods and also offer a procedure for booting a virtual machine off a real hard drive (“raw” disk).
MacInTouch Community discussions also include the following current topics, among others:
- Apple Card – no iPhone installments?
- Apple product issues – missing middle Macs; ARM-based future?
- Apple quality – iPhone screen scratches, coatings and protectors
- Displays – Apple Pro Display XDR issues
- File systems – APFS versions, tool issues; FUSE
- iMacs – RAM upgrades, GPU options
- iPhones – wireless charging vs. cases
- Mac malware – “no known viruses for Macs” claim
- macOS Catalina – QuickTime 7 loss, virtualization; VueScan and ExactScan
- Migration – High Sierra, APFS and performance issues
- Networking – SMB, Apple bugs, performance issues
- Old systems – past Macs, performance, Atari hackintosh
- Raspberry Pi – fun projects and tips
- Tax software – update and phone-home issues
- Thunderbolt – iPhone-caused disconnects
- Time Machine – files list utility?
2019 Mac Pro notes talk about storage upgrade issues, historical price comparisons, Thunderbolt video compatibility and bandwidth, 2013 Mac Pro obsolescence/support, Windows PC comparisons, tech support for $50K+ customers, Apple wheels, iFixit fun, component costs and other pricing/design factors, cheap RAM, an impressive Ryzenshine AMD-based hackintosh, road-robust design, the halo effect, and more.
Virtualization discussion looks at 32-bit support within macOS Catalina; issues with cloning/importing/booting disk volumes; standard VM formats; compatibility and update concerns; Parallels vs. VMware; archive formats; performance experiences; VirtualBox extension licenses; and more.
MacInTouch Community discussions also include the following topics, among others:
- Adobe/alternatives – Affinity excitement; IDMarkz InDesign conversions
- Antivirus software – suggestions for mom; Avast and F-Secure
- Apple quality – iPhone/iPad scratches, cases
- Apple security – hidden processes; silent updates/changes; parental control bypass bug
- Audio – 64-bit apps for pop and click cleanup
- Displays – BenQ EW3270U, Pro Display XDR compatibility, dual-panel (LMCL) technology, ProArt PA32UCX
- File systems – APFS version confusion, detective work
- iMacs – $1399 iMac 5K; RAM upgrades
- iOS 13 – “bugs galore”, UI problems, update issues, file servers optimized charging
- Mac Mini – OWC SSD upgrade confusion
- MacBook Pro – 16-inch audio bug partial patch?
- macOS Catalina – VueScan, QuickTime, 16-inch MacBook Pro and Mojave, dictation deprecation
- Malware – malicious ads inject malware into iPhones from mainstream websites…
- Migration – macOS choices for older Macs
- Networking – AFP vs NFS vs SMB Performance
- Old systems – publishers and preservation; Fortran; old Mac speed; Copland
- Scams – snail mail and phone scams, and related advice
- Security – Ring device invasions, etc.
- Tax software – privacy/security issues and options
- Thunderbolt – cellphone-triggered disconnects; OWC dock
ThunderBay 4 Mini is a multi-drive storage system from Other World Computing Inc. (macsales.com) that connects to a computer via Thunderbolt — both Thunderbolt 3 models and Thunderbolt 2 models (compatible with Thunderbolt 1) are available.
Features include four 2.5″ drive bays with slide-in trays (for 6Gbps SATA SSDs or hard drives), dual Thunderbolt ports, a compact aluminum enclosure with “32.5dB cooling fan”, and SoftRAID software for combining drives in a variety of RAID configurations for improved performance and reliability (although SoftRAID is not currently compatible with FileVault 2 encryption or Fusion drive configurations).
ThunderBay 4 Mini is priced from $299.99 as a bare enclosure with SoftRAID Lite to $2,069.99 with four 2TB SSDs and the full SoftRAID XT software version, for macOS 10.13 and later.
SSD (Solid State Drives) are a hot topic with much confusion about USB vs. Thunderbolt, related compatibility issues and performance, plus unexpected Thunderbolt disconnects, the demise of a company providing unique Apple SSD replacement parts, potential Fusion drive failure, and more.
Adobe/alternatives discussion talks about Affinity performance optimizations and scripting issues; IDMarkz/InDesign file conversion, Pagemaker/Quark history, etc.
MacInTouch Community discussions include the following topics, as well:
- Apple quality – 16-inch MacBook Pro bugs, other problems
- Email – spam filtering problems
- iOS 13 – bugs, other experiences, bad UI
- Linux – iOS connections; distro quality; security question
- macOS Catalina – keychain corruption mess
- Old systems – compilers, hard drives, nuclear simulator and more
- Passwords/Authentication – Google Titan Security Key?
- Raspberry Pi – do-it-yourself fun and firewalls
- Security – VLANs and “micro segmentation”, solar systems, home automation, iOT
- Thunderbolt – OWC dock failure, wake from sleep issues
- Utilities – Witch
Adobe and alternatives discussion talks about Affinity Publisher and InDesign/IDML conversion with IDMarkz (including notes from the developer), along with various publishing/business issues and experiences.
Email discussion digs deeply into issues with G Suite and Gmail setups, along with alternative email providers, anti-malware and anti-phishing services, the Mail-in-a-Box server, etc.
MacInTouch Community discussions include the following current topics, among others:
- Antivirus apps – F-Secure Safe
- Apple Mail – junk mail processing problems
- Apple security – stealth location tracking; Find My, U1 chip and iBeacons; GPS
- Apple TV – Dolby Vision HDR failure; Hulu bug
- Backups – Time Machine restore options/procedures
- Displays – dual-layer (LMCL) vs. OLED mastering monitors
- File systems – APFS boot issues/tests
- Firewalls – Ubiquity EdgeRouter, Pi-Hole, Raspberry Pi notes, etc.
- Input devices – Corsair RGB keyboard profiles
- iOS 13 – voice control; iOS 13 bugs and update issues
- Linux – iPad vs. Mac; distro review; laptops; dual-boot; terminal apps
- Mac Pro (classic) – video card compatibility
- MacBook Pro – sudden shutdown bugs; speaking popping; display ghosts; hackintoshes
- macOS Catalina – bugs, enterprise concerns, Unix shells, etc.
- Malware – cryptocurrency fileless Mac infection
- Old systems – old drives, DEC systems, Televideo, Macs, motorcycles, appliances, cars…
- Security – solar systems; X10; FBI warnings: Smart TVs and iOT
- Storage – Thunderbolt and USB SSDs – performance, compatibility, prices, etc.
- Thunderbolt – CalDigit TS3 Plus, OWC dock
- Two-factor authentication (2FA) – PayPal/Authy setup
- Utilities – LiteSwitchX replacement, TechTool Pro 12
- Vulnerabilities – VPN-busting bug